Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging
Donate! Join Today

Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging We're not claiming to be experts here but there is nothing wrong with a bit of user to user help!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2006, 20:03   #1
Len
God Member

Vivitar 283 flash Gun and Fuji.

I have a Fuji S9500 digital camera and I have just acquired a Vivitar 283 flash gun, made in China and apparently it has a 6Volt trigger voltage, so it should be safe for digital cameras.

Thing is I’m not sure on how to set them up to work with each other.
Anyone got any suggestions? (KSH )
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-02-2006, 20:09   #2

Re: Vivitar 283 flash Gun and Fuji.

No but good choice of camera mate....i've aquired a 9500 myself and i must say i'm impressed!!

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 20:17   #3
Len
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINGY
No but good choice of camera mate....i've aquired a 9500 myself and i must say i'm impressed!!
I’m still trying to get to grips with it.

Donate to Accyweb here:
Old 22-02-2006, 21:08   #4
God Member

Hi Len, Yeah your Ok with that as long as it is made in China, they range from 6v to 12v trigger voltage, Japan made ones though go to about 600v and will fry most digital camera's, Fuji 9500's can handle a trigger voltage up to 400v.
1 Thing you will have to remember is they are not dedicated flash's so wont work like the internal one, you will have to set it manually and usually point it up about 45 degrees or even straight up and bounce off the ceiling, it all depends what kind of effect you are after, you will be better with a diffuser on it as well as these are very powerful flash guns, they can be got for about £8 - £12 mines a stofen. Unless you are taking a photo of something about 100feet away you will rarely use it straight on as it will blow everything out and will just end up with a white image.
How to use, did you get a manual? if not i'll do you a copy of one (if I can find it!)
set the asa the same as the iso you are using, select or view the aperture setting on the camera, look up your setting on the flash'd dial and it will have a colour band over it - set the thyristor to that colour and your done
Sounds complicated but it isn't, trial and error is a good way of learning it, try it, you wont break owt
Let me know if you need more help.
How you liking the camera - and you wingy
You'll probably find like i did that its not a very good fully auto camera, you'll soon be into manual to get the pics you want

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 21:44   #5
Len
God Member

I have manuals for both the camera and the flash gun.
I am hoping to use the camera in doors, Accyweb meetings etc.

In the Fuji manual it says I can use external flash in P.S.A.M modes which means…. not a lot to me.

At the moment I’m trying it in P mode and I have the iso set at 80 or should that be higher around 200 iso.
Old 22-02-2006, 21:51   #6
Len
God Member

I found that the built in flash on the S9500 is a bit weak compared to my compact Olympus Camedia C-3020 Zoom., this is why I decided to get myself an add on flash.
I had to laugh thou, as I hadn’t realized the size of the flash gun. Hehe
I got it off Ebay.
Old 22-02-2006, 21:56   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I bet it is as big as the camera
Old 22-02-2006, 21:58   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len
I have manuals for both the camera and the flash gun.
I am hoping to use the camera in doors, Accyweb meetings etc.

In the Fuji manual it says I can use external flash in P.S.A.M modes which means…. not a lot to me.

At the moment I’m trying it in P mode and I have the iso set at 80 or should that be higher around 200 iso.
Yeah it has to be one of those, ie you cant use it in auto mode
p = programmed auto
s = shutter priority
a = aperture priority
m = full manual
For 80 iso you will need good lighting, I always keep mine on 80 unless the light is a bit low then i change it accordingly, 200's a good average and I haven't used above 400 as the pics get to grainy then.
Have you been trying facing the flash at the subject? it wont work, not even on the lowest flash setting, point it upwards and bounce the flash off the ceiling - you'll see what i mean

www.ubuntu.com

Old 22-02-2006, 21:59   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I bet it is as big as the camera
Not quite but its getting there lol, i've tested this at around 80ft and it works very well

www.ubuntu.com

Old 22-02-2006, 22:06   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len
I found that the built in flash on the S9500 is a bit weak compared to my compact Olympus Camedia C-3020 Zoom., this is why I decided to get myself an add on flash.
I had to laugh thou, as I hadn’t realized the size of the flash gun. Hehe
I got it off Ebay.
I didn't think the flash was too bad and good enough for around 12 ft
You can turn the flash up, just had a look in the book for you and its page 69

www.ubuntu.com

Old 22-02-2006, 22:51   #11
Len
God Member

I’m afraid that I can’t do anymore tests as my batteries have now gone flat and will now need charging. ******.

I have only used my camera in Auto mode and never used any of the other modes. I was trying the flash adjustments in P mode when the battery went flat. I see that you can’t adjust the flash brightness in Auto mode only in P,S,A,M.
Also while doing the tests I had my vivitar set to Manual.
Old 24-02-2006, 21:27   #12
Len
God Member

I’ve done a few tests now and had to re set the white balance, it seems better to have the iso set at 400 for indoors while using the flash. I had to bounce the flash off the ceiling as pointing the flash directly at the subject gave me a complete image white out.

Donate to Accyweb here:

Last edited by Len; 24-02-2006 at 21:30.
Old 24-02-2006, 21:38   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len
I’ve done a few tests now and had to re set the white balance, it seems better to have the iso set at 400 for indoors while using the flash. I had to bounce the flash off the ceiling as pointing the flash directly at the subject I got a complete white out.
Yeah you should set the white balance for every kind of lighting, if you read the manual it tells you how to do it with a peice of card, grey cards can be bought for doing this, I have a handy collapsable grey card from lastolite, it really does make a difference when you do a custom white balance.
at home when i'm doing portraits I know what my lighting is and have a white balance pre-set in the camera, I use 2 vivitars which are both bounced and not pointed direct. Its usually better to bounce it anyway as this reduces any shadows
Just keep trying different settings you will soon pick it up, all seems a bit confusing at 1st when youre getting pure white pictures
What I do if i'm not sure is set the camera on M and set to the aperture I want to use then take a test shot with the flash on and at 45 degrees, if its blown out select a faster shutter speed

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 24-02-2006 at 21:40.
Old 24-02-2006, 21:55   #14
Len
God Member

I used a white piece of paper to set the custom white balance. I held it about 4 inches away from the front of the lens and filled the whole of the view finder then bounce the flash from the ceiling. All my tests at the moment have been in P mode.
Old 24-02-2006, 22:01   #15
Len
God Member

Can you tell me …. Does it matter which modes you have the camera set too while using the flash or is it not that important?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..