Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2012, 00:58   #1
Senior Member+

2012 Prediction League; Game 24 v Bradford City (away)

Bradford City

V

Accrington Stanley

2012/13 Prediction League – Game 24; v Bradford City (away)

Some players are sad to leave their former club and move on; some are happy; some don’t care ………….. Much-travelled defender Guy Branston was obviously livid when the Bantams let him go in the summer; he joined Aldershot (his 18th club – yes, seriously ), played five games, and was loaned to Bristol Rovers – then managed by Mark McGhee, for whom Branston played at Leicester many years ago. And who did he make his Pirates’ debut against? Got it – Bradford ; and he scored, after 79 seconds ; and after the game he had this to say:

• I wanted to go over to [Bradford boss] Phil Parkinson and stick my finger up. I had a hard time at Bradford. He stitched me up last year and made me work really hard for something that was never going to materialise. I really just wanted to stick one over him but you can't do that as a player - you have to say the right things at the right time.”

Stick one over him? Hmm? Happy Christmas (ex) Boss!

They lost ex Middlesbrough and Stoke defender Andrew Davies (27) and ex Stevenage and Wycombe CH (do they still have CHs?) Luke Oliver (28) to injury, both in the same game (a 1-0 loss at Burton at the end of October); Davies is out for 3 or 4 months, Oliver – who was one of the five sent off in the Crawley Brawl in March, and who was named the Bantams’ Player of the Year a month later (but not because of that, I suspect ) – for the season with a ruptured Achilles tendon. That prompted loan signings galore; Craig Forsyth (23), a winger from Dundee via Watford; Australian defender Curtis Good (19) – the Newcastle defender whose appearance in the drawn FA Cup game against Brentford caused the Bantams expulsion, since he wasn’t properly registered, only for that expulsion to be reversed on appeal – who must have something going for him because Newcastle have apparently signed him to a six year contract when he joined from Melbourne Heart in the summer ; England u19 MF Blair Turgott joined from the Hammers; Derby County’s ex Mansfield defender Tom Naylor (21) signed, and Sunderland’s Irish defender John Egan (20) completes the new squad.

Eventually they lost a Cup game , as you’ll have seen, going down 4-2 at Brentford in the FA Cup Replay; most of the loanees – who seem to have established themselves – were unavailable for that game; in the Johnstone’s PaintPot they play their semi-final at Crewe on 15th January (they’re the only League 2 side left in the Northern Section), while in the League Cup (aka the Capon Cup) they have a two-legged semi-final against Villa (who’ll be smarting or totally depressed by yesterday’s 8-0 mauling by Chelsea ) on 8th and 22nd January.

Their League position keeps improving; when we played them in September they were 12th; after 22 games they’re up to 6th, on 36 points; at home their record is a worrying W7 D2 L2 F18 A6 ; away, it’s W3 D4 L4 F15 A18; overall, W10 D6 L6, 33 scored and 24 conceded. The only sides to have beaten them at the Valley in the League are Exeter and Port Vale, each by the odd goal in one , and the draws have been against Chesterfield (0-0) and York (1-1) ……….. If you add Cup wins at home against Burton, the Cobblers and, of course, Woolwich Arsenal – two of those games netting them 3 goals each – then they are, unarguably, a force to be reckoned with.

Early doors this season we drew 1-1 at our place, Podge’s 73rd minute goal (“against the run of play”, if you believe Auntie Beeb - but who does? ) being cancelled out by Alan Connell’s 83rd minute chip. That leaves us with a record against them (since 2006) of 4 wins, 5 draws and 2 defeats, both of the losses being at home; we haven’t, actually, lost at their place at all – one win, four 1-1 draws ……which is a record we’d quite like to extend …………….thank you, Santa.

Former Carlisle (and Bermudan international) striker Nahki Wells has 15 for the season (12 in the League), ex Guiseley striker (and, at 6’4”, the only player who cost them a transfer fee - £7,500.00! ) James Hanson has 7 (5) and Alan Connell (ex Bournemouth, Torquay, Hereford, Brentford and Grimsby) has 5 (4); 11 others have chipped in with 1, 2 or 3.

The deadline for entries is, as ever, scheduled kick-off time, which is 3.00pm on Boxing Day; like Cashy said, it’s disappointing that we can’t collect our customary 3 points from the Globe that day , but there it is ………. But we do need something out of this game; 2 wins in 14 is a tad worrying ; that said, we’re still – even in 17th place – only 7 points off the Play-Offs . Keep the Faith! ….. And if young Dawber plays, I hope he has a blinder ; and that James Beattie, Carver or Will Hatfield (who’s still joint leading scorer in the FA Cup , by the way, alongside Aldershot’s Danny Hylton) score a spectacular winner with three minutes left ……… Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Good luck to everyone …… A very Happy Christmas to One and All …… and thanks for playing!

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-12-2012, 01:36   #2
Super Moderator

Re: 2012 Prediction League; Game 24 v Bradford City (away)

A festive 3-1 to the Stanley please! Ho ho ho!
Old 24-12-2012, 05:05   #3
Senior Member+

Bradford 0 Stanley 0 please
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 05:57   #4

Bradford 1 Stanley 1
Proccy fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 06:57   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

2-0 bradford fer me.
Old 24-12-2012, 08:06   #6
God Member

3-1 to The Stanley, please.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 08:48   #7
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

The old Stanley 4 - 2 Bantams please D3N.
Old 24-12-2012, 10:49   #9

sadly : Bradford City 4 Stanley 1
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 16:13   #10
Senior Member+

1-1 again will do for me, making us as good as Arsenal (before penalties) ..... hoping for better of course.
Old 24-12-2012, 17:15   #11
Senior Member+

Bradford 3 Stanley 1

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 17:38   #12

2-2 please
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 20:21   #13
Senior Member+

Sadly I think we may be beaten at the Parade, but I will plump for a draw, 1 a piece please

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 21:10   #14
Senior Member+

2-1 to Bradford please
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 23:34   #15

Bradford city 3 Stanley 3
stanleyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..