Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-12-2014, 22:14   #1
Senior Member+

2014 Accrington Stanley V Wycombe Wanderers (home)

Accrington Stanley

V

Wycombe Wanderers

2014/15 Prediction League - Game 21; v Wycombe (home)

I thought, this week, we’d start with the five most interesting facts about Wycombe ………….
1………..
2………..
3………..
4………..
5………..

OK, moving right along; this week’s starter for 10; what links the Stanley, Oldham Athletic and Ipswich? Answer – but you all knew that – is that they’re the teams with the longest continuous tenure in Leagues 2 and 1, and the Championship!

Right; Wycombe ………..they nearly made it into the League in 1992, but lost out to Colchester on goal difference. They made it the year after, though, under Martin O’Neill (who then turned down the Manager’s job at Forest to stay with the Chairboys) – and the won the FA Trophy to boot, beating Runcorn 4-1; in 93/94 they made the Playoffs, putting out Carlisle in the Semis and then PNE in the Final (4-2) ……….they’ve been up and down quite a bit – promoted most recently in 2008/9 and 2010/11, but with short stays each time ………..they’re possibly most famous for their FA Cup exploits in 2000/1, when they beat Harrow Borough, Millwall after a replay, Grimsby – also after a replay –Wolves 2-1, the Wombles on penalties after two 2-2 draws, and Leicester 2-1, before eventually succumbing to Liverpool in the Semi-Final 2-1, which won them the FA Cup Giant Killers Award for 2000/01 ……………. I didn’t actually know there was one, but there we are ………..

Best known summer signings were one Peter Murphy, and his former team-mate Joe Jacobson, who appear to be playing a storm …….Famous ex-managers include John Gregory, Lawrie Sanchez, Tony Adams, John Gorman, Paul Lambert, Peter Taylor and Gary Waddock (who HASN’T been appointed as Assistant Manager of Portsmouth with a view to him taking over from Andy Awful …………….Honestly! True as I’m riding this bike …………)

Top of the League, scoring for fun; P20 W12 D5 L3 F35 A18 for 41 points …… And this, remember, the side who should, but all that’s right, have gone down to the Conference only 7 months ago ……..At home – 5 wins, 3 draws and two defeats; away, seven wins, two draws (York 0-0 and Pompey 1-1) and one defeat (Exeter 2-1)

They departed the League Cup 1-0 at Millwall, and the PaintyThing by the same score to Coventry; the FA Cup they beat Barnet 3-1 before losing to the Wombles 1-0 at home ….

Leading scorers are Paul Hayes (9), Peter Murphy (7), Paris-Cowan-Hall, Matt McClure and Sam Wood with 4, and Joe Jacobson with 3. Bragging rights are up for grabs – P12, W4 D4 L4 …………two draws last season (and I think we’d settle for that now, wouldn’t we?

Short thread, ‘cos I’ve dragged meself off me sick bed to do it …. Rules are the same as always though …………deadline for entries is scheduled kick-off time, which is 3.00pm this Saturday, 20th December.

Me and my mate Chimer wish you all a Very Happy Christmas (don’t we Boss?) ……… Good luck to everyone ………Keep the Faith! ………..And thanks for playing!

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-12-2014, 22:27   #2
Super Moderator

Re: 2014 Accrington Stanley V Wycombe Wanderers (home)

6-1 to the Stanley...and a cool yule to you and Chimer!
Old 18-12-2014, 22:32   #3
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Accrington Stanley 2 - 1 Wycombe Wanderers Please for me
Old 18-12-2014, 22:32   #4
Senior Member+

Accrington Stanley 2 - 0 Wycombe Wandrers please.
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 22:38   #5

2 1 Accy please
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 05:17   #6
God Member

3-2 Stanley please.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 06:47   #7
Senior Member+

asfc 3 - 3 wwfc
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 07:44   #8
Full Member+

Murphy got Jamie Devitt sent off earlier this season and after he was booed his dad was fighting in our main stand and hospitality lounge.
They are quite a decent team but they are experts at pulling shirts and wasting time.
Morecambe_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 07:44   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

2-0 Stanley.
Old 19-12-2014, 08:14   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe_Red View Post
Murphy got Jamie Devitt sent off earlier this season and after he was booed his dad was fighting in our main stand and hospitality lounge.
They are quite a decent team but they are experts at pulling shirts and wasting time.
Nice to see you back, Morecambe Red. Did you enjoy your win against Luton who had 5 regulars injured and had only 10 men for most of the match?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 08:28   #11
God Member

3-1 to The Stanley, please.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 08:47   #12
God Member

My head says go for a draw but decided to go with my heart & gut instinct & so I reckon 2 - 1 to Stanley please
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 08:53   #13
Senior Member+

A resounding 2 - 2 draw please D3N. Hope you are soon feeling much better.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 09:10   #14
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Nice to see you back, Morecambe Red. Did you enjoy your win against Luton who had 5 regulars injured and had only 10 men for most of the match?
With the budget Luton have , 5 out is no real handicap , we also had players out hence a 39 year old in midield (Stew Drummond)

We were murdering them when they still had 11.

So the answer is yes I did enjoy the win
Morecambe_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 10:37   #15
Senior Member+

Wishing a very happy xmas to you all
Wycombe will be hard to beat
Stanley 2 Wycombe 3 please
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..