Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music, Bands, Noise! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f92/)
-   -   Accrington Stanley - 1970's rock band (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f92/accrington-stanley-1970s-rock-band-7476.html)

Wynonie Harris 26-01-2005 13:15

Accrington Stanley - 1970's rock band

Does anybody know anything about a band called Accrington Stanley who formed in 1970 and were around for only a year or two? Their members comprised Rod Hill and Dave Foster - both ex-Warriors - Jim Payne - from Gideon's Way(?) - Brian Johnstone and Dave "Wammy" Walmsley (Who I saw gigging outside a bar in Benidorm just last week!).

They played the top London clubs like the Marquee and were all set to be signed to the Rolling Stones' record label, then for some reason they fell apart. Anybody got any info on them?

Wez 26-01-2005 16:25

Re: Accrington Stanley - 1970's rock band

Never heard of them.

I wouldn't mind hearing their stuff though!

K.S.H 26-01-2005 18:53

hows this
Dave Walmsley's still around, "Wammy"

Wynonie Harris 27-01-2005 07:49

Already found those sites in my quest for more information, but thanks anyway, K.S.H.

The event that prompted this query was my holiday in Benidorm last week. I was walking along a street when I came across Wammy serenading an audience of elderly Brits at an open air bar with "Wooden Heart". I was so surprised to see him that I immediately shouted out "Wammy!" and began jumping up and down, pointing to the "Accrington Stanley Pride of Lancashire" legend on my T-shirt. He abandoned his song and began jumping up and down too, shouting "Accy Stanley! Accy Stanley!" while the audience looked on in amazement (and my missus quickly moved to the other side of the street, pretending she had nothing to do with me).

I managed to have a word with him and, apparently, he comes over for six weeks' worth of gigs at this time every year. It's a mighty long way down rock 'n' roll from the Marquee to a bar in Benidorm, but he certainly seemed happy and well!

simon 02-02-2005 10:34

Wynonie.. I spoke to jimmy paynes Mum last night, She remembers the band her son was in called "Accrington Stanley" and said she has a big poster on her wall of them, she has promised to get a few things together to show me :).

If you wanna know anything in particular ask, and I'll ask her ;)

Wynonie Harris 02-02-2005 11:58

Cheers for enquiring Simon. Alan Gilmartin has kindly provided me with Jim's email address, so I'm going to ask him a few things about the band. It'd be interesting to see the stuff she shows you - maybe you could scan it and show it on here?

dave wammy walmsley 07-03-2010 11:57

When I finally finish my 'Autobiography', You will find, 'more or Less' all the information you will probably need to satify your curiosity. Jim Payne, (ex Accy' Stan' Drummer) has helped me with some of the info regarding the Band. Meanwhile you may lookup Dave Foster's web site. It containes a few photos of us lot!

My Book will be called- 'It's Later than you Think'. have fun! Kind regards-
Dave WAMMY Walmsley-I was the Guitarist with the band, together with Rod Hill.

Wynonie Harris 08-03-2010 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave wammy walmsley (Post 794940)
When I finally finish my 'Autobiography', You will find, 'more or Less' all the information you will probably need to satify your curiosity. Jim Payne, (ex Accy' Stan' Drummer) has helped me with some of the info regarding the Band. Meanwhile you may lookup Dave Foster's web site. It containes a few photos of us lot!

Looking forward to that, Wammy. Did Jim tell you he has what is possibly the only recorded track by Accrington Stanley in existence - "Days of Men and Women" - one for your career-spanning retrospective compilation, I reckon!

smudge1 22-04-2012 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave wammy walmsley (Post 794940)

Dave its Sue Harrison please can I have your e mail address x

Butter 08-04-2018 21:35

Anyone know at what point and for how long keyboardist Brian Johnston was involved with Accrington Stanley? Very curious, as there seems to be a lot of uncertainty about it. Brian must’ve joined the band directly after leaving the band White Plains, sometime between June and October of 1970. I noticed on David Foster’s website there’s a promo photo with lots of info written under each band member, but the print’s too small to read, unfortunately.