Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By sm_counsell
  • 1 Post By cashman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 08:19   #1

Guess who?

This is so great. I didn't know Tom Hanks father was the lead singer of the Diamonds.
Tom Hanks Father:
If you were alive in 1957, and old enough to enjoy Rock and Roll, you will probably remember the group, "The Diamonds",who had just launched their super hit "Little Darlin'.
For you that are too young to remember - it was a time when the performers were happy, enjoying themselves, respecting their fans, dressed appropriately and their lyrics could be understood.
They did not feel obligated to scream, eat the microphone, mumble inaudible lyrics or trash the set.
In 1957, The Diamonds had a hit with "Little Darlin". 47 years later, they were requested to perform at Atlantic City...
This link leads to both performances.
Watch the first one then scroll down for the new one 47 years later.
Tom Hanks father is much better looking than Tom, and even better looking with age. In the linked videos Tom Hank's father is the lead singer on the left. He still has it! Hope you enjoy.
47 years apart, 2 Performances --

(He's the guy on the left with the high-pitched voice)
Two Performances - 47 Years Apart - The Diamonds
Guinness, cashman, Gremlin and 4 others like this.
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Guess who?

Cheers Sue, still got the original record n still love it.
Old 03-01-2013, 14:39   #3
Resting In Peace

Absolute quality. Love the song, always have done. If I remember correctly, Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders did a cover in the 60's.
Old 03-01-2013, 15:12   #4

Well will go to foot of our stairs thanks for that bit of information and the link,loved this song and the memories it brought back.
hassy rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 15:18   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindashanks2 View Post
Absolute quality. Love the song, always have done. If I remember correctly, Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders did a cover in the 60's.
Never heard Fontana Linda, but get a load of these kids 1960. The Del Vikings @ also Gladiolas did covers as well.
susie123 likes this.

Last edited by cashman; 03-01-2013 at 15:20.
cashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 16:23   #6
Super Moderator

Sorry, mate, you're wrong there. The Gladiolas (featuring Maurice Williams) was the original.

Old 03-01-2013, 18:52   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Don't apologise fer being correct wyn.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:01   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Don't apologise fer being correct wyn.
Never like correcting you, though, as you know yer stuff about the classic tunes.

Personally, I prefer the Gladiolas' original. Like Bill Haley, Pat Boone, Georgia Gibbs and quite a few others, the Diamonds took advantage of the fact that in 50's America, a lot of white radio stations wouldn't play black R&B records and jumped on the cover version bandwagon. Maurice Williams had his own hit four years later with "Stay", later messed up by the Hollies.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:40   #9

Well, well well, sent shivers down my spine, my brother Kevin had it on a 78, thanks Susan. My god Toms dad has only gone gray, otherwise no change.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 13:13   #10

According to Wikipedia "Contrary to popular myth, the father of Tom Hanks was never a member of the group."

"Hanks was born in Concord, California. His father, Amos Mefford Hanks (born in Glenn County, California, on March 9, 1924 "
flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 13:23   #11

Could be right, I just received it from Australia, but
he certainly resembles Tom Hanks. Actually I posted it more for the song that for the Tom Hanks connection
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..