Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-12-2011, 01:06   #1
Senior Member+

2011 Prediction League; Game 22 Morecambe (away)

Morecambe FC

V

Accrington Stanley

2011 Prediction League – Game 22; v Morecambe (away)

Nine released, the best known probably being ex Plymouth, Cardiff and Leeds LB Tony Capaldi, who joined Oxford Utd; former Huddersfield midfielder Andy Holdsworth went to Alfreton (BSP) and was then loaned out to Guiseley, and striker Stuart Hendrie – brother of Lee – went to Conference North team Hinckley Utd, and was then also moved on – in his case to Daventry Town (where he plays with his afore-mentioned brother ). Paul “Man of the Match” Mullin , of course, retired, Kieron Charnock is on loan at Fleetwood (one of three ex Stanley players on the pitch for the Cod Army when they beat Yeovil in the FA Cup replay ), Craig Stanley – who went on loan last season to play for Paul Buckle at Torquay – signed for Bristol Rovers (so that he could play for Paul Buckle ), and ex Rochdale winger Adam Rundle, who joined the Shrimps from Chesterfield twelve months ago, moved to Darlington – his Morecambe career lasting 9 starts and including a loan spell at Gateshead …………

They signed a mixture of senior pros (ok, old men ) and thrusting youth; in the former category they acquired 34 year old striker Jason Price (ex Swansea, Hull, Doncaster, Carlisle and Millwall) on a 4 month loan, midfielder Gary McDonald (29) from Hamilton (he previously having also entertained at Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and Oldham), defender Nick Fenton (31) from Notts County via Bournemouth, Doncaster, Grimsby and Rotherham) and winger Kevin Ellison (32) from Rotherham; in the “Young Kids On The Block” camp they got 22 year-old ex Oldham striker Lewis Alessandra (76 starts, 8 goals), former Oldham keeper Shaun Routledge (18) – incidentally, did anyone see that the Latics have signed Dean Bouzanis as well as having Alex Cisak ? – and defender Izak Reid (23) from Macclesfield (who’s never played for Oldham as far as I know ).

And it looked like it was the perfect mix, because 9 games into the season they had a League record of P9 W6 D2 L1 goals for 19 goals against 5, giving them 20 points and top spot in the Division; they’d stuffed Crawley 6-0, and were flying ……since then, though, has it gone pear-shaped or what? Out of the Carling 2-0 at Millwall having seen off Keith Hill’s Barnsley by the same score (away) in the first round; out of the JPT on penalties to Preston after a 2-2 draw, and out of the FA Cup 2-1 to the Owls. If I tell you that their overall record now is P25 W9 D7 L9, and you realise that the Carling win was at the same time as their table-topping run, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realise that since then they’ve only won twice ……. In fact, they only have 2 wins in their last 14 games , and their last 6 have seen draws at Plymouth (1-1) and at home to Oxford (0-0), and defeats by 2-1 (Sheff Wed, FA Cup, at the Globe), by Crewe (also 2-1 at the Globe) and by 2-0 at Shrewsbury and 3-0 at Swindon; no goals in their last 3 games , and a League record which has slumped from 6 wins, 2 draws and but a single defeat to the present situation of W8 D7 L6, with a home record of 3 wins, 3 draws and 4 defeats (which – in the good days – was 2-1-1)

They’ve scored 6 once (v Crawley – Result! ), 4 once (at Port Vale), 3 twice, 2 eight times, 1 eight times, and none 5 times (but including – worryingly for them – in their last 3 outings ); total goals scored is 40, shared among eight players; leading marksmen are Kevin Ellison (whose 9 previous clubs include, as well as the Millers, Altrincham, Chester and Stockport, and who – in his time – cost Leicester £50k and Hull double that) with 9, striker Danny Carlton - back where he played between 2001 and 2007, having ventured away to Carlisle, Darlington and Bury before returning to the place where he’s some kind of legend, having hit their 82nd minute winner in the 2007 Playoff Final against Exeter which got Morecambe their League status with a 2-1 victory – who has 7 to his name, defender Lawrence Wilson (25), an ex-Everton and Chester England u19 International, with 6, and ex Hull, Grimsby, Yeovil, Bristol City and Huddersfield striker Phil Jevons with 4. Ellison and Wilson missed the defeat at Swindon, but Shrimps' ManagerJim Bentley hopes to have them both back for Boxing Day.

Whisper it quietly, lest we disturb the Gods of the Beautiful Game, but we haven’t lost to them in the 8 League games between us ; two 1-1 draws (away in 08/09 and at home in Feb last, when a penalty from Phil the Tan cancelled out Phil Jevons’ strike) and 6 wins, two by 3-2, two by 2-1 and two by 1-0; P8 W6 D2 Lost NONE , goals F14 A8, and 20 points out of a possible 24; good or what? Notice also, Ye Gods of Football, that we’ve never failed to score against them in the League, which is a record we’d hugely like to continue, please and thank you ……………..

The deadline for entries is, as ever, scheduled kick-off time, which is 3pm on Monday 26th December 2011. They lie 11th with 31 points, but in a bit of a slump; we lie 13th on 29 points, on a bit of a roll (14 points from the last 18, unbeaten in 6 in the League – quite a big bit of a roll, come to think of it ). Will the sequence continue? Will Wynonie get the score right this week? (he and I share joint last place amongst those who've entered the PL every week ) Will Dick Barton escape from the clutches of the Mad Professor? Will we all be stuffed comatose by Monday? Win, lose or draw? Get your chips on the baize, Ladies and Gentlemen – Rien ne va plus (that's your actual French .......) after 15.00 hours on Boxing Day ………

Happy Christmas and a Fantastic New Year to everyone ………… and thanks for playing!

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-12-2011, 01:30   #2
Senior Member+

Re: 2011 Prediction League; Game 22 Morecambe (away)

1-1 tie please.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 07:46   #3
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Morecambe 1 - 2 Accrington Stanley Please for me
Old 23-12-2011, 08:19   #4
God Member

3-1 to The Stanley, please chaps.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 08:42   #5
Super Moderator

A moderately pleasing 6-2 to the Stanley please!
Old 23-12-2011, 08:45   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Stanley 2-0 fer me.
Old 23-12-2011, 08:53   #7
Senior Member+

3-0 to Stanley please
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 13:13   #8
God Member

Morecambe 0 - 2 Accrington Stanley, please.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 14:51   #9
Senior Member+

1-1 please
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 16:04   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Its in the water Stanley 4-1 Shrimplings, please
Old 23-12-2011, 16:51   #11
Senior Member+

Toes crossed, 2-1 Stanley as a late Crimbo present.
Old 23-12-2011, 17:35   #12

2-1 to the stanley please
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 18:57   #13
God Member

2-3 to the stanley
Old 23-12-2011, 19:42   #14

2 1 stanley please
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 20:11   #15
Senior Member+

second away win of the season on the cards - 2-1 to Stanley (Accy Stanley not Craig)

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..