Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 23:29   #1
Senior Member+

2011 Prediction League; Game 46 Crawley Town (home)

Accrington Stanley

V

Crawley Town

2011 Prediction League – Game 46; v Crawley (home)

Come on, it’s not that difficult ; if Crawley win, they go up whatever Torquay and Southend do; if Crawley draw, they still go up unless Torquay win (in which case they go up), or – if Torquay (who must really be sick as a flock of parrots about Crewe’s 93rd minute goal last Saturday ) draw or lose and Southend win - Southend go up instead; if Crawley lose and Torquay draw, then Torquay go up unless Southend win, in which case it’s them ; if Crawley and Torquay both lose and Southend draw, then Southend go up on goal difference; if all three draw, it’s Crawley; if all three lose, it’s still Crawley. For my money, Southend have the best of it; they play Macclesfield at home (I wonder if Harry turned England down so he could take over at Moss Rose? ); Crawley, as we know, have a date with destiny among the dark satanic mills , and Torquay go to Hereford, who did it unto Crawley big style just a week since ……………..

They’ve made some money selling strikers this season, have Crawley, but at what cost? They bought Salisbury’s Matt Tubbs (27) for £55k, and sold him to Bournemouth in January for a reputed £800k; Tyrone Barnett arrived from Macclesfield (good move, Son! ) and went to Peterborough; Wes Thomas came in from Cheltenham and almost immediately went out to the Cherries. If I tell you their list of goalscorers has 25 names on it , would you be surprised? So would I – but it does!

They signed Irish u21 striker Billy Clarke (24) from Blackpool; on loan, in came Arsenal’s Sanchez Watt (20, also a striker), ex Walsall, Raith, Hereford, Carlisle, Preston, Cobblers and Colchester striker Karl Hawley (30) from Notts Co, Brentford (and ex Hull, Leyton Orient and Millwall) striker Gary Alexander (32), and Leon Clarke (27) – who, just this season, has been with Swindon (briefly! ), Chesterfield (on loan), Charlton (who he signed for in January) and Crawley (on loan from March); striker, striker, striker, striker and striker …………….. is there a theme developing here? ……..Oh, and 31 year-old defender Warren Cummins from Bournemouth ……….. Out on loan went ex Cod Army defender Charlie Wassmer (20), and John Akinde (22) – ex Ebbsfleet and Bristol City – who both joined the Daggers (as Akinde did last year, from Bristol City); 1 goal in 25 games, as a striker, isn’t going to get your name first place on the team sheet …….no wonder we sold him when we all owned Ebbsfleet …… and picked the team ………… Not!

At the moment their record is P45 W22 D15 L8 F75 A54 for 81 points and 3rd place (with a better goal difference than Torquay by +21 to +14); away, they’re on 8 wins, 10 draws and 4 defeats, having scored 28 but conceded 29; 34 points in 22 games may explain why joint owner Susan Carter insists it won’t be the "end of the world" if they fail to clinch automatic promotion from League Two (yes it will, Missus ). Their last 6 games (4 at home) have yielded 2 wins, 3 draws (all by 1-1, at Dagenham and home to the Wombles and to Crewe), and one defeat (3-0 at home to the Bulls last week ); 6 games, 9 points …….. Southend must be licking their lips in anticipation ………

They had the unique distinction of winning the first ever Carling Cup preliminary round game (against AFC Wombles by 3-2), but then went out in the First Round proper at Crystal Palace 2-0; the JPT did them no better – losing 1-0 at Roots Hall in the First Round. The FA Cup run saw wins at Bury (2-0), at home to Redbridge (5-0), and at home to Bristol City (1-0), before losing 2-0 in Round 4 against Stoke. 86 goals in all competitions, 25 scorers; main amongst them are (were) Matt Tubbs with 17, Tyrone Barnett (whose career began at Rushall Olympic, Telford, Willenhall Town and Hednesford before his one season at Macc (13 goals in 49 games), part of a season at Crawley (14 in 26) and a bit of a season at the Posh (4 in 12)) with 14, Gary Alexander (14 in 36 games for the Bees) with 7, and Argentinian Sergio Torres (28), who left Banfield de Mar del Plata to try his luck in England, and finished up at Wycombe and Peterborough , who has 4.

We haven’t played them in the League before this season, and 1-1 away (whatever that nice Mr Evans had to say) was a decent result (Peter Murphy giving us the lead just before half time); bragging rights still available

The deadline for entries is, as ever, scheduled kick-off time, which is 3.00pm on Saturday 5th May. We’ve only lost one in five against them if you include Conference games, and Morecambe stuffed them; their 22 away League games have ended with them scoring 5 once, 3 once, 2 five times, 1 ten times and 0 on five occasions; not promotion form, do I hear you say? You could be right ……………… Not all of us can win the PL title, but we can get into training for next season; and anyway, it occurs to me that it’s ‘appen a good thing we haven’t got a season ticket as a prize this year, since the current competition leader supports Someone Else …….. Shame on him! Get your entries in, Guys and Gals ………. The Silver and Bronze might still be within reach!

On a personal note, since this is the last game of the season, can I thank everyone for playing, for your (occasional) kind comments, for the friendly abuse, and for the craic generally; huge thanks and praise for my mate Chimer for all his efforts doing the bit I could never have done; and to all the new friends I’ve made this year – thanks for everything. I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve had an absolute blast ……………..See you in August!

For the final time this season, good luck to everyone ………… and thanks for playing!

Div3North is online now   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-05-2012, 01:47   #2
Full Member+

Re: 2011 Prediction League; Game 46 Crawley Town (home)

3-2 to Stanley
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:07   #3
God Member

3-1 to The Stanley, please.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:38   #4
God Member

2-2 please
Old 02-05-2012, 06:46   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

2-1 to the reds.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:44   #6
Super Moderator

May as well finish in style...8-1 to the Stanley!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:08   #7
Senior Member+

Accrington Stanley 2-1 Crawley Town
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:13   #8
Resting in Peace

2-2 for me please
Old 02-05-2012, 08:36   #9

2-1 to stanley please
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:05   #10

Stanley 2 Crawley 2.
Proccy fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:41   #11
Senior Member+

If Hereford can put three past 'em at home we can get four so I'll go for a 2-0 Stanley win, just in case we don't!

And thanks to both of you for running this throughout the season. Please will you do it next year too?
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:16   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Please will you do it next year too?
Did you think you'd get rid of us that easily?

Thank you Mike ..........
Old 02-05-2012, 10:23   #13
Senior Member+

1. "Torquay left-back Kevin Nicholson says his club has the experience to succeed in the play-offs, should they fail to clinch third place in League Two."

2. "Crawley Town co-owner Susan Carter insists it will not be the "end of the world" if they fail to clinch automatic promotion from League Two."

3. No news from Southend (yet!) .............

Not a lot of positive vibes about, are there?
Old 02-05-2012, 11:45   #14
Junior Member+

Congratulations DIV3 NORTH - That summary is so good I've printed off a copy.
I watched Crawley Reserves yesterday at Broadfield against Cheltenham Reserves. The Crawley side were players normally off the bench. Crawley were winning 4-0 until they took most of their forward line off and put the youth players on, result 4-2.
I was overjoyed to see Scott Shearer- goalkeeper back- he no doubt will be at Accy. David Hunt was also back following the Stoke hacking incident which ended up with the usual break.
Regarding the Carter comments, it was the Directors that made us sell the two top scorers nothing to do with Pie-man Evans.
So sadly for yourselves the forwards will have their scoring boots on - Crawley win 3-1 your goal from the referee's interpretation of a penalty.
Looking forward to a good match.
Tonyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyt View Post
Congratulations DIV3 NORTH - That summary is so good I've printed off a copy.
I watched Crawley Reserves yesterday at Broadfield against Cheltenham Reserves. The Crawley side were players normally off the bench. Crawley were winning 4-0 until they took most of their forward line off and put the youth players on, result 4-2.
I was overjoyed to see Scott Shearer- goalkeeper back- he no doubt will be at Accy. David Hunt was also back following the Stoke hacking incident which ended up with the usual break.
Regarding the Carter comments, it was the Directors that made us sell the two top scorers nothing to do with Pie-man Evans.
So sadly for yourselves the forwards will have their scoring boots on - Crawley win 3-1 your goal from the referee's interpretation of a penalty.
Looking forward to a good match.
Penalty ????? We won't get one of them
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..