Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging
Donate! Join Today

Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging We're not claiming to be experts here but there is nothing wrong with a bit of user to user help!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2007, 08:24   #1

photoshop

does anybody know were i can get a copy of photoshop with elements 5 cheap??
mrjdallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-03-2007, 08:41   #2
God Member

Re: photoshop

sorry, no idea on where you can get PS cheap, try looking on places liek DPReview.com

Have you tried/looked at "The GIMP", its free and pretty much just as powerful as PS

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 10:26   #3
God Member

just found that Scan have photoshop elements on their "today only" page which are normally cheap.

http://scan.co.uk/todayonly/ section 12

HTH

Old 28-03-2007, 22:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Have you tried/looked at "The GIMP", its free and pretty much just as powerful as PS
That is argueable. And even if you accept the idea that GIMP is near to photoshop's standard the bounty of resources and information on photoshop adds so much value to the program.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 06:56   #5
God Member

Ther is loads of resourecs for The GIMP(benefit of being open source) and its now supporting a lot of Photoshop add-ons.

I'd also argue that most photoshop users know less than half what it can do and use probably a quarter of what they do know.

Old 29-03-2007, 09:09   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Try looking at this little search engine here
Old 04-04-2007, 21:18   #7

Quote:
Ther is loads of resourecs for The GIMP(benefit of being open source) and its now supporting a lot of Photoshop add-ons.

I'd also argue that most photoshop users know less than half what it can do and use probably a quarter of what they do know.
You have 10 seconds to travel 100m or you die. Would you rather just manage that on a scooter or be in the next town within half the time in a Bugatti ?
Old 05-04-2007, 07:07   #8
God Member

I think you'd find that I'be over the line on the scooter before you had got settled in the Bugatti.

I fail to see what that has got to do with using the GIMP over Photoshop. The GIMP is extensible and scriptable for those 'regular' events. Familiarity breeds contempt and clearly you clearly snub your nose up at the idea that you can get something for 'free'. If you are genuinely a power user of photoshop and have some 'must have' feature that GIMP doesn't support then lets hear it.

Old 12-04-2007, 19:03   #9

Quote:
If you are genuinely a power user of photoshop and have some 'must have' feature that GIMP doesn't support then lets hear it.
A career path. The ability to move onto the next level if you want to.

GIMP will do the mundane household tasks but what if you find yourself wanting to go furthur ? You are limited to the capabilities of freeware.

Start off with photoshop and everything you do is another step to professionalism.
Old 12-04-2007, 19:35   #10
God Member

Career path - understanding just how to do something is far better at career progression than knowing just 'one' tool

I see you can't come up with anything specific. In fact I don't believe you've ever even started GIMP or investgated its capabilities. As for the throwaway 'freeware' comment I don't see you whingeing about all the 'freeweare' web servers that keep the internet going, or the 'freeware' software like this forum software or the freeware 'Linux OS' that is so ruibbish its used across everything from mission critical banking systems to satellites to mobiles to come to think about it more systems and devices than I can even be bothered to start thinking about.

Old 13-04-2007, 08:51   #11

Quote:
I see you can't come up with anything specific.
CMYK

Advanced Brush Settings

Highpass

Animation

^ Off the top of my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entiwisi

As for the throwaway 'freeware' comment I don't see you whingeing about all the 'freeweare' web servers that keep the internet going, or the 'freeware' software like this forum software or the freeware 'Linux OS' that is so ruibbish its used across everything from mission critical banking systems to satellites to mobiles to come to think about it more systems and devices than I can even be bothered to start thinking about.
Irrelevant, however Linux does seem to come into most of your posts so I shouldn't be suprised. Yes Linux and other freeware can do fantastic things, in some fields even exceeding software developed to sell however may I ask you the most commonly used OS ? The professionals choice in photo-editing ? Animation ? 3D Modelling ? Vector based work ?

Windows
Photoshop
Flash
3DS/C4D
Illustrator/Draw

All cost.

Yes sometimes freeware is just as good as if not better than it's costly alternative, but om the majority of cases you get what you pay for.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..