Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2012, 19:21   #91

re: Dare I ask? Does anyone like Motown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
Had a good night last night at the Arden Inn, it was a soul/motown evening. Looks like it's a regular thing the 2nd Saturday of the month.

Nice to see someone talking about the current Soul scene, Sara. It makes a change from all this nostalgia!

Pip does a great job at The Arden, nothing too deep, just nice run of the mill stuff suitable for anyone who just wants to have a drink and hear some decent music. You never know, it might be enough to tempt some new blood onto the scene. If we are to keep our Northern Soul/R&B scene alive,it's about now, not 50 odd years ago.

KEEP THE FAITH

keep the faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-01-2012, 20:19   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
Nice to see someone talking about the current Soul scene, Sara. It makes a change from all this nostalgia!

Pip does a great job at The Arden, nothing too deep, just nice run of the mill stuff suitable for anyone who just wants to have a drink and hear some decent music. You never know, it might be enough to tempt some new blood onto the scene. If we are to keep our Northern Soul/R&B scene alive,it's about now, not 50 odd years ago.

KEEP THE FAITH

Even I don't go back 50 years Mr. Keep the Faith, and I would love to attend the Northern Souls scene but I live thousands of miles away and the Sicilians were never into this kind of music, so for me 'nostalgia' will is here to stay!!! and I think some of us on here do our best to keep this kind of music alive by sharing our favourites, so try to bear with us, will you?
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 20:43   #93
Super Moderator

Quote:
Be off with all yer new-fangled modern stuff and leave us old folk in peace with our memories!

Old 15-01-2012, 23:39   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
You're probably talking about later years Steve, I remember the all nighters (69-70 I think. We used to leave Accrington about 9.30 pm Saturday night and return Sunday morning on the first bus out of Manchester. Now that I think of those times, I realise just how crazy we were!!
Susan,I was only 15 when I first went to the Wheel,so 1967/8 was the start of the `crazy years` for me!
Stevie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 10:54   #95

Like Dobie Grey said Susan, Other guys imitate us, but the originals still the greatest, Dressing fine making time.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 12:19   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Like Dobie Grey said Susan, Other guys imitate us, but the originals still the greatest, Dressing fine making time.

I'm not saying I was one of the originals, not by a long chalk, but I first got into the Mod/Soul scene around 1967/68, as anyone who knows me on here will verify. And I'm not trying to upset anyone either.
What I'm merely trying to point out is that "It'll never be over for me" or many others of a similar age to us, (Many ex Wheel, Catacombs, VaVa's, MoJo's etc) who if circumstances allow, still regularly attend Soul Nights and all nighters up and down the country, not so much as a trip down memory lane but to celebrate a vibrant, thriving scene, where they can enjoy listening and dancing to "Oldies" "Current" "R&B" and "Ultra Rare" Soul music, with the added bonus of the odd "New Discovery" thrown in. Also many of these events offer the opportunity to purchace an odd 45 or two from record dealers or fellow collectors.

Yes, there will always be a certain amount of nostalgia, but at the moment, the soul scene is probably bigger than it ever was, but still retains a certain "underground" status, not having been hijacked by the money grabbing national media etc.

Long may it last. Keep The Faith!

Stevie R likes this.
Old 16-01-2012, 17:36   #97

Quote:
I'm not saying I was one of the originals, not by a long chalk, but I first got into the Mod/Soul scene around 1967/68, as anyone who knows me on here will verify. And I'm not trying to upset anyone either.
What I'm merely trying to point out is that "It'll never be over for me" or many others of a similar age to us, (Many ex Wheel, Catacombs, VaVa's, MoJo's etc) who if circumstances allow, still regularly attend Soul Nights and all nighters up and down the country, not so much as a trip down memory lane but to celebrate a vibrant, thriving scene, where they can enjoy listening and dancing to "Oldies" "Current" "R&B" and "Ultra Rare" Soul music, with the added bonus of the odd "New Discovery" thrown in. Also many of these events offer the opportunity to purchace an odd 45 or two from record dealers or fellow collectors.

Yes, there will always be a certain amount of nostalgia, but at the moment, the soul scene is probably bigger than it ever was, but still retains a certain "underground" status, not having been hijacked by the money grabbing national media etc.

Long may it last. Keep The Faith!

I agree, Long may it last, and I wasn't really upset, just thought you were a 'youngster' getting a bit high-handed. I'm not an original either ( no where near Wynonie's level!!), just was around at the time this music was being played in some parts of the UK. Loved it then and still do, and I'm glad you are able to be part of the revival you mentioned. Keep posting!!
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 18:18   #98
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I agree, Long may it last, and I wasn't really upset, just thought you were a 'youngster' getting a bit high-handed. I'm not an original either ( no where near Wynonie's level!!), just was around at the time this music was being played in some parts of the UK. Loved it then and still do, and I'm glad you are able to be part of the revival you mentioned. Keep posting!!
That owd gets no youngster susan,i assure you.
Stevie R likes this.
Old 16-01-2012, 18:38   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
That owd gets no youngster susan,i assure you.
I'll never catch you up though will I????
Old 16-01-2012, 18:46   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie R View Post
Made me laugh that Susan,Keep the Faith a `youngster.` This next track ktf would have travelled miles to buy it.

For cryin out loud, not you too Steve!

Stevie R likes this.
Old 16-01-2012, 19:15   #102
Super Moderator

I've been around so long, I remember the original!

Stevie R likes this.
Old 16-01-2012, 19:23   #103

Quote:

Cheers Susan, I'll get off the soapbox whilst I'm still able. Don't take any notice of this lot, none of them are spring chickens either,

Old 16-01-2012, 19:27   #104
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Sheesh Kids.
Old 17-01-2012, 10:43   #105

Sorry, I got the wrong end of the stick to.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..