Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Accyexplorer
  • 1 Post By Rowlf
  • 1 Post By Accyexplorer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2015, 11:33   #1
Senior Member+

That'll be the day when I die

Today marks the anniversary of the death of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper who sadly all died on this day in 1959.

BBC ON THIS DAY | 3 | 1959: Buddy Holly killed in air crash

RIP guys

cashman likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2015, 11:41   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: That'll be the day when I die

Memorys knackered, but remember that n skricking when it happened. Can remember reading that Buddy wasn't booked on that plane,but had recently wed n wanted to get home to his missus, so Dion gave up his seat fer him.

Last edited by cashman; 03-02-2015 at 11:49.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:57   #3
Senior Member+

I just learned that Waylon Jennings gave his seat up to Richardson and when Buddy heard Jennings wasn't flying, he said, "Well, I hope your old bus freezes up." Jennings responded with, "Well, I hope your plane crashes."

password--Accyweb
Old 03-02-2015, 15:50   #4
Full Member+

I remember hearing about it outside Preston railway station on getting back from an England v South Africa hockey match at Wembley with a group from the High School. We were all upset. Its wonderful that Holly's music still lives on 50 odd years later. Don't think todays rubbish will last that long.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 16:26   #5
Senior Member+

I couldn't sing, couldn't play the guitar but I could wear Buddy Holly glasses-and play his records until you could hardly hear the words for the scratches.

I always wondered how he'd have developed led if he'd lived.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 19:36   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I always wondered how he'd have developed led if he'd lived.
He was very talented and wrote his own songs.
As big as (p)elvis,The Beatles perhaps?

password--Accyweb
Old 03-02-2015, 22:21   #7
Senior Member+

Found this great tribute to Buddy,Don knew Buddy was special.

Rowlf likes this.

password--Accyweb
Old 04-02-2015, 15:24   #8
Full Member+

I love that song. Bought the record on Saturday March 11th 1972. I was going into hospital on the Monday so played it over and over that weekend to take my mind off it. The video is cleverly put together. I loved it. Thanks.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 16:54   #9
Senior Member+

Glad you enjoyed it R, for me the pics are great I've not seen some of them before (surf ballroom etc).

This was (allegedly) the last song they played at the ballroom before the tragic accident,it also happens to be one of my personal faves too.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..