Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2012, 19:53   #1

Best Era

Which five year spell is the best era for music. I'm going for 1977 - 1982. The Clash. The Specials. Madness The Jam Stiff Little Fingers......
Claytoner40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-10-2012, 20:49   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Best Era

Fer me 58-63 was pure class.Jerry Lee Lewis,Everlys,Connie Francis,Chuck Berry.Buddy Holly, Little Richard,Roy Orbison, The list is endless.
Old 18-10-2012, 21:32   #4

Both great eras for different reasons. Because of my parents listening habits I'd pick 63 - 68 from those two although Cashys choice is brilliant. My worst era would be circa 71 - 76. The Sex Pistols soon revived it though
Old 18-10-2012, 22:01   #5
Super Moderator

1948-1953 or thereabouts...Wynonie Harris, Roy Brown, Amos Milburn, La Vern Baker, Ruth Brown, Big Joe Turner, Smiley Lewis, Tiny Bradshaw, Bullmoose Jackson, Roy Milton, Joe Liggins, Jimmy Liggins, Little Esther Phillips, Hank Ballard & The Midnighters, The 5 Royales, The Dominoes, Big Jay McNeely, Joe Houston, Chuck Higgins and loads more you've never heard of (apart from Cashy) all in their prime.
Old 18-10-2012, 22:10   #6

Are Wynonies groups any good Cashy?
Old 18-10-2012, 22:21   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Superb got quite a few of em meself.
Old 18-10-2012, 22:42   #8
Full Member+

I'll go for 70-77 - Jethro Tull, Wishbone Ash, UFO, early Queen, Thin Lizzy, Uriah Heep, Prog Rock and the birth of Heavy Metal...!!!

Wynonie, I've never heard of any of yours (apart from a couple you've put on the jukebox)...!!!
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 00:31   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
I'll go for 70-77 - Jethro Tull, Wishbone Ash, UFO, early Queen, Thin Lizzy, Uriah Heep, Prog Rock and the birth of Heavy Metal...!!!

Wynonie, I've never heard of any of yours (apart from a couple you've put on the jukebox)...!!!
You and the rest of the world, Steve! Tell you what though, although every name on your list is anathema to me, fair play for sticking to your musical guns, unfashionable though they may be.

Respect to you, sir!
Old 19-10-2012, 04:38   #10

I love Anathema

I can't pick just one. I love 80s' metal, Lee Aaron etc, but my tastes cover so much of the 80s and 90s, and there's some great metal about nowadays as well. I'll get off your thread
Old 19-10-2012, 06:33   #11

Don't worry Sugarmouse I don't mind a thread wander that's what happens in conversation. Prog rock is boring in my opinion although some metal is good. This weekend I'm going to find some of Wynonies stuff and give it a try. I stand to be converted but music didn't start until Cashys lot came in
Old 19-10-2012, 08:30   #12
Senior Member+

Generally people always like the music best when they were teenagers and they bonded with a certain kind of music. All in all my fav era is the 80's to about 97.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 18:27   #13
Senior Member+

For the era... I can't select years.. I'll go for 1920's - Present day

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Generally people always like the music best when they were teenagers
I guess I am not general then. (or)

1984-- I am 6 years years old and have an obsession for a Beatles tape. I changed the lyrics to Yellow submarine to Tub of margarine. How lyrical of me

1989-- I am 11 years old and started to like Heavy Metal. Iron maiden, Metallica, Megadeth(always and will be forever better than Metallica) etc.

1991-- 13 years old and I borrow a CD by Nirvana and copy it to tape. Album is nevermind. I listened to Nirvana religiously for many years

Between 1994 and 2000. Tastes changed a little. Started listening to Talking Heads, Tim Buckley, Love & Arthur Lee, Sheryl Crow, Some hardcore punk bands, Lou Reed...Everclear....Basically Various stuff from 60's-90's and hardly ever popular enough to be "pop music"

I had a long period of listening to reggae and reggae/dub music. Don't let anyone tell you Pink Floyd is music to take drugs to, that would be dub reggae(nobody jump on that for a thread topic change). They're usually sad individuals. However I became one of those people that say their taste in music is "eclectic"

Around 99/2000 Kinda down and out and a little depressed; I asked a friend for something different to listen to. He gave me a tape that had American Music Club an one side and Mark Eitzel Songs Of Love Live on the other(the singer of american music club) I never took to it at first, but then I found myself in a job that I liked, where I could listen to music and only that tape to listen to. I have been listening to AMC/Eitzel religiously for around ten years now. Much more than I have any other band. Oh I still listen to nirvana and megadeth but nowhere near as much.

Over the last few years I have started listening to Billie Holiday & Ella Fitzgerald. No man shall write my epitaph is probably the best album I have ever listened to by a female singer(Ella) Life to me lately feels like Billie Holiday's Solitude and Good Morning Heartache. I used to play guitar really loud, scream over distortion and record it(lost tapes) I drove my neighbours nuts. Now I listen to 'Misty' and at times feel like crying. Its a funny old world.
Old 26-10-2012, 19:46   #14
God Member

Mid 70's to late 80's had the lot rock,disco,punk,new wave and the wurzels.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 21:23   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Mid 70's to late 80's had the lot rock,disco,punk,new wave and the wurzels.
The wurzels? that explains it, its the Cider thats done yeh.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..