Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2013, 03:50   #1

Four Pennies

Does anyone remember Lionel Morton from Blacburn, and his band, who later changed their name to The Four Pennies, playing in the Derby Hotel in St James St on a Friday night around the 1960's They then went on to make a number one hit on the charts "Juliet"
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-04-2013, 05:58   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Four Pennies

They still get plenty of mentions on Radio Lancashire - come over and listen.
Aussie Irene likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 06:37   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Yep seen em a few times up Con on Monday night, Most people around here of certain ages remember em pretty well, was a guy called fritz in the four pennies as well i recall. They were a Blackburn based group. Recall Lionel married the blonde lass "Actress" Julia Foster.

Last edited by cashman; 27-04-2013 at 06:40.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 07:38   #4
Senior Member+

Lionel was a choirboy at Blackburn Cathedral I think
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 07:58   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yep seen em a few times up Con on Monday night, Most people around here of certain ages remember em pretty well, was a guy called fritz in the four pennies as well i recall. They were a Blackburn based group. Recall Lionel married the blonde lass "Actress" Julia Foster.
Fritz Fryer was from Great Harwood, on a few occasions when they played the Con on Mondays they billed as The Lionel Morton 4 + 1 can remember the guys name but he was a lad who lived up Willows Lane and was a pianist, anybody else remember him, or what his name was?
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 11:14   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Fritz Fryer was from Great Harwood, on a few occasions when they played the Con on Mondays they billed as The Lionel Morton 4 + 1 can remember the guys name but he was a lad who lived up Willows Lane and was a pianist, anybody else remember him, or what his name was?
Nah mate Fritz was from Oldham, may have lived oer harrod i have no idea. He died about 6/7 yrs ago in Lisbon.
Old 27-04-2013, 11:49   #7
Full Member+

They changed their name to Four Pennys as Reidys music shop who helped them was on Penny St. Lionel Morton was married to Julia Foster( like Jaysay says) and she is the mother of Ben Fogle from her second marriage.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 12:18   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
They changed their name to Four Pennys as Reidys music shop who helped them was on Penny St. Lionel Morton was married to Julia Foster( like Jaysay says) and she is the mother of Ben Fogle from her second marriage.
Yeh been drinking greeny? I said it not jaysay.
Old 27-04-2013, 12:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
Does anyone remember Lionel Morton from Blacburn, and his band, who later changed their name to The Four Pennies, playing in the Derby Hotel in St James St on a Friday night around the 1960's They then went on to make a number one hit on the charts "Juliet"

Try this

Juliet - The Four Pennies - YouTube
flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 13:52   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Nah mate Fritz was from Oldham, may have lived oer harrod i have no idea. He died about 6/7 yrs ago in Lisbon.
Was certainly living in Harwood while with the Pennies or should I say prior to the Pennies, ya I can remember reading about him dying in the LT
Old 27-04-2013, 20:25   #11

Lionel Morton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 01:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Lionel was a choirboy at Blackburn Cathedral I think
Yes i seem to remember that. I may be wrong but i think Lionel Morton was married, maybe to a Blackburn girl, and that her name was used for the number one hit song. they were later divorced.
Old 28-04-2013, 08:23   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
Yes i seem to remember that. I may be wrong but i think Lionel Morton was married, maybe to a Blackburn girl, and that her name was used for the number one hit song. they were later divorced.
Juliet was named after is Niece if I remember rightly
Old 28-04-2013, 12:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Juliet was named after is Niece if I remember rightly
Thank You JAYSAY that could be so.
Old 29-04-2013, 06:05   #15
Mog

Quote:
Your quite right Cashy, I used to knock about with Franny Franks about 63 and we used to spend some monday afternoons in the bar and playing snooker up the Con. Lionel used to come in with the band ( The Lionel Morton Four ) to get set up for the evening. He was always taking some kind of pills. Nervous as hell. Jon Anderson once said, "I turned down the song Juliet" dont know how true his quote was, but I have it on video somewhere.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..