Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008, 18:05   #1
God Member

Do you.......

Follow the charts anymore, if you do , do you think they are still relevant? if you don`t why? and when/why did you loose interest.....?
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2008, 18:09   #2
God Member

Re: Do you.......

I've never followed the charts really. The type of people that still buy records regularly will buy anything as long as it's played on Radio 1 enough, which shows from the amount of plastic rubbish that hits number one. The UK Top 40 & Album Chart is totally irrelevant to the standard of music.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 18:21   #3
Senior Member+

Yeah,got to agree with Shaker.And its not just sales they count niether,they also take into account airplay,so if a certain record company bunged £x to a radio station it can easily be fixed.
Old 07-09-2008, 18:24   #4
God Member

I have to agree, i used to follow them years ago but now i only check if a particular band or artist i like has new stuff out i have a nosey to see how they have done, for example i have been very interested in The Verves reformation so i have been keeping an eye on their positions ( and good they were too)
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 18:29   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
I have to agree, i used to follow them years ago but now i only check if a particular band or artist i like has new stuff out i have a nosey to see how they have done, for example i have been very interested in The Verves reformation so i have been keeping an eye on their positions ( and good they were too)
On the Verve note - I'm a massive fan of theirs but I was incredibly disappointed with the new album. To me it's just Love is Noise and then a load of filler tracks that all sound the same
A Storm in Heaven, A Northern Soul and lesser so Urban Hymns are records that blow you away from start to finish but for me Forth is a gigantic disappointment. That's only me though. It did get to number one .
Sorry to thread wander!
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 18:45   #6
God Member

i have no choice but to listen to chart crap, Reece is music mad like his mother (whoever she is) but the only problem is, he loves RnB and i HATE it, gimme good old rock anyday
Old 12-09-2008, 10:34   #7
Resting in Peace

Are there still charts
Old 12-09-2008, 13:36   #8
God Member

Probably in the late 80s when Sunday night became the best night to go out in town.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 15:20   #9
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Are there still charts

That's what I said to my daughter the other day when she said something was 'still number one'. I used to be glued to Top of The Pops every week when I was younger but haven't bothered for years.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 15:21   #10
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
and when did you lose interest.....?

Ooh, let me see.......about 1962, I think.
Old 12-09-2008, 16:04   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

lost interest in charts mid 70s, though never was the biggest fan of em, they never were about the best music,just the biggest backhander, "PAYOLA" never died.
Old 12-09-2008, 16:39   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Ooh, let me see.......about 1962, I think.
You carried on longer than most of us then West Ender
Old 12-09-2008, 16:42   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
lost interest in charts mid 70s, though never was the biggest fan of em, they never were about the best music,just the biggest backhander, "PAYOLA" never died.
Dead right cashy, PAYOLA would still have to be rife today for me to buy records, in as much a they'd have to pay me to listen to the crap thats churned out today
Old 13-09-2008, 11:33   #14
Senior Member+

Just been on about this to the family this morn.Charts irrelevant these days.Bring out an album,rip about 7 songs off as singles.Who wants to buy them when you already have them on the album.Remember bands like Roxy Music bringing songs out that were'nt on albums(or single free albums)so you had to buy the single.Or a band would bring out a single that was a taster for the album.Plus you'd usually get 1 or 2 songs on the b-side that were'nt remixes of the single but brand new songs unavailable elsewhere.BMRB was the only chart at one time & taken as gospel but then it was chart sponsered by Pepsi etc & like mentioned before payola,backhanders,freebies etc..Anyway it's all crap these days.
Old 13-09-2008, 13:31   #15
white rabbits

In the fiftys and sixtys, i couldent wait for the TOP TWENTY on Radio Luxembourg....Every Sunday at seven o clock,,,,,,now who cares

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..