Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2005, 14:15   #1
Super Moderator

Accrington Stanley - 1970's rock band

Does anybody know anything about a band called Accrington Stanley who formed in 1970 and were around for only a year or two? Their members comprised Rod Hill and Dave Foster - both ex-Warriors - Jim Payne - from Gideon's Way(?) - Brian Johnstone and Dave "Wammy" Walmsley (Who I saw gigging outside a bar in Benidorm just last week!).

They played the top London clubs like the Marquee and were all set to be signed to the Rolling Stones' record label, then for some reason they fell apart. Anybody got any info on them?
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-01-2005, 17:25   #2
Wez

Re: Accrington Stanley - 1970's rock band

Never heard of them.

I wouldn't mind hearing their stuff though!
Old 26-01-2005, 19:53   #3
God Member

hows this
Dave Walmsley's still around, "Wammy"

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 26-01-2005 at 19:57.
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2005, 08:49   #4
Super Moderator

Already found those sites in my quest for more information, but thanks anyway, K.S.H.

The event that prompted this query was my holiday in Benidorm last week. I was walking along a street when I came across Wammy serenading an audience of elderly Brits at an open air bar with "Wooden Heart". I was so surprised to see him that I immediately shouted out "Wammy!" and began jumping up and down, pointing to the "Accrington Stanley Pride of Lancashire" legend on my T-shirt. He abandoned his song and began jumping up and down too, shouting "Accy Stanley! Accy Stanley!" while the audience looked on in amazement (and my missus quickly moved to the other side of the street, pretending she had nothing to do with me).

I managed to have a word with him and, apparently, he comes over for six weeks' worth of gigs at this time every year. It's a mighty long way down rock 'n' roll from the Marquee to a bar in Benidorm, but he certainly seemed happy and well!
Old 02-02-2005, 11:34   #5
Senior Member+

Wynonie.. I spoke to jimmy paynes Mum last night, She remembers the band her son was in called "Accrington Stanley" and said she has a big poster on her wall of them, she has promised to get a few things together to show me .

If you wanna know anything in particular ask, and I'll ask her
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:58   #6
Super Moderator

Cheers for enquiring Simon. Alan Gilmartin has kindly provided me with Jim's email address, so I'm going to ask him a few things about the band. It'd be interesting to see the stuff she shows you - maybe you could scan it and show it on here?
Old 07-03-2010, 12:57   #7

When I finally finish my 'Autobiography', You will find, 'more or Less' all the information you will probably need to satify your curiosity. Jim Payne, (ex Accy' Stan' Drummer) has helped me with some of the info regarding the Band. Meanwhile you may lookup Dave Foster's web site. It containes a few photos of us lot!

My Book will be called- 'It's Later than you Think'. have fun! Kind regards-
Dave WAMMY Walmsley-I was the Guitarist with the band, together with Rod Hill.
dave wammy walmsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 20:12   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave wammy walmsley View Post
When I finally finish my 'Autobiography', You will find, 'more or Less' all the information you will probably need to satify your curiosity. Jim Payne, (ex Accy' Stan' Drummer) has helped me with some of the info regarding the Band. Meanwhile you may lookup Dave Foster's web site. It containes a few photos of us lot!

Looking forward to that, Wammy. Did Jim tell you he has what is possibly the only recorded track by Accrington Stanley in existence - "Days of Men and Women" - one for your career-spanning retrospective compilation, I reckon!
Old 22-04-2012, 17:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave wammy walmsley View Post

Dave its Sue Harrison please can I have your e mail address x
smudge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 21:35   #10

Anyone know at what point and for how long keyboardist Brian Johnston was involved with Accrington Stanley? Very curious, as there seems to be a lot of uncertainty about it. Brian must’ve joined the band directly after leaving the band White Plains, sometime between June and October of 1970. I noticed on David Foster’s website there’s a promo photo with lots of info written under each band member, but the print’s too small to read, unfortunately.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..