Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging
Donate! Join Today

Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging We're not claiming to be experts here but there is nothing wrong with a bit of user to user help!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2008, 17:32   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Ghosting

I was playing around with my Sony DCR-SR32E camcorder the other day familiarising myself with it when I noticed something odd.

Unintentionally I had pointed it at my TV, which was on, and the picture in the view screen had a ghosted band across the picture. Sometimes near the top, sometimes near the bottom or part way between or not at all for a few seconds or just slowly moving up and down.

Pointing the camcorder at my computer monitor did not result in that ghosted band. I should add that my computer monitor is an LCD screen, whereas the TV is a CRT type.

I can take a photo of the picture on the TV screen with my digital still camera without that ghosted band appearing so what’s going on?

Is this something that the manufacturers of camcorders have done to prevent people from ‘recording’ films/programmes on TV? I can place my camcorder on a tripod and adjust it so that it films just the screen, so it could be done in theory.
Old 14-09-2008, 18:15   #2
God Member

Re: Ghosting

Read about this before and IIRC its all down to different refresh rates

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 21:58   #3

Re: Ghosting

A CRT screen works on the basis of a line of electrons that scan down the screen. The bright band you see on digital images (on both stills cameras and video cameras) is the bit of the screen that is scanned while the shutter is open. The rest of the screen, if visible, is just the glowing remains of previously scanned phosphor.

If the band moves, it's just the result of a different in the time you take the picture. You'd expect it with stills, but with video, it's indicative of a TV and video camera that are not working exactly in synch.

An LCD screen will flicker as a whole, not in bands. It does have a screen refresh rate, like the CRT screen, but the whole screen refreshes simultaneously. The brightness if the image will be dependent on where the image is taken between one screen refresh and the next.
Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 11:18   #4
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Ghosting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
A CRT screen works on the basis of a line of electrons that scan down the screen. The bright band you see on digital images (on both stills cameras and video cameras) is the bit of the screen that is scanned while the shutter is open. The rest of the screen, if visible, is just the glowing remains of previously scanned phosphor.

If the band moves, it's just the result of a different in the time you take the picture. You'd expect it with stills, but with video, it's indicative of a TV and video camera that are not working exactly in synch.

An LCD screen will flicker as a whole, not in bands. It does have a screen refresh rate, like the CRT screen, but the whole screen refreshes simultaneously. The brightness if the image will be dependent on where the image is taken between one screen refresh and the next.
Although you weren’t to know, I am aware of how a CRT TV works, at least the old style. Technology has moved on since my day.

But thanks anyway, the picture is much clearer now. Er! Pun intended, I think!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..