Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 00:42   #1
Senior Member+

2011 Prediction League; Game 13 - Swindon Town (home)

Accrington Stanley

V

Swindon Town

Prediction League – Game 13; v SwindonTown (home)

Eric Cantona, eat your heart out ; all you could manage was seagulls; Paolo Di Canio easily tops that with this quote about his team:-

"With some players, if he has a chihuahua character I can't make a chihuahua into a rottweiler. He could be a proud chihuahua but he remains a chihuahua. So many of the players at the moment are chihuahuas away from home - this is the truth."

Absolutely, Paolo ……… I was just thinking the same thing.

Loads of last year’s squad disposed of after PDC arrived on 23rd May; some released (including defender Kevin Amankwaah with over 100 appearances for the club, but none under Paolo), some loaned out, including striker Elliott Benyon, signed in January 2011 from Torquay , who’s now plying his trade at Wycombe; midfielder Michael Timlin (loaned to Southend); defender Will Evans (to Hereford); 19 year-old striker Billy Bodin, son of the Robins former player and current Youth Team Coach Paul Bodin, shipped out to Torquay with a “For Sale” sign round his neck (you can imagine the conversation in the Boot Room, can’t you; “You know your son’s a player here Paul? Well I’ve just let him go”. “OK Boss. Cheers for that” ); and ex QPR striker (and PNE loanee) Leon Clarke, signed on 19th August, and out on loan to Chesterfield, marked “ He Will Never Play For Me Again ”, on 8th September; not quite the shortest tenure of the season in terms of games – Drewe Broughton got sent off in his first game for Alfreton Town and got a three match ban; on his return to the side he got sent off again for violent conduct, and got a four match ban, and sacked!

He signed stacks, did Paolo; 15 at least, including ex Bournemouth striker Alan Connell from Grimsby, where he hit 29 last season, and 6’ 4” Czech international striker Lukas Meghera from Romanian side Politehnica Timisoara (anyone know the Romanian for, “Over ‘ere, son, on me ‘ead” ? ); then he hit the loan market, acquiring Ahmed Abdulla from West Ham, 20 year old striker Jake Jervis from Brum and Huddersfield’s left back Liam Ridehalgh, struggling to get his place back after injury. They appear to have something of the order of 31 players in their First Team squad, and at least 12 different nationalities….………

Previously managed, amongst many others, by Lou Macari, Ossie Ardiles, Glenn Hoddle, Roy Evans and Dennis Wise (with Gus Poyet), they did once hit the dizzy heights of the Premier League, but with only 5 wins and a “goals against” column of 100 – still a record – they lasted just the one season. Over the years they’ve been up and down the divisions – promoted in 2007 (having drawn 1-1 at Fortress Crown, our goal coming from Andy Todd, and then having won the return fixture 2-0 at the County Ground) and coming back down last season. I imagine everyone remembers them winning the League Cup in 69, beating Arsenal 3-1.

Paolo’s certainly kept the press interested; he wants his players to dive (“"I'd prefer that they risk getting a yellow card for simulation. My team are the only ones who do not dive somewhere around the field”); he “didn’t know” that Clinton Morrison had turned down a loan move from the Owls (but it didn’t matter, because he was ‘no longer a primary target’), and he “didn’t know” of the Crawley manager Steve Evans – “I’ve never heard his name” …….. Chihuahuas he knows about though ………..

Overall, their League record is P12 W5 D1 L6 F20 A15 for 16 points and 13th place, which is 3 places, 1 point and 8 goals better than us; away, happily, their record is P6 W1 L5 F4 A8 – defeats by 1-0 at Cheltenham and Dagenham, by 2-0 at Burton and Macclesfield, and by 2-1 at Shrewsbury ; their only success was a 3-0 win at Crawley (whose manager, Paolo, is called Steve Evans ……..). They went out of the Carling 3-1 at home to Southampton, having beaten Bristol City away 1-0 in the first round, and recently went to Exeter in the JPT, returning with a 2-1 win.

In 15 games, they’ve scored 24 times, hitting four goals once (against Barnet at home), 3 goals 4 times, two twice, a singleton four times, and four blank sheets; leading scorers are Algerian striker Mehdi Kerrouche with 6, midfielder Matt Ritchie with 5, and strikers Alan Connell and Raffaele De Vita, each with three; they’ve got 6 others with their names on the list. Interestingly, more yellow cards than goals – 31 at the last count, plus one red. Outstanding result under Paolo has to be the 11-0 win on tour in Italy, against Norcia ……….. yes, you’re right …….who?

The deadline for entries is, as ever, scheduled kick-off time, which is 7.45pm on Saturday 15th October. We’ve drawn 6 of 12, but 5 of those draws have been away; they’ve lost 5 of 6 on their travels. What do you reckon? Big win? Small win? Another draw? Will david1 extend his lead in the PL still further ? All up to you, ladies and gents…. Get your forecasts posted!

Good luck to everyone ………… and thanks for playing!

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-10-2011, 01:17   #2
Senior Member+

Re: 2011 Prediction League; Game 13 - Swindon Town (home)

2 - 2 draw
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:58   #3
God Member

3-1 to The Stanley, please.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:44   #4
Senior Member+

Kick off time is - of course - 3-00pm, not 7.45pm.

Just testing ................

Well, it was quarter to two in the morning!
Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:45   #5
Senior Member+

I expect a Stanley win - 2-1 for Stanley please

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:54   #6
Resting in Peace

2-1 to Stanley please
Old 10-10-2011, 12:14   #7
Full Member+

2-1 Stanley for me please.
teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 17:06   #8
Senior Member+

1st home game ive missed in 2 years

Accrington Stanley 3-2 Swindon Town
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 18:07   #9

Yeti Pentathlon Champion!
Cash Beast Champion!

1-1 draw for me please
norwich stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 18:42   #10

2-2 all please
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 19:11   #11
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Accrington Stanley 2 - 1 Swindon Town Please for me
Old 10-10-2011, 19:31   #12
Senior Member+

2-1 Stanley please
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 20:02   #13

2-1 to stanley
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 21:13   #14

Stanley Boys to win 2 - 0 to further upset Mr Di Canio
Mysteron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 21:43   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

3-0 to the reds.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..