Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2014, 00:19   #1
Senior Member+

2013 Prediction League; Game 42 v York City (away)

York City

V

Accrington Stanley

2013/14 Prediction League – Game 42; v York City (away)

Peter Murphy ………..90th minute ………………..You heard it here first!

Anyone care to hazard a guess how many goals York have conceded in their last 11 games? As a marker for you, Rochdale have conceded 4 – none in their last 5 games - we’ve conceded 9 and Torquay have conceded 13 (having lost 7 of those eleven 1-0) ………and by the way, did you see the piece of spectacular optimism from Gulls’ Boss Chris Hargreaves this week;

Well they do say that God loves a tryer ……..how he feels about the criminally insane I’m not sure …………… Anyway, back to York; the answer to this week’s conundrum is, believe it or not, ONE! One goal conceded in their last 11 games, during which they’ve won 4-0 at Plymouth, 1-0 at Pompey, Mansfield and the Wombles, drawn 0-0 at Rochdale, drawn 0-0 at home to Burton, Southend and Cheltenham, and beaten Torquay 1-0, Wycombe 2-0 and Exeter 2-1 at Bootham Crescent . The goal, for the record, was scored (on March 1st) by Exeter’s Scot Bennett on 29 minutes …since then, York have played 691 minutes (11 ½ hours ) without their net, as it were, rippling ……….Four goalless draws, four 1-0 wins, one 2-0 win, one 2-1 win, and a 4-0 to round it all off; it’s no wonder, I suppose, with that quality of defending, that they’ve now moved into the Playoffs, lying 7th with a record of 15 wins, 15 draws, 11 losses, 46 scored and 38 conceded, and 60 points – two behind Southend in 6th, and one ahead of Oxford (8th) and two ahead of Plymouth (9th) ………… Mind you, that’s probably all about to change – Nigel Worthington won Manager of the Month!

Over the season, in League games, they’ve kept NINETEEN clean sheets …… and they’ve failed to score themselves 17 times ! And don’t mention the Cup competitions; they lost 4-0 at Plymouth in the Capital One, 4-1 at home to Scunthorpe in the PaintBox, and 3-2 at home to Brizzle R in the FA Cup after a 3-3 draw away ………..4 games, 14 goals conceded; work that one out if you can!

They’ve done some Squad-Strengthening in the transfer/loan market; Charlton GK Nick Pope (21) and Middlesbrough winger Ryan Brobbel (21) – for the second time – came in on loan; ex Posh striker Shaquille McDonald (18), who joined Peterborough on a four year deal in the summer and left after 7 months , signed on the York dotted line; MF Russell Penn (28) – once of Burton and Cheltenham – did the same, as did two from Mansfield – striker Calvin Andrew (27), ex Luton and Palace, and released by the Stags, and the former captain of Port Vale’s promotion side John McCombe (24, defender, watch out for him coming up at corners ), whose stay at Field Mill was about half a season. Ex striker Richard Cresswell retired at the beginning of December with eye and knee issues (I know the feeling! ) at the age of 36, having finished his career (142 goals in 652 appearances) where he started, and having played for Sheff Wed, PNE, Leeds, Stoke and Sheff Utd in between; he’s just gone back this week as “Development Consultant”, with - I quote – “Commercial, Academy and Community Functions”; it’ll take him until Christmas to work out his job description, I’d have thought …………….

They have a total of 51 goals in 46 games to date; leading scorers are ex-Burnley and Stanley striker Wes Fletcher (22), with 13; Ryan Jarvis (who made his League debut for Norwich when Worthington was the Canaries’ Manager) joined from Torquay (good move, son), having played for Leyton Orient and Walsall in between, and has nine goals to his name; and Ryan Bowman (22, a striker, formerly on the books of Carlisle, Darlington (whatever happened to them? ) and Hereford, follows close behind with 8.

We met them, you’ll remember, last Boxing Day at Fortress ScoreFirst, and they did – Fletcher converting a 35th minute penalty, but George Bowerman getting us level ten minutes later; 1-1 – the same score as the away fixture last season, and better than our 2-0 home defeat over Christmas 2012; P3 W0 D2 L1 F2 A4 Pts 2 ……………………….Rubbish!

Business end of the season now; anyone think Torquay can win 5 out of 5 and stay up? Nor do I Northants? 43 points. Despite their win at our place they’ve a tough task – Burton today, then Wycombe (away), Pompey at home, the Daggers away and finally Oxford – all bar the Daggers with a lot to play for ; Wycombe (on 46, three points and a more favourable goal difference better off) play Newport (away), the Cobblers at home, and then Fleetwood away, Bristol Rovers at home (there’s another 6-pointer) and end up at Torquay (which might be their saving grace); Bristol Rovers and Exeter both have 4 points on Northants, plus a better goal-difference by 12/14 goals, so effectively a five-point buffer ………… Cobblers or Wycombe? Do we actually mind, as long as it’s not us? Maybe we don’t, that much …………

Deadline for entries is, as always, scheduled kick-off time, which – as you’ll all know – is Saturday 12th April at15.07, in memory of the 96. We should lose, which usually means we won’t ……….C’mon you Reds!

Good luck to everyone …… Remember; passion overcomes logic! …………Keep the Faith! ….…..and thanks for playing!

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-04-2014, 00:27   #2
Senior Member+

Re: 2013 Prediction League; Game 42 v York City (away)

York 2 - 0 Stanley
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:13   #3
Senior Member+

1-1 please
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:07   #4
Senior Member+

York 0 Stanley 0 please
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:26   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

1-0 Stanley fer me.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:54   #6
Super Moderator

4-2 to the Stanley please!
Old 11-04-2014, 09:04   #7
God Member

2 - 2 for me please ( & hopefully a better spectacle than last season at their place but if it's a rubbish game & we take something from it that'll do)
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:28   #8

0-0 please
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:48   #9
Senior Member+

York 3 - 0 acci
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:53   #10
Senior Member+

york 1 - stanley 2 for me please

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:57   #11

Stanley 1 York 1
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 13:08   #12
Senior Member+

I'll go for the 1 - 1 draw also. Thanks D3N.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 14:49   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
York 2 - 0 Stanley
DAV007 I hope you've got it the wrong way round.......

Accrington 2 - 0 York
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 15:54   #14

2-2 please
JIMSLAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 17:15   #15
Senior Member+

I'll have a 5-1 Stanley win, please...
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..