Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging
Donate! Join Today

Photoshop, Digital Photography, Digital Imaging We're not claiming to be experts here but there is nothing wrong with a bit of user to user help!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2004, 11:25   #16
Len
God Member

Re: What a small world.

Aussie Gobbiner

The photos are good dave. Have you just put them together today?

Quote:
Len, is there anyone place in particular that you remember vividly that I can go and take a snap of so you can see the changes
Thanks for that offer Dave. The thing is I could come up with a massive list and we don't really want to do that. The only thing I would appreciate would be a photo/photos of the old hostel site, which was on Five Island road between Cringila and Unanderra. So if ever you were passing through that way it would be brill if you could take a photo so I can add it to my web site. I have no doubt that there will be something like industrial units on the old site now.

The photo I have added is of Kiama Blow Hole 1969.
The bloke in the pic is my old man. At that time he was a lot younger than what I am now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blow-hole.jpg (44.7 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Len; 13-03-2004 at 12:04.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-03-2004, 21:27   #17

The panoramic of Kiama I did about 3 years ago the other one I did only last week, must of known something was going on! Good photo of your old man and blowhole Len, meaning that any photo taken in 1969 had the mandatory durry between the fingers..
Leave it with me I'll see what I can do... same goes for any other readers that have ties with the Illawarra from years ago, if you have a vivid memory of what a particular place looked like let me know and I'll try me best to get an up to date snap of it..
Old 14-03-2004, 06:55   #18

Went for a Sunday drive around the lake today and took my trusty Fuji Finepix S602Z
Picture 1 - Is taken at Berkeley Fish Co-Op Northcliff Drive looking out over Lake Illawarra. I have made a minor adjustment to the image using PSP... I added another pelican can you see which is the one that shouldn't be there.
Picture 2 - Is from the same location and looking up to Lake Heights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lake_01.jpg (92.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg lake_02.jpg (97.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 14-03-2004, 07:11   #19

Went for a look up around Lake Heights as well...

Picture 1 - Len, this is were the old Hostel "Karingal" used to be, as you can see it is has now been redeveloped and used for soccer. Is 'Karingal" the one you stayed at? The other two hostels were located in Berkeley somewhere around where Sussex St is now and the other in Fairy Meadow which is now also a soccer ground... My Uncle and Aunt stayed at the one in Fairy Meadow back around 1950 or so... I mentioned in a previous post that my family came out in 1956 in fact it was 1954 on the 10th March, 50 years anniversary a couple of days ago.. I wouldn't of known if my sister hadn't of emailed me about it!
I used PSP to join two photos together to give it a wider view...

Picture 2 - Is taken from the top of Lake Heights Road off Flagstaff Road looking down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lake_04.jpg (44.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg lake_05.jpg (92.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 14-03-2004, 07:18   #20

This picture is the main Highway through Albion Park Rail, back in 1970 it used to be a two lane road and I used to belt accross it on my push bike without looking...

I cropped the image in PSP and used filters to enhance..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg apr_01.jpg (52.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 14-03-2004, 10:31   #21
Len
God Member

Aussie Gobbiner

Great photos.
I remember Lake Heights Rd. We travelled up there every day going to school. I went to Warrawong High, which is on Flagstaff Rd. My best mate lived on Grand view Pde, off Lake Heights Rd. Our family lived on Denise st off North Cliffe Dive, at that time it was opposite the Illawarra Yacht Club.

I haven't heard of a hostel called Karingal or seen any info on it. Can you tell me where was it located? As far as I'm aware there was Berkeley, Unanderra and Fairymeadow.
Our family stayed at Unanderra Hostel.

There used to be a bloke that lived on North Cliffe Drive, Lake heights and his property back up onto the lake. He had a jetty and you could hire canoes/boats from him .His name was Stan Dix? I believe he had published a couple of books about fishing. I don't suppose he will be with us now as he was an old fellow then.
Dave did you ever go prawning in the Lake? We did. We had our own prawning nets and we would wade out into the Lake with our nets and pump up gas lamps. During the right season (full moon) the lake edges would be full of people catching prawns. That was good fun.
p.s.
My old man gave up smoking in 1972 ish

Last edited by Len; 14-03-2004 at 12:52.
Old 14-03-2004, 10:42   #22
Len
God Member

Looking at the photos,
it seems they don't have any problems parking their cars like we do.
It's becoming a nightmare here to park your car in front of your home.
Old 14-03-2004, 10:46   #23
Len
God Member

If anyone wishes to see where Aussie Gobbiner Lives.
then take a look at the map I have done.

Albion Park
Attached Images
File Type: jpg where_is_hostel2.jpg (85.4 KB, 75 views)
Old 14-03-2004, 12:26   #24
Len
God Member

Ok I found Karingal Hostel it was in Cringila.(for unmarried men) owned by the Australian iron and steel works,Port Kembla.(AIS)

The soccer fields are at the bottom of Cringila on the junctions of Five Island rd and Springhill rd. I played soccer there when I played for the Berkeley east soccer club(1971 ish) but I dont remember any buildings.
Also our schools pupils stood there when The Queen drove by,(1972 ish). lol

Last edited by Len; 18-03-2004 at 11:52.
Old 17-03-2004, 22:17   #25

You have us thinking here Len, been asking the brother in law who used to deliver food parcels to all the hostels in the region... He was 16 yo at the time and remembers Berkeley, Fairy Meadow and Karingal but having trouble working out the Unanderra one.... do you remember the building or buildings and any land marks close to you at the time.
Old 17-03-2004, 23:16   #26
Len
God Member

Aussie Gobbiner

Hi dave.
I think so. I shall try and give you some directions.
From the bottom of Cringila turn left along Five Islands road towards Unanderra/ Figtree.
I think it might have been about 500yards from there on the left hand side because on the right hand side was the rail track and the creek. The only large building next to the Hostel was owned by a firm called Stuart and Lloyds. I think it was a fabrication company. It was on the left hand side of the Hostel if you were to be looking out from the Hostel towards the creek.
Also there was a tall electrical pylon which had been errected while we was there and that was next to a large diameter drain pipe. We used to walk through that with torches.
Hope that helps.

Donate to Accyweb here:

Last edited by Len; 18-03-2004 at 11:39.
Old 18-03-2004, 01:11   #27

Ok Len, i know exactly where you mean... On Sunday I was across five island road next to the old railway line and took several photos looking north... I joined them together using the software that came with my camera see below.... The next time I go over there I will do it again at the right spot...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg five_islands_road.jpg (28.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-04-2004, 13:16   #28

Hi Aussie Gobbiner
I work with the elderly and up until last August I ran a Lancashire County Council home for the elderly in Ossy, Peel Court on Haworth St (next to the theatre). Maybe your dad might have known some of the residents most of which came from the area. Sadly LCC have closed most of there residential homes and Peel Court was one of them.
Here are just a few - John Whitford, Robert (Bob) Fishwick, Jeannie Kerrigan (if he knowns any of these he will know her, she was originally from Scotland but sang and played in the local pubs. Rose Callender, Mary Duggan, Doris Barnes this lady told us when she was 18 she road a horse through the town naked (lady Gadiva),for a small fee,so im sure if you were around at the time thats somthing you wouldnt forget!!!.
Nice to met you
goldilox from Clayton le Moors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Gobbiner
This is me old dad... 83 years old this year, legally blind and still doing his woodwork. An old gobbin and WWII fighter pilot (Hurricanes) ... Born at 154 New Lane, Ossy, 1921.... Anyone recognise him.... Before immigrating to Australia he lived at Brown Cow Cottage, 21 Grove st, Wham Brook Cottage, Jack House, Hoyle Bottom, 3 Eagle St and finally at 56 Trinity St... he certainly got around!
goldilox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2004, 04:48   #29

Hi Goldilox,
Was talking to me dad today, took around a print out of your post which he read with the help of his enlarger through the telly. He'll probably be thinking for days now whilst he works away with his wood turning.. He knows Mary Duggan and remembers that she was with the local Operatic Society and he last saw her perform in 1974 when we were over there for a visit. She attended St Marys Catholic Church. Bob Fishwick has him stumped but remembers a Harry Fishwick who played cricket for Church and worked at Lang Bridges. Also remembers Michael Duggan, Marys brother who worked at Hothersalls Chemist in Union Road ( from what his memory recalls )....
Has no recollection of the naked lady riding a horse through town, probably happened when he was younger...!
Thanks
Aussie Gobbiner
Old 18-06-2009, 01:25   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Gobbiner View Post
Went for a look up around Lake Heights as well...

Picture 1 - Len, this is were the old Hostel "Karingal" used to be, as you can see it is has now been redeveloped and used for soccer. Is 'Karingal" the one you stayed at? The other two hostels were located in Berkeley somewhere around where Sussex St is now and the other in Fairy Meadow which is now also a soccer ground... My Uncle and Aunt stayed at the one in Fairy Meadow back around 1950 or so... I mentioned in a previous post that my family came out in 1956 in fact it was 1954 on the 10th March, 50 years anniversary a couple of days ago.. I wouldn't of known if my sister hadn't of emailed me about it!
I used PSP to join two photos together to give it a wider view...

Picture 2 - Is taken from the top of Lake Heights Road off Flagstaff Road looking down.
Hi I hope you dont mind but I notice that you stayed on Karingal Hostel would that have been during 1971 by any chance, I have been trying to find a very good friend I knew on Fairy Meadow Hostel his name was Jon Loiz he was 21 yrs at the time a very good gymnast and artist he moved to Karingal in 1971 whilst working for the Steelworks, I have been looking for this guy for 39 years and if you have any recollection of him I would be so greatful as I am trying to track him down I believe he was Austrian not sure if I have the correct surname. I used to live in Wollongong but have lived on Gold Coast for 15 years hope you can help or no anyone that can much appreciated Jeanette
Veronica313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..