Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2012, 10:03   #1
Resting in Peace

Vox AC30

There was a program last night on BBC4 about 11pm depicting the history of the Vox AC30 amplifier, which is supposed to be the best amp every made, was used by virtually ever group in the sixties The Beatles The Stones, but it was actually made at the request of Hank Marvin and Bruce Welch of the Shadows, it appears that Vox made an amp AC15 which wasn't loud enough when the Shadows were on gigs because of girls screamingSo they asked Vox for a more powerful model, which didn't go down well with the directors at Vox, but an engineer did one on the side and it was such a success that it went into full production. Ya the good old days of the Vox AC30 and the Watkins copycat echo chamber and a Reslow mike and the job was sound
Old 28-01-2012, 10:38   #2
God Member

Re: Vox AC30

My son rebuilds old amps to help finance the purchase of his music gear.

From his Facebook comments between him and fellow musicians, it seems that types of amps needed varies between types of music played, and the size of the venue.

Here are his
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gear.jpg (108.1 KB, 9 views)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:53   #3
Full Member+

Cheers John, I'll look out for that when it's repeated.
Brian May is famous for using AC30's as well.
I once owned a Vox overdrive pedal - I thought it'd make my amp sound like an AC30....it didn't!
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 13:50   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
Cheers John, I'll look out for that when it's repeated.
Brian May is famous for using AC30's as well.
I once owned a Vox overdrive pedal - I thought it'd make my amp sound like an AC30....it didn't!
It was actually surprising just who used the AC 30 in the 60s, I know most of the groups round her had at least one, my mate who plays with Accy Rockers still has his, lots of other firms have tried to copy it but nobody has come near, and to say it was valve orientated it was very sturdy too, it actually showed one being thrown down some stones steps and the sound was still perfect
Old 28-01-2012, 13:58   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
My son rebuilds old amps to help finance the purchase of his music gear.

From his Facebook comments between him and fellow musicians, it seems that types of amps needed varies between types of music played, and the size of the venue.

here are his
In the 60s there were very few amps, the AC30 was so versitile they were used for all types of music, then firms such as Marshall, Sound City, Peavey, came on the market and allowed more variation, looking at the photo the amps pictured look like Fender, is your son revamping them or just using the cases?
Old 28-01-2012, 16:14   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
In the 60s there were very few amps, the AC30 was so versitile they were used for all types of music, then firms such as Marshall, Sound City, Peavey, came on the market and allowed more variation, looking at the photo the amps pictured look like Fender, is your son revamping them or just using the cases?
He restores to original where possible.
I know he recently sold off his surplus stock of Mullard valves, which indicates that such restorations have been possible.

He recently sent a restored Marshall to USA.
He details all the parts which are in them when they go on ebay.

Last edited by MargaretR; 28-01-2012 at 16:21.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 09:40   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
He restores to original where possible.
I know he recently sold off his surplus stock of Mullard valves, which indicates that such restorations have been possible.

He recently sent a restored Marshall to USA.
He details all the parts which are in them when they go on ebay.
I would think he gets a lot of custom, because the "old" amps are far better than their modern day counterparts, just the thought of listening to an old AC30 makes the hairs on my neck stand up
Old 29-01-2012, 17:37   #8
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I would think he gets a lot of custom, because the "old" amps are far better than their modern day counterparts, just the thought of listening to an old AC30 makes the hairs on my neck stand up
Yeah, you're right! You can't beat the old valve amp sound....like Kossoff's guitar on Alright Now...

Those Mullard valves are considered among the best but they're pretty rare.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 17:46   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
Yeah, you're right! You can't beat the old valve amp sound....like Kossoff's guitar on Alright Now...

Those Mullard valves are considered among the best but they're pretty rare.
Was watching Kossoff yesterday on Vintage TV doing All Right Now at the Isle of Wight festival, hell did he look out of his head, but a great guitarist
Old 30-01-2012, 23:13   #10

Jaysay it was a great programme and a good evening all round on BBC4
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 08:19   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Jaysay it was a great programme and a good evening all round on BBC4
They have some great Friday nights on BBC4 wadey, I always check whats on every friday, because its usually well worth watching

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..