Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-08-2011, 00:38   #1
Senior Member+

2011 Prediction League; Game 4 Port Vale (away)

Port Vale

V

Accrington Stanley

2011 Prediction League – Game 4; v Port Vale (away)

In the language of the railways, this was ‘Returns and Departures’; the return that mattered, of course, was manager Micky Adams , who was re-hired – his first stint as Valiants’ Manager being from June 09 to Dec 10 (and when he left, Vale were second in the table) - after his dreadful sojourn at the Blades (it took 14 games before his first win there ). Sacked by Sheff Utd’s owners (by mutual consent ) after relegation, he immediately returned to Vale Park, replacing Jim Gannon, whose “turbulent” reign had lasted 74 days and alienated almost everybody , Mark Grew having held the reins in between. With Gannon in charge, a certain promotion crumbled into dust, and they finished the season with a record of P46 W17 D14 L15 F54 A49 for 65 points and 11th place …………

The departure – strange on the face of it – was Justin Richards, who – with namesake Marc Richards – had been the big hit of the first half of the season, scoring for fun. Vale was Justin Richards’ 13th club, and he’d scored 17 goals for Kidderminster in 42 games in 08/9 and 15 in 47 games for Cheltenham in 09/10; in fact, he hit 14 in 50 games for Vale in 10/11, but the partnership was broken at the turn of the year by a thigh injury to Marc, and when he came back, Justin fell out of favour (Tom Pope and Marc Richards being the preferred starters); that may have been influenced in part by his Court appearance at Leeds just before Christmas, when he admitted affray (described as a “drunken brawl”) and was dealt with by fine and an unpaid work order. Defender Ritchie Sutton left the club for Mansfield, and fellow defender Kris Taylor for Darlington.

In came two 19 year old defenders from Sheffield Utd - (that’ll teach them to sack him (by mutual consent )) - Kingsley James and Phil Roe; they also signed 22 year old centre half Clayton McDonald from Walsall, AFC Totten’s Mike Green, ex Crewe and Rotherham striker Tom Pope (who got 3 goals during a loan spell with them last season), and two players (nominally) from Hyde Utd – Ben Williamson, a striker who started with the Glenn Hoddle Academy in Spain, and then joined Bournemouth, and Ryan Burge, ex Doncaster midfielder who also played in Spain for Jerez International – Glenn Hoddle United. The “Hyde Utd” connection is that they are now the ‘partner club’ in the UK of Glenn H’s Academy – also, it seems, some kind of “clearing house”.

This season they started with a 2-2 draw at home to Crawley – many peoples’ favourites to buy their way into League One in the automatic places ; 2 down, they got one back through Richards (Marc), and the equalising goal in added time from Dodds; the Carling First Road brought a home defeat by Huddersfield (4-2) , and thereafter they won 3-1 at Barnet (two for Sean Rigg, one for Gary Roberts), and last night they took the short trip to Burton on Trent, where - courtesy of midfielder Doug Loft - they managed a 1-1 draw against the Albion (who included one Justin Richards in their side, as well as Calvin “Couldn’t hit the floor with his hat” Zola); three League games resulting in one win and two draws, six goals scored, 5 points, and 10th place – two places and one point above us (although we’re actually only 3 points off the automatic promotion spots ……………… ); they’ve got Tranmere to face away in the JPT First Round; we drew Carlisle, you might remember; leading scorers are Rigg, Loft and Roberts with two each, and Richards and Dodds with one

Our League record against them over the last 3 seasons is P6 W3 D1 L2 ; we won both games 2-0 in 08/09 (Craney and Mullin, and Proccie and Jimmy Ryan), drew 2-2 away but lost 2-1 at home (Bobby Grant) in 09/10, and lost twice at their place in the Micky Adams part of last season, 2-0 in the League and 1-0 in the First Round of the FA Cup, before taking revenge later in the season with a 3-0 victory at Fortress Crown (or, as the BBC still call it, the Fraser Eagle Stadium ); goals by Sean McStockportCounty, and by Ian Craney (86) and Captain Proccie-Marvel (89) did the damage.

The deadline for entries is, as ever, scheduled kick-off time, which is 3pm on Saturday 20th August. We played well on Tuesday; lots of people anxious to stick the ball in their net – Wes Fletcher , Nat Taylor , Kurtis Guthrie – the list goes on and on. 6-1? (it’s got to happen one day, Wynonie! ) Boring 0-0? Thrilling 0-0? Sneaky last minute winner? 94th minute penalty? Anything’s possible, but no prediction guarantees you “nul points”, so get 'em down and score some points………

Good luck to everyone ………… and thanks for playing!

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-08-2011, 04:04   #2
Senior Member+

Re: 2011 Prediction League; Game 4 Port Vale (away)

1-1 for me please.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 04:56   #3
God Member

2-1 to The Stanley, my good men.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 07:53   #4
Super Moderator

Nurse has just been round with my pills, so I'm going for a rational 1-0 to the Stanley.
Old 17-08-2011, 07:58   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i also think 1-0 to stanley.
Old 17-08-2011, 08:01   #6
Senior Member+

2-1 Valiants for me please, But take note Stanley I do hope it is the other way round!

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 08:50   #7
Resting in Peace

1-1 for me Mab, and nice to see the tablets have taken effect Wyn
Old 17-08-2011, 10:00   #8
Senior Member+

2 - 3 to Stanley please!
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 13:34   #9
Senior Member+

2-2
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 17:05   #10
Senior Member+

Port Vale 1-1 Accrington Stanley
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 17:26   #11

1-1 please
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 17:40   #12
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Confidence is up so Stanley 2 - 0 Vale, please
Old 17-08-2011, 17:44   #13
Senior Member+

2-1 Stanley please
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 18:21   #14

We're off & running after Tuesday night, so going for another win for the Stanley Boys 2 - 1
Mysteron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 22:04   #15
God Member

2-2 please

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..