Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-12-2014, 00:14   #1
Senior Member+

2014 Prediction League; Game 23 v Burton Albion (homeAccrington Stanley)

Accrington Stanley

V

Burton Albion

2014/15 Prediction League – Game 23 v Burton Albion (home)

This week’s starter for 10 ……………… Burton were promoted to the Football League in 2008/9, never having been League members in this guise before; in the five seasons that have followed, how many of the Conference Champions have similarly made the League for the first time, and what else do they have in common which Burton don’t share?

Answer – believe it or not – is three (actually the next three after Burton – Stevenage, Crawley and Fleetwood ) – and all of them then won promotion to League One (which Burton failed to do ), although Stevenage are now back in the Basement ……………… I used the expression “in this guise” on purpose, because in the 1890s and 1900s Burton actually had three teams in the Football League – Burton Swifts (1892 – 1900), Burton Wanderers (1893 – 1897) and Burton United (1901 – 1907) ……………..Burton Wanderers only lasted four seasons before being kicked out, but they managed, in that time, to beat Newcastle 9-0, which is still their record loss in the League …. And Burton Albion (known in Scotland as “Perfidious Albion” ), in their short tenure to date, have managed to lose 7-1 not once, but twice (Bristol Rovers in April 2012, and Port Vale 12 months after ………….)

Phil Edwards stayed ; Billy Kee (“Rodders”) moved on to Scunthorpe ; Gary Rowett went to Birmingham (P9 W5 D2 L2 – which have included consecutive home games resulting in a 6-1 win (Huddersfield) and a 4-0 defeat (Derby), following on from the 8-0 home thrashing by Bournemouth just before he arrived ), and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink arrived from Chelsea via Royal Antwerp, where he was Manager last season in the Belgian 2nd Division ………His 7 games in charge have resulted in a 100% home record (Luton 1-0, Hartlepool 4-0 and Tranmere 2-0) but a less thrilling away spell – one win (3-1 at Wycombe), two draws (1-1 at Exeter and 0-0 at Southend) and a single-goal defeat at (now) top of the table Shrewsbury ……………As a measure of how tight it is up there, Shrewsbury are top with 43 points and a goal difference of +18, Wycombe have 43 and +17, and Burton have 43 and +9 …. Jimmy Floyd, you might like to know, is only the 5th Manager of the Brewers since 1998 (Nigel Clough was there 10+ years, Roy McFarland followed him, then Paul Peschisolido (Mr Karen Brady) and Gary Rowett

A number of signings since J-F arrived; Suriname-born defender Kelvin Maynard (27) followed him from Antwerp; Norwich’s 20 year-old Remi Matthews (I know his 25 year old cousin, Remy Martin! ) joined on loan, as did Middlesbrough’s 18 year-old u19 international def Bryn Morris; and Yeovil GK Chris Weale (32) – once of Leicester – came in as cover for the unlucky Dean Lyness, who broke his leg in a freak training-ground accident (why are they always “freak” accidents? Why can’t soccer players have ordinary accidents?)

They’re out of all the Cups; the League Cup did provide some sport (Wigan dispatched 2-1 and QPR 1-0) before Brighton – now in search of a new Manager, James Beattie In Whom We Trust – did them 3-0 at the Tyre Depot ; Donnie came, saw and conquered 3-0 in the FLT; and Barnsley comfortably stuffed them 5-0 in the FA Cup just before J-F H rolled into town ………..Overall their League record is P23 W13 D4 L6 F32 A23 ………..add three cup goals to 32 in the League gives you 35 goals in 28 games (1 Ό goals a game) ……..Leading scorers are ex Burnley, Falkirk, Callies and Plymouth MF Alex McDonald (24) with six, Leicester loanee striker Jacob Blyth (22) – loan spells at Notts Co and Northampton – has 5; 25 year-old striker Lucas Akins (Huddersfield, Hamilton Accies, Tranmere and Stevenage) has 4, as does ex Wycombe and PNE forward Stuart Beavon (30) ………next in line stands one Phil “Sunbeds” Edwards , with two ………..

Deadline for entries is, as always, scheduled kick-off time, which is 3.00 pm on Sunday 28th December ………. I did a check on our Sunday performances last season, and the conclusion was that we’re crap on the Lord’s Day ; perhaps someone could have a word? Head-to-head is even; P10, W4 D2 L4 F14 A12 …………………. sadly, we lost to them twice last season (1-0 to a 98th minute “steal” chez nous, and 2-1 away) …………..Our turn, then ……..Seemples!

Good luck to everyone ……………Keep the Faith! …………..Happy New Year ………….and thanks for playing!

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-12-2014, 01:05   #2
Full Member+

Re: 2014 Prediction League; Game 23 v Burton Albion (homeAccrington Stanley)

If Crooks is our only "striker"?? we have zilch chance of a goal so i'll settle for Stanley 0 Burton 0.
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 07:36   #3
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Optimism still abounds!

2 - 1 to the Stanley please D3N.
Old 27-12-2014, 08:11   #4
God Member

3-1 to The Stanley, Please.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 08:47   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

1-0 stanley
Old 27-12-2014, 09:14   #6

2 1 Burton. Time to try new tactics
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 09:27   #7
God Member

After yesterday, who knows what can happen - we're just as likely to come out of the traps fighting for it as we are to dwell on the loss & be a shadow of ourselves, that's the beauty of of being a Stanley fan, you never know what you're gonna get!
Gonna go for the first option & plump for a 2 nil win to Stanley please
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 09:54   #8

Stanley 0 Burton. 3 please
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 11:01   #9

1 0 to Stanley please
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 12:29   #10
Senior Member+

Accrington 2 - 0 Burton please....
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 12:48   #11
Senior Member+

I intend to wait until I know the team. If Crooks is in the team, my prediction will differ from that if he isn't. I just hope I remember to predict during that half hour!
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 13:38   #12
Full Member+

2-1 to Burton
teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 13:39   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
I intend to wait until I know the team. If Crooks is in the team, my prediction will differ from that if he isn't. I just hope I remember to predict during that half hour!
I'd predict

Revived Red likes this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 15:23   #14

I think Accymad summed up the confused thinking - however I think Stanley have given me mood swings, so: Stanley 0 Brewers 2

C'mon Stanley, shots ON target and prove me wrong.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 20:59   #15
Super Moderator

4-1 to the Stanley please.
Kiwi John likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..