Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 09:08   #1
Resting in Peace

Music Videos age rating

BBC News - Music videos need age rating says review

There's a report out which says music videos should be age rated in much the same way films are, to try and protect children from explicit sexual content (lets face it some videos are very raunchy) Do you think it will work? I have my doubts really, I don't think the film classification works to well especially with so many films that now appear on TV.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:23   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Music Videos age rating

think probably a stop should be put on suggestive videos, after all they are aimed at the younger people, think rating em would be useless.
Old 04-06-2011, 20:47   #3
God Member

will be a waste of money if so called artists used their talent to make some decent music they wouldnt need to make these videos
Old 04-06-2011, 20:50   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
will be a waste of money if so called artists used their talent to make some decent music they wouldnt need to make these videos
jeez cmon yer talking sense.
Old 04-06-2011, 21:13   #5
God Member

I'm not sure how this could work..just watching "Lord of The Rings" which could be classed as a kids film..but it's pretty violent and has some of the ugliest human like creatures I've ever laid eyes on.(Friday nights down the Imperial comes close)
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 21:24   #6
Beacon of light

Also, I would like to ask how this will be policed on the radio,and on the internet?

The only way to stop children listening to music with sexualised lyrics is for the singers and lyric writers not to produce such trashy stuff.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 21:40   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Also, I would like to ask how this will be policed on the radio,and on the internet?

The only way to stop children listening to music with sexualised lyrics is for the singers and lyric writers not to produce such trashy stuff.

I agree..but I don't think it this new rating efect radio..it's actual video stuff.
If films are rated then I do think videos should be.. they are just short films.. as far as radio goes there have been umpteen attempts to ban some songs but I don't think there is any censorship on lyrics.. it is writing and you don't get many bans on books and such that anyone can read
Lets be honest ever since the record player was invented there have been calls for censorship and if it happend would it do any good.?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:56   #8
Beacon of light

Mancie, way back in the dim and distant past, my recollection of records being banned from playlists was Tell Laura I love Her....I don't know if you remember that too....but it was because it mentioned death and dying in a plane crash.
Today,if you listen to the lyrics of some songs.....I'm thinking Lady Gaga, Rihanna, both popular with little girls, the lyrics are blatantly sexual.
The point I was trying to make was, it isn't any use at all picking one section of the entertainment business to try to clean up, as it leaves others that are still there and children still have access to it.
Your comment about books isn't really relevant......small children do not usually read adult books......books, to attract children, need big print and lots of colourful pictures.....and you aren't likely to hear a book being read aloud whilst doing your shopping....but you are likely to hear music being played in shops and supermarkets....and these often include the singers that I have mentioned.(and the effect is insidious.....earworm mean anything to you?)

Personally, I think it will have very little effect.
However I am glad that some moves are being made to take'sexualised clothing' for young girls out of the stores and off the market.....It is a start,a little one.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:42   #9
Resting in Peace

I think you will find It was a Stock Car Race and not a plane crash.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:21   #10
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
I think you will find It was a Stock Car Race and not a plane crash.
Was it? I was only litttle when that came out,() so I don't remember it much....but it was about death and it got banned....now it seems the more shocking/lewd the lyrics, are the more the stations play them.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:23   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Was it? I was only litttle when that came out,() so I don't remember it much....but it was about death and it got banned....now it seems the more shocking/lewd the lyrics, are the more the stations play them.
Indeed it was,and so was I but to get back to the topic.You are of course correct with your observations but what really makes me cringe is the language that SOME parents use in front of their children.Sometimes even aimed directly at the child.

Standards have certainly slipped in the last 30 or so years.

PS When the song was first written It was about a Rodeo rider I think.

Last edited by Benipete; 07-06-2011 at 07:27.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:28   #12
Beacon of light

Quote:
Indeed it was,and so was I but to get back to the topic.You are of course correct with your observations but what really makes me cringe is the language that SOME parents use in front of their children.Sometimes even aimed directly at the child.

Yes, you are right. I find it really offensive when people publicly eff and jeff....I have even brought it to the attention of some of these louts...some hav apologised but many more have told me to go forth and multiply(in fewer words).
If children hear parents talking like this then they are bound to think it is alright for them to talk like that too.
I am really glad to be at the autumn of my life.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:34   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:

PS When the song was first written It was about a Rodeo rider I think.
Bang on, thing is though to many of these morons bad language in front or at kids is acceptable behavior which is why regulation of these videos is useless just empty rhetoric, fer me their should be standards, simple but will never happen.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:53   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote; I am really glad to be at the autumn of my life.

Yep got past multiplying myself.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..