Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Best of the Mancs?
Joy Division/New Order 8 22.86%
The Smiths (inc. Morrissey) 13 37.14%
Happy Mondays 0 0%
The Stone Roses (inc. Ian Brown) 8 22.86%
Oasis 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2006, 22:20   #1
God Member

Battle of the Mancs

Some of the best bands from the past 20 years hailed from Manchester but which was/is the best?

Stone Roses get it for me; the gig at Spike Island started it all and well the rest is history. If only the second album could have been their best work.
Ian Brown is still going strong as a solo artist and arguably makes better music than the 'Roses!

Last edited by shakermaker; 20-01-2006 at 20:18.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-01-2006, 17:30   #2

Re: Battle of the Mancs

Joy Division any day, the first time I heard them I felt the hairs on my arms stand up and every time I hear Atmosphere it still happens.

The tour they supported the Buzzcocks was the first time I saw a crowd dwindle before the headline. (the second was when Jane's Addiction supported The Wonderstuff but that's another story for another day.)

They inspired so many bands and even when New Order went d*sco they were still good. How many bands can say that?

Thank you John Peel for introducing me to these, and so many other bands I would never have heard otherwise, R.I.P.
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 17:31   #3
God Member

R.I.P Ian Curtis, also.
Old 15-01-2006, 17:36   #4

True, I still have a problem with the fact John Peel is dead even after a year. Yesterday I put on Radio 4 to listen to Home Truths and it took me 10 minutes to remeber he had gone. (Mind you part of that is probably senility)
Old 15-01-2006, 17:40   #5
God Member

I'm only 17 but when i first really getting into 'proper' music; John Peel was always on the radio giving me suggestions! I was listening to 'Lennon Day' on Radio 1 a few months ago and they played a John Peel show from when Lennon released 'Two Virgins' LP; and they started singing 'Now Or Never' to fill time before the news! even started whistling when they ran out of lyrics! brilliant
Old 15-01-2006, 17:49   #6

Favouite band is Jane's Addiction, or Joy Division varies on my mood, but I like anything that show's innovation or is exciting, such as Sly and The Family Stone or Interpol. Just am not interested in current dance like my 14 year old stepdaughter plays (same song different band).
Old 15-01-2006, 17:51   #7
God Member

my favourite band is The Verve, but The Stone Roses started it all off for me
Old 15-01-2006, 17:56   #8

Got to ask these then
a) Did you (like lots of folk I know) thin Ian Brown was pnts at Glastonbury this year?

b) What did you think of the Seahorses?
Old 15-01-2006, 18:02   #9
God Member

King Monkey wasnt that bad! the trouble with festivals and the long standing artists like Ian Brown,Oasis etc. is that they have so many songs that everyone wants to hear in so little time. Plus by the time he came on everyone was absolutely tw@tted.
I liked his performance of 'I Wanna Be Adored'.

Sorry to say I've never heard Seahorses to be honest.

Last edited by shakermaker; 15-01-2006 at 18:18.
Old 15-01-2006, 18:59   #10

Seahorses album was decent but not earthshaking. Always thought Squires was more innovative but looking at both their solo/post roses stuff they needed each other.

Oh BTW there is a bar in York called Stone Roses & yes it is based round them.
Old 18-01-2006, 19:20   #11

smiths without a doubt....
Old 19-01-2006, 21:35   #12
Junior Member+

Smiths win it for me, no contest. I have to confess to liking the Inspiral Carpets though...cool as f*** as they used to say!
Klactoveesedstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006, 11:44   #13
God Member

Inspiral Carpets were good....they had a certain famous roadie didnt they......a young N.Gallagher!
Old 20-01-2006, 20:14   #14
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robdunn24
smiths without a doubt....
Exactly what I was thinking.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006, 20:17   #15
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Come on there are 3 of us in this thread who say The Smiths but only 2 votes, very strange unless someone forgot to vote.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..