Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging
Donate! Join Today

Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging We're not claiming to be experts here but there is nothing wrong with a bit of user to user help!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-04-2007, 12:35   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Unhappy picture size

does anyone know how to make attachments bigger?
everytime i put a pic on like so..........Fish.jpg
its never bigger and i dont know how to do it....do you
Old 23-04-2007, 13:05   #2
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Re: picture size

anybody?...................1346.gif

someone must know
Old 23-04-2007, 13:08   #3
I am Banned

Put it in your image editor to increase its size
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 13:15   #4
God Member

geesh Panther, give us time to respond! 30 mins from posting your original request to posting a chaser! that must be a new record!

What you need to do is post the attachment then get teh URL for teh full sized image by copying the shortcut path then embedding it using the IMG tags.

However, you shouldn't be embedding images too large in a post as you have to remember not everyone has broadband. common sense says anything more than say 640x480 should be as an attachement that people can choose to click on or not

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 13:20   #5
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

elvis.gifthank you very much.......................
Old 27-04-2007, 22:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
common sense says anything more than say 640x480 should be as an attachement that people can choose to click on or not

As long as the pic is narrower than the screen the imagesize isn't really the problem. To be safe to 56kers just make sure the filesize is under 150k and you'll be fine. Adobe Photoshop makes it incredably easy to reduce an images file size using various image types. If anyone needs a hand give me a shout.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 04:30   #7
Len
God Member

Here at accyweb, we only allow images with a maximum width of around 550pixels to be posted into posts ‘due too some members only having small screen resolutions?’ We figure that images around 550pixels in width will fit comfortably into the boards without causing any problems. Anything posted bigger than 550 will be either removed or edited depending on whether the moderator at the time has any spare time to perform the edit, same goes with linked images from other sites.

Images above 550pixels in width should be left as an attachment and not be inserted into posts.

File sizes for images need to be kept as small as possible (50-60kb per image ‘smaller, even better’) you can display some decent images with a file size of around 50kb + -. The reasons for this, is how entwisi says “not everyone is on broad band” plus, images with small file sizes don’t use up to much space on the accyweb sever.

The maximum limit for uploading attachments is 100kb ‘you can see the limit when you’re uploading attachments’ but for some reason the forum software is allowing much greater file sizes to be uploaded and this needs correcting.

Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 05:35   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

If I remember correctly some people are allowed to upload bigger files and have a greater storage allowance than others. I think it has to do with donating or possible post count.

Here is what it lets me do
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Attachments.JPG (32.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: gif tumbleweed.gif (45.3 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by Neil; 14-01-2011 at 10:53.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 11:03   #9
Len
God Member

Thanks for that Neil. I’ve just double checked my attachment Key and it’s the same as yours. This explains why some images have been quite large.
Perhaps that when the forum software was upgraded, when the new files over wrote the old files maybe some of the customized settings had been set back to default? I'm sure, after the upgrade, Roy will have re adjusted the customizable setting but it looks like there’s still some fine tuning to be done.
I don’t think Roy will have set the maximum file size for an image to 500kb, I’m not sure now but I don’t think even the gallery allowed images of that size without them being automatically resized.

As an example of good image width/size, look at mani’s post, these images are only around 40-60kb. So you see, theres no real need for them to be 500kb.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/s...20&postcount=1

Old 28-04-2007, 11:06   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I think you will find a non donater will have smaller limits. Maybe someone could check for us.
Old 28-04-2007, 11:09   #11
Len
God Member

yes, I would like to know myself. Can anyone help?

Old 28-04-2007, 12:10   #12
God Member

No - its exactly the same

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 12:40   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
No - its exactly the same
That might be 'cus of your post count.
Old 28-04-2007, 16:21   #14
Len
God Member

Anyway it doesn’t matter and thanks Ken, although I’m almost sure it shouldn’t be 500kb. Roy will have to look into it and get it sorted, if he hasn’t already.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..