Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 10:34   #1
God Member

Discovering Elbow...

Afraid to say that though I'd heard them mentioned on SKY news when they won the Mercury award, I'd never heard any of Elbow's music. They don't seem to have taken off in Italy.

Yesterday while visiting my Aunt and Uncle we watched a live concert of theirs with the Halle Youth Choir in Manchester Cathedral. Really enjoyed it so I plan to buy one of their CD's. The singer reminded me a little of a Peter Gabriel.

What would be a good CD to get as a first buy?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-11-2011, 15:23   #2

Re: Discovering Elbow...

The 'Seldom Seen Kid' album is a good place to start. The two singles from that; 'Grounds For Divorce' and 'One Day Like This' are the tracks most people have heard and probably their most popular material to date. Look them up on YouTube to try before you buy.

(The full length live version)

'One Day Like This' is easily one of my favourite tracks ever.

Last edited by Pudwoppa; 02-11-2011 at 15:25.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 20:15   #3
Beacon of light

Build a Racket Boys........I recently stumbled on this band....... I had never heard of them before. I like their style.........and like Pudwoppa think that One Day Like This is superb.(the BBC used it as background music to William and Kates wedding)
I like Lippy Kids too.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 15:02   #4
God Member

This one is my favourite so far -found loads on You tube to listen too!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-11-2011, 16:06   #5
Beacon of light

I'm dead envious that you went to see them live. If I had not been away with Ma, I might just have gone to that concert.

Open Arms is on the CD 'Build a Rocket Boys'.
Old 03-11-2011, 16:10   #6
Beacon of light

This is another good one.
Old 03-11-2011, 16:12   #7
Beacon of light

And this is one of my favourites too.
Old 03-11-2011, 19:59   #8
God Member

Unfortunately didn't see them live -just on telly! It was a revelation though...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 12-11-2011, 22:46   #9

Great band.followed them since first album.great bloke,meet him twice,new album bit wishy washy but good luck to them..anyone tried there mates 'i am kloot' ? another band to try out
spignific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 00:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spignific View Post
Great band.followed them since first album.2001 i think. Great bloke,met him twice,new album bit wishy washy for me but good luck to them.went delemere forest gig couple of years ago and it was one of the best ever.Has anyone tried their mates last album ' i am kloot ' - northern skies ? a few of you will already know they are another band to try out and in fact one of the best around now,think came 2nd in last years mercury prize USELESS b/stsrd FAILURE NIGHT !!! Has kloot like to call it
k
Old 13-11-2011, 00:45   #11

whooooooo saturday night double post (well tripple now) due to wine tasting,but you'll get my gist
Anyway a 'kloot' video any of you elbow fans knows about anyway.produced by garvey..Then classic elbow video from 2002..

Last edited by spignific; 13-11-2011 at 00:50.
Old 13-11-2011, 00:49   #12

classic elbow video from 2001..YES A DECADE .HOW TIMES FLY BY

Old 13-11-2011, 09:50   #13
God Member

Kloot video much appreciated for the scene with Christopher Ecclestone -one of my favourite British actors! The song is not bad too...a bit melancholy though.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 13-11-2011, 09:55   #14
God Member

Asleep in the back is a bit melancholy too -not what I want to hear at the moment!

Am back to Cold Play "Viva la Vida" and their latest single -preferably very loud!!!!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 13-11-2011, 10:58   #15
Beacon of light

I bought the new Coldplay CD while I was away with Ma.......the cheeky chappie in HMV asked if it was a present or if it was for me....I told him it was for me......just because I have a bit of grey doesn't mean I can't enjoy some 'young' music.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..