Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By walkinman221

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2014, 17:41   #1
Ski

Cool Group Sax

Are there any sax players in the area who get together for a jamming / noodling session. Somewhere, someone can progress and pick up some hints and tips.

Let me know.

Alec Bourne
Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-01-2014, 20:06   #2
God Member

Re: Group Sax

The Stanley Club on Stanley St was, and likely still is, the venue where local musicians gather every Monday night for jamming sessions.

You might find some local group who need a sax player - worth a look in.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 20:16   #3
Ski

Thanks for that - I'll have a look - but was really looking for something low key where some tuition from seasoned players was available. Without having to pay through the nose.

Alec Bourne
Old 05-01-2014, 21:48   #4
God Member

'Jam nights' are still mentioned on their facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/thestanleyclub

My son is on guitar far left at the start of this video

Last edited by MargaretR; 05-01-2014 at 21:56.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:36   #5
Ski

That is nice. Some good stuff here. Right on my doorstep. What have I been doing all theses years?????

Thank you for this.

Alec Bourne
Old 09-01-2014, 18:09   #6
Senior Member+

Stanley st is a jam night/open mic night you will be welcom....some of the guys are pretentious. I was berated for doing 17 mins solo set instead of 15 where the main guy plays 10 min version of aint no sunshine...

There was this really old guy playing jazz on a huge semi acoustic and he was great to listen to, everybody was quiet and was quite special to listen to him play.

Last time i went there this drunken idiot was bothering me all night (you might see him round town tallish glasses short brown hair.) and kept shouting 'acoustic' and you cant sing. He kept bugging me and then he tried to kiss my ear or something, it was 8 years ago or so. It was quite a crap experience that last time and i haven't been back since
Old 09-01-2014, 18:21   #7
Senior Member+

Ever thought of going into promotion Rob
Restless likes this.
Old 09-01-2014, 20:18   #8
Ski

I have heard the Stanly St has some really good music on a Monday Night - may pop in and see for myself. You never know unless you try.

Alec Bourne
Old 10-01-2014, 18:46   #9
Senior Member+

Yeah. There are these (freestyle jazz is it called?) musicians that you should check out. Their music is totally and utterly mental!

Ive had good nights and bad nights there. The last time was enough for me though, and back then they gave you a free pint for getting up! don't know if they still do.
Old 10-01-2014, 18:48   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
My son is on guitar far left at the start of this video
his name Rob by any chance?
Old 11-01-2014, 19:25   #11
Ski

Hopefully I may make it Monday Night.

Alec Bourne

Tags
music, sax, saxophone, soprano, tenor

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..