Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging
Donate! Join Today

Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging We're not claiming to be experts here but there is nothing wrong with a bit of user to user help!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2006, 21:21   #16
God Member

Re: Vivitar 283 flash Gun and Fuji.

Its not that important, it all depends what kind of shot you are after, the flash will work in P A S and M
P is a programmed auto mode,
if you want to specify shutter speed ie to capture a fast moving subject or to show "movement" in a photo use S
If you want to show everything in the photo in focus or to exagerate DOF (depth of field) ie the main subject is in focus and the background is blurred use A
M is full manual where you can set everything yourself.
Remember if you use S and you set the shutter speed the aperture is set for you and visa versa if you use A

edit - Just found this for you, this gives a good explanation from someone who can put it in better words than I can :-)

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 24-02-2006 at 21:35.
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-02-2006, 21:54   #17
Len
God Member

Thanks for that KSH, perhaps I should have asked what is the recommended iso setting while using a flash?
I know the higher the iso the faster the film. hehe

So I would have thought that by using a flash producing bright light the iso would be quite low, say 80,100 or 200 but when experimenting I found that those settings were to slow and produced dark images. So I set the iso to 400 and got fairly good results using the flash.
I know with my old practica slr when I had a 400 film fitted, for using in not so good lighting conditions I had to hold the camera very still because of the relatively slow shutter speed I had to select due to the bad lighting.
Would this not be the same for my digital camera i.e. having it set at 400 even though I'm using a flash

Last edited by Len; 24-02-2006 at 21:57.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 18:38   #18
God Member

I tend to do a lot of portraits and I personally use 100 sometimes 200, using the camera outside i use 80 unless it is a very dull day then I up it to 100 or 200, If I go out at night say to a family get together in a club I will go to 400 but no more than that as I feel the images are too grainy and I dont like them that way.
What angle have you got the flash at? have you tried other positions? I usually have mine at 60 if i'm not bouncing it back, mine has a diffuser on it though so it will still throw some light forward Heres one you might want to try adding a peice of card just to see if improves anything like this

www.ubuntu.com

Old 28-02-2006, 14:33   #19
God Member

How you getting on with the flash? did you use it at the meet?
I did a test the other day using the Vivitar and had the camera set at iso 80 and it worked well, meant to try it without the diffuser on but forgot :-(

www.ubuntu.com

Old 28-02-2006, 16:34   #20
Len
God Member

I used the flash at the meeting. I had it in P mode and I had the iso set at 400 because any lower the images would be very dark.

See below.
P mode... iso set at 80 with flash bounced of the the ceiling.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/gallery...o/3243/cat/604

Last edited by Len; 28-02-2006 at 17:11.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:50   #21
God Member

Thats not right, I just tried the same settings and mine was OK, try this for me and see what you get
Put in M mode, set shutter to 4000 iso to 80 and set iso to 3.6, set the asa on the flash to 80 (1 notch past the 64 mark) set the thyristor to M and point the flash full on

www.ubuntu.com

Old 01-03-2006, 18:56   #22
Len
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H
set shutter to 4000 iso to 80 and set iso to 3.6, set the asa on the flash to 80 (1 notch past the 64 mark) set the thyristor to M and point the flash full on
OK done what you asked.
shutter to 4000, iso 80, F3.6.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/gallery...o=3253&cat=604

Donate to Accyweb here:
Old 02-03-2006, 06:42   #23
God Member

From the 1st photo it didn't look like the flash was doing anything and I though it might have been out of sync but now you have used the fastest shutter speed it shows that it isn't.
When you say you bounced it off the ceiling did you mean you had the flash pointing straight up? have you tried different angles, I usually use 60 degrees.
Do you want to try out my diffuser? you can try the flash as well if you like to see if there is any difference

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 02-03-2006 at 14:19.
Old 02-03-2006, 18:41   #24
Len
God Member

I think it was straight up. So I did the tests again, one at 60deg and another straight up and there wasn’t mush difference in brightness between the two.
The flash is second hand and perhaps it’s busted.
Would be good if I could check mine against another working camera and flash unit.
I haven’t a clue, if I can’t get them to work together than I won’t use them

Donate to Accyweb here:
Old 05-03-2006, 21:03   #25
Len
God Member

I managed this shot using direct flash. I had the shutter speed very high about 3000 and F3.7. iso set at 80 and in Manual mode.
Better than my earlier attempts but I’ll have to remember how I did it. hehe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asaaa.jpg (71.2 KB, 59 views)
Old 06-03-2006, 04:56   #26
God Member

Thats a bit brighter

www.ubuntu.com

Old 11-03-2006, 19:26   #27
God Member

You sorted it out now Len?
Did you fit the screen protector I gave you OK?
Any better now you got a diffuser?

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 23-03-2006 at 20:27.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..