Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Michael1954

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2015, 23:23   #1

It's only rock and roll

Much as I like CDs, I am becoming increasingly irritated about the remastering of albums originally released on vinyl. When I first started collecting records in the 60s, you knew that an album was the final definitive version. You knew that if you bought Beggars Banquet on vinyl in 1968 and then bought another vinyl copy in 1978 it would be exactly the same.

Nowadays, CDs are remastered numerous times so that no version is final and definitive. For instance, in the 1990s Jimmy Page remastered the entire Led Zeppelin collection and you thought that would be that, at least I did. Now, over the last year or so, our Jimmy has decided he could do a better job and remastered them again. Now ordinarily I wouldn't be mug enough to buy these new versions, but in order to entice sales, extra tracks previously unavailable are included. So I'm tempted.

I can't help remembering Johnny Rotten's words during the Sex Pistols' final concert of their U.S. tour: "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

OK, rant over! I've had one too many tonight!
kestrelx and steve2qec like this.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-06-2015, 20:10   #2
Senior Member+

Re: It's only rock and roll

Some albums are really good remastered. A lot are not. Most remasters are not remixed and a lot of them are just made louder.

I like to listen to Remixed & Remastered albums. The best remaster/remix I have heard for a while is Nirvanas alternate mixes. Especially In Utero's Steve Albini mix that was always superior to that of the release
Old 06-07-2015, 10:14   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Much as I like CDs, I am becoming increasingly irritated about the remastering of albums originally released on vinyl. When I first started collecting records in the 60s, you knew that an album was the final definitive version. You knew that if you bought Beggars Banquet on vinyl in 1968 and then bought another vinyl copy in 1978 it would be exactly the same.

Nowadays, CDs are remastered numerous times so that no version is final and definitive. For instance, in the 1990s Jimmy Page remastered the entire Led Zeppelin collection and you thought that would be that, at least I did. Now, over the last year or so, our Jimmy has decided he could do a better job and remastered them again. Now ordinarily I wouldn't be mug enough to buy these new versions, but in order to entice sales, extra tracks previously unavailable are included. So I'm tempted.

I can't help remembering Johnny Rotten's words during the Sex Pistols' final concert of their U.S. tour: "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

OK, rant over! I've had one too many tonight!
Lets hope they don't try and remaster "Never mind the bollocks - "

That really would be flogging a dead horse!

Last edited by kestrelx; 06-07-2015 at 10:16.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:16   #4
Senior Member+

TBH I never liked them
Old 18-07-2015, 12:22   #5
Senior Member+

What the pistols?

Noel Gallagher (Oasis) claims their (pistols) only LP is best rock record ever and his records don't match it - for a pure piece of rock n roll music.
Old 19-07-2015, 01:08   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
What the pistols?
Yeah never thought much of them... Some of the punk bands that I like tend to be American hardcore punk bands. But I rarely listen to that stuff these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Noel Gallagher (Oasis) claims their (pistols) only LP is best rock record ever and his records don't match it - for a pure piece of rock n roll music.
though oasis first album was great, I don't rate his opinions to be worth a damn
Old 21-07-2015, 16:24   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Yeah never thought much of them... Some of the punk bands that I like tend to be American hardcore punk bands. But I rarely listen to that stuff these days

though oasis first album was great, I don't rate his opinions to be worth a damn
Well a lot of other peope of "influence" hold that opinion about the Pistols as well - some other guy of importance said "it's rock with all the fat cut off no flab!" (like lean pork chops) Sex pistols were more rock if you listen to the guitar.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..