Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2016, 21:59   #1
Senior Member+

2015/16 Prediction League; Game 46 v Stevenage FC (home)

Accrington Stanley

V

Stevenage FC

2015/16 Prediction League; Game 46 v Stevenage (home)

Oh …………………….. my ……………………………goodness!

Come on, be honest; who actually foresaw this situation back in August? Last game; in pole position (which is a nice fall-back, but not much else, because one point may well not do it); full house (however many that actually is; I was at the Colchester game in 2004 and Fulham and Stevenage in 2011, which are the three biggest I can think of, but don’t know the numbers); eyes of the world on us …………and, fantastic though Leicester’s achievement is, who shares my view that – assuming we get over the line – ours is actually greater than theirs, given resources etc etc ? ….. Mean defence (conceded 6 in our last 11); goal scorers – have we had two score 15+ in any season since 2006? Shots; shots on target (Wycombe didn’t have even one last Saturday) ………….. the list goes on!

Brizzle’s Manager Darrell Clarke’s playing at psychology; he said

“We're the chasing team. The other two teams no doubt will be really nervous. They've got everything to lose now in that last game - we've got everything to gain. We've got make sure we do our job on Saturday. If we finish on 85 points and find ourselves not promoted, we'll be very, very unfortunate, and we'll go again in the play-offs.

Every team has got to win. Do I think we're due a bit of luck? Yes, I do."

And so you are, Darrell …………. Next week!

Ok, footie buffs; we all know that it was Teddy Sheringham; but who’s the current Stevenage manager? And did everyone see that that nice Mr Westley no longer parks his rear end on the Manager’s chair at Peterborough, as of about 10 days back? “Shame!” I thought .................. Not!

We remain the form team (hope I haven’t jinxed it now); our last 11 games – W8 D3 GF18 GA6 27 points ...........before The Run started (after we lost 3-1 to Pompey) we were 6th, on 57 points from 34 games, and 8 points behind Oxford and Plymouth in 2nd and 3rd; although the order has changed, interestingly it’s the same top seven now as it was then ..............which is no doubt why we’re all there ............. Our last six at home have resulted in 3 wins (Plymouth 2-1,Clapton Orient 1-0 and York 3-0) and 3 draws (Wycombe and Cambridge, each with a half-Desmond, and Morecambe (who’ve conceded a four, and five and a seven among their last five games, and 90 overall – second worst in the Football League behind Colchester’s 97) with a ProperDesmond; ....... Stevenage’s away record so far is P22 W5 D6 L11; their away wins include Brizzle and the Wombles (each by 2-1), Morecambe (there’s a surprise) 4-1, to match their 4-3 win earlier, Luton (1-0 – Paul Hart’s now Asst Manager there) and Hartlepool (2-1) ........... they’re on a runlette (that’s a small run ..........!) – last 10 = W3 D4 L3; amazing what happens when you sack the manager! They’re 19th (and not going anyway far from there) with an overall record of P45 W11 D14 L20 GF52 GA67 for 47 points, above Crawley on GD (-15 plays -30) and one point below Yeovil .....only seven teams have scored fewer than their 52, and only six have conceded more than their 67 .......the one thing we should note, though, is that as well as the wins away at Brizzle and the Wombles they’ve also drawn 1-1 on the road at Pompey and Oxford ........hmmmm!

We went darn Sarf the week before Christmas, conceded a 1st minute goal (credited in the better papers to Gnanduillet’s Knee, which sounds like an off-Broadway French Farce), and had to wait until the 85th minute for Billy Whizz to equalise from the spot. Our head to head (leaving aside the Playoffs in 2011, which I refuse to discuss) is W1 (1-0 at home in 2010/11) L1 (2-1 away last season) and three draws – one each season!

AND – before I forget – this season’s last starter for 10; name the Fulham player who we had on loan for four games in 2014, who played ten on loan at Stevenage earlier this season, and who scored for them against Wycombe on 17th October with a “long range clearance” ..............which leads me to new signings since Christmas – not a lot; ex Daggers and Luton CB Luke Wilkinson (25) ProperSigned (why would you do that?), and Hull striker Greg Luer (21) is on loan to the end of the season – which in their case is this Saturday. Leading scorers are Chris Whelpdale with 9, and two players – including defender Fraser Franks – with three each.

Speaking of Fraser Franks, he’s one of three up against Tariqe Fosu for SkyBet Player of the Month for April, along with Barnet’s John Akinde and Wimbledon’s Lyle (as in “Tate and Lyle”) Taylor; Coley’s up again for Manager of the Month against Neal Ardley (Wombles) Shaun Derry (Cambridge) and Paul Cook (erm); and Tariqe is also on the short list for PFA Fans Player of the Month as well ...........well done guys!

So there we are; another 46 loads of drivel (that probably nobody reads anyway), making 276 so far (me and The Boss (Mr Chimer) have been doing this now for six seasons – seems longer, somehow ....) ............Thanks again to all those who play the PL – you’re more like family than passing strangers now ........ Thanks for the laughs ....... Thanks for supporting Stanley ............. Just ... “Thank You”, really; it’s times like this that make supporting a little “underdog” team worthwhile; last time any of the sides I watched over the years won anything was the 63/64 (I think it was) Man U team – Best, Law, Charlton, but even if – heaven forbid – it doesn’t happen, it’s been a blast, and an unforgettable journey; so thank you, too, to every player who pulled on a Stanley shirt this season; the Manager and his RHM (right hand man); every member of the club staff, the new owner – thank you, Sir, and if I ever need a plastic box you’re the first guy I’ll ring! – and to every and anyone else who’s been part of this fantastic club and this memorable trip in any way whatever.

Deadline for entries is, as always, scheduled kick-off time, which – with the crowds – will probably be about half past four on Saturday 7th May; beware of white horses, by the way ....... I haven’t got a clue where I’m going to park (unless I come down the night before and kip in the car!), but I need to be there ........we ALL need to be there! ........ let’s make so much noise that we take the roof off the Coppice End .............what? ......... is it? ............. Heck, when did that happen?

Good luck to everyone! .............. Keep the Faith! .............. See you next season (if you want us back) ............ And thanks for playing!

Oh, and by the way; Stevenage’s current Manager is Darren Sarll - no, Sarll, not Snarll - and the Fulham loanee is Jesse Joronen!

Div3North is online now   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-05-2016, 22:01   #2
Senior Member+

Re: 2015/16 Prediction League; Game 46 v Stevenage FC (home)

And Cashy's prediction is a 3-1 win for Stanley!
Old 05-05-2016, 05:54   #4
Senior Member+

1-1 please,entered into reverse psychology predictions six months again and it seems to have worked !!!
Kiwi John likes this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:28   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
1-1 please,entered into reverse psychology predictions six months again and it seems to have worked !!!
Ditto 1-1
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:48   #6
Super Moderator

2-0 to the Stanley please.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:35   #7
God Member

go for 1-1 again because that's worked for wins for us in the last few weeks. will try anything.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:00   #8
Full Member+

Stanley 2-1 Satanage

Illustrations, Web & Graphic Design:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk

Accrington Stanley Section:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk/sections/accrington-stanley
Red-Osbornello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:12   #9
God Member

Nice early goal please and go on to beat the nasty Stevenage 3-0.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:48   #10

2-0 Stanley
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:51   #11

What's the appeal of a televised playoff final at Wembley when we've a full house at the Wham ? Expect the crowd noise to make Sfc feel like they're playing 13 men, never mind 12 ! Was going to have a 'tickle' at 1 - 1 this week, but sod that : 3 - 0 to Stanley please with many thanks to you and Mr Chimer for another excellent season's work. 'Course we want you back next term - you've earned this promotion to L1 - you two just get those contracts signed before the summer holidays.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:53   #12
God Member

I'm almost scared to predict anything!! Really looking forward to the game but at same time wishing it was over & done with ....... anyhow enough of that, I'll stick my neck out & go for a 2 nil win for the Stanley boys please (pretty please)....
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:18   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLostSon View Post
'Course we want you back next term - you've earned this promotion to L1 - you two just get those contracts signed before the summer holidays.
Dean Windass said not to .................
AccyMad likes this.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:18   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

A 4-2 stormer of a game to the Stanley please D3N.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:22   #15
Senior Member+

Entry 22 on the "Guess the Gate" thread for this game is a prediction by a gentleman from the Hull area, who has been on the forum since before me (!) called Jim Procter which reads

"4365 please and a 2-0 win"

For my part I'm prepared to treat that as a valid guess of "2-0 Stanley win" unless Chimer thinks otherwise ............

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..