Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 21:45   #1
Senior Member+

2011 Prediction League; Game 43 Cheltenham (away)

Cheltenham Town

V

Accrington Stanley

2011 Prediction League – Game 43; v Cheltenham (away)

Under the heading “You Couldn’t Make It Up If You Tried” I rather liked this BBC Sport website headline from 22nd March:-

“Burgess and McLean join Cheltenham

They actually did sign Burgess and McLean; no, not those two – they signed Notts County’s Ben Burgess (30) – ex Blackpool, Blackburn, Stockport and Hull striker who – the Boss claims – is “a big target man who’s good with his feet as well” (as well as what, Mark? ) and Yeovil’s ex Rangers, Blades, Cardiff and Plymouth striker Steve McLean (29); on top of that, they’ve re-signed Birmingham’s England u21 keeper Jack Butland (18) who was there earlier in the season, and Everton’s 18 year-old England u19 defender Luke Garbett (who cost £600,000 when signed from Leeds’ Academy set-up). As well as those four loanees, they signed Jermaine McGlashan (23) from Aldershot to bolster their midfield ……..

You’d wonder, wouldn’t you, how a team whose results over their last 10 games are 2 wins, 2 draws and 6 defeats, manages to remain in the playoff places …………? If you go back to the start of that period their record was 60 points from 32 games, leaving them 2nd, 1 point behind Swindon ; now, its P42 W20 D8 L14 F57 A46 for 68 points and 6th – 2 points above Oxford and Crewe …….they seem to be hanging on by their fingernails – even more so when you realise that they’ve actually only scored at all in one of their last 7 fixtures ; in those ten games they’ve had home wins over Barnet and Burton (both 2-0), home draws against Oxford (0-0) and Northants (2-2), and a home 3-0 defeat by Gillingham; away, 5 straight losses – Morecambe (3-1), Swindon (1-0), Shrewsbury (2-0), Southend (4-0) and Rotherham (under Steve Evans – although he got there late, and the first thing he saw was Lewis Grabban miss a penalty!) by 1-0, the goal coming in the 93rd minute of 94). In those 10 games they’ve scored just 7, and conceded 16

The Robins don’t travel very well, especially of late; W9 D3 L9 F32 A32; at home, it’s W11 D5 L5 F25 A14. Manager Mark Yates is – or is pretending to be – upbeat, though; after Monday’s loss at the Don Valley Stadium, he said,

"I don't have any doubt we can hold our nerves, we're disappointed to get beaten today but there's 12 points to play for and we're in the box seat."

Depends how you define “box seat”, Mark ; I think you need to watch over your shoulder, because Crewe (and Oxford) are coming up fast on the outside rails ………………….

We’ve got a funny old record against them; in 2009/10 we whipped them 4-0 at Fortress Crown (Chris Turner, Sunbeds (penalty) and Bobby Grant (2) doing the damage) and drew the return 1-1 (Turner again); last season we lost 4-2 at home (Gornell and Sunbeds (penalty)) but won 2-1 away , with goals by Terry Gornell and Leam Richardson (89) – his first goal in over 3 ½ years; on an instantly forgettable Friday last October we lost 1-0 at home……………. P5 W2 D1 L2 F9 A7 Pts 7 ………. By the way, does anybody remember when we last got a penalty? I’m not even sure we’ve had one this season ………….

Their leading scorers, unusually, are almost all strikers; scottish striker Darryl Duffy (28) – ex Falkirk, Pirates, Swansea, Hartlepool and Hull – tops the list with 15; Welsh born Kaid Mohammed (27), with Swindon, Torquay, Forest Green and the Wombles on the CV, has 10; Huddersfield loanee James Spencer (20) - who spent last season at Morecambe, you might remember, where he hit 8 in 33 games – has 9, and Jeff Goulding (27), formerly of the Cherries, Hayes and Yeading and Eastbourne, and 24 year-old midfielder Luke Summerfield (Plymouth. Orient and Bournemouth) both have 6. Wish we had a 15 – 20 goal-a-season striker …………. Or two!

The deadline for entries is, as ever, scheduled kick-off time, which is 3pm on Saturday 14th April. Another draw? Another win? (that’d be nice! ). 0-0? 7-4? 26-0? Some of us – me, Wynonie, DaveinGermany and Chimer to name but 4 – can’t win the PL this season – but we can still play for pride ………..!

Good luck to everyone ………… and thanks for playing!

Last edited by Div3North; 11-04-2012 at 21:48.
Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-04-2012, 21:51   #2
Super Moderator

Re: 2011 Prediction League; Game 43 Cheltenham (away)

No such word as "can't" in my vocabulary....6-1 to the Stanley. Onwards and upwards!
Old 11-04-2012, 22:03   #3
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Cheltenham Town 1 - 2 Accrington Stanley Please for me
Old 11-04-2012, 22:06   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

2-1 to Stanley n the stewards will probably put a couple in hospital, do i get extra if both are correct?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:16   #5
Full Member+

3-1 to Stanley.
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:09   #6
God Member

3-0 to The Stanley, please chaps.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:19   #7
Resting in Peace

1-1 please
Old 12-04-2012, 09:23   #8

3-1 to Stanley
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:32   #9

Confident for an away win so its Cheltenham 1 - Stanley Boys 2
Mysteron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:40   #10
Senior Member+

2-1 to Stanley please
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 15:22   #11
Senior Member+

Cheltenham Town 1-1 Accrington Stanley
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 15:35   #12

Cheltenham 1 Stanley 1 please
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 20:36   #13
Senior Member+

I fancy a draw but head says win for Stanley so 2-1 Accy please (head rules)

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 20:40   #14
Senior Member+

Chelt 2 - 1 Stanley
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 12:43   #15

Yeti Pentathlon Champion!
Cash Beast Champion!

1-1 please
norwich stanley is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..