Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-05-2016, 12:41   #1
Senior Member+

2015/16 Prediction League Shootout; Game 1 v Wimbledon (away)

AFC Wimbledon

V

Accrington Stanley

2015/16 Prediction League; Playoff Shootout 1 v Wombles (away)

I have this recurring nightmare (following the other recurring nightmare – where we drew 0-0 at home to Stevenage and Oxford and BrizzleRov both won, perish the thought!) ……… it involves our old mate You Fat Bastard flying horizontally through the air – all 55 stone of him – and planting a thumping header in the top left corner of our net with 15 seconds left on the clock ………. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

We’re back by public demand (well, Leylandii’s demand) for the run-in to our promotion to League One; this is a Sudden Death Shoot Out Competition – same rules, but with twiddly bits; for THIS GAME you’ll score a bonus point for each of Stanley’s goal scorers whom you correctly name in your post (so no default guesses will apply, then); if you think Billy Whizz will get two, and Shay McCartan the other three, include “Kee 2 McCartan 3”, or “Kee, Kee, McCartan, McCartan, McCartan” (or “Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub”) in your prediction ………….and if you think that’s daft, just wait and see what we’ve dreamed up for game 2, and the Wembley Final!

Head to head favours us, historically; W6 D2 L2 …in fact, though, our 6 wins came in the first 7 League meetings, and they only first beat us (2-1) at their place in season 2014/15. However, they followed that up by winning at ours on Tuesday 20th October 2015 (4-3, after we’d been ahead 2-0 and 3-1; our goals from Billy Whizz (2) and Sean McConville), and then holding us to a goalless return visit on what is officially to be renamed “Trevor Kettle Day” in parts of South-West London (5th March), when not only did Mr KitchenAppliance blow for half time when Kee’s goal-bound shot was en route in mid air into the net, but he also sent off GK Ross Etheridge for handball – albeit that it was, perhaps, a few hundred yards outside the area.

After the goalless draw, Manager of the Month Neal Ardley said;
  • "Credit to our boys. It's a good point. We didn't create bundles, we weren't brilliant by any stretch of the imagination
  • Media playback is not supported on this device
  • "Accrington are a very open, free-flowing team and they've carved a lot of teams open this season. "
This week’s starter for 10, then; AFC Wimbledon’s mascot is Haydon the Womble (named after the local railway station, it seems) ……. But who is (or was) Wandle the Womble?

All the playoff sides have hit form around the right time, and Cairngorm the MacWomble the Terrible (oh yes there is!) and his side are no exception; their home record over the season is W11 D4 L9; their last 16 show 8 wins, 3 draws and 5 losses, and their last 8 have resulted in 6 wins, one draw (0-0 at …… you couldn’t invent this! …Stevenage) and a single loss (0-1 v Pompey) ………. Wimbledon, in those 8 games, have score two goals three times (all away from home), one goal three times (all at home) and no goals twice (see “lost to Pompey and drew at Stevenage” above) ………. To put that another way, in their last six games – if they’ve scored, they’ve won, which is a statistic to remember.

In the Cups, they succeeded in reaching Round One each time, but never Round Two; Carling – lost 1-0 at Cardiff; PaintyThingy – lost 3-2 at home to Plymouth; FA Cup – lost 2-1 at home to Forest Green – a result that they may well have the chance to repeat next season, Deo Volente, if Forest Green beat Grimsby on Sunday ………… and did you all see that AFC Fylde are in the Conference North Playoff Final the day before, against North Ferriby?) Total goals then are 64 in the League and 3 in the Cups ……….leading scorers for the Common-dwellers are Lyle Taylor with 20, Azeez with 7 and my mate YFB with 6, all of whom clearly need marking ………….or handcuffing …..or having leg-irons applied in the centre circle …………because, based on the last 8 games, If They Score, They Win!

Over the season their record was P46 W21 D12 L13 GF64 GA50 for 75 points and, as we know, 7th place; we won three more than them, drew one more, and lost four fewer; we scored 10 goals more than them, and conceded two fewer …….all of that said, Neal Ardley-Goodenough is apparently “relaxed”;
  • "I'm trying to take the attitude 'what will be, will be’. I’m relaxed but at the same time focussed. If we don't put in a high-level performance, and maybe get a slice of luck along the way, then we’re not going to achieve our dreams. You want to get as much as you can, and as good as a performance as we can, out of the first game. You can't pre-empt the second leg."
“Slice of luck”? What about TK’sJack Taylor” moment – that’s a slice of luck big enough to feed the whole of Wimbledon on!
Deadline for Shoot-Out entries is scheduled kick-off time, which is 7.30pm on Saturday 14th May; nothing you may score will alter your final position in Chimer’s League Table of Shame (well, it is in my case!) …..this one’s just for fun – unlike the bloody game!

Good luck to everyone! …………… Keep the Faith! ………… And thanks for playing!

Oh – and Wandle the Womble (named after the River Wandle) was the Old Original Wimbledon’s mascot (2000 – 2003), before they morphed into Milton Keynes Dons

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-05-2016, 12:46   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: 2015/16 Prediction League Shootout; Game 1 v Wimbledon (away)

1-0 Stanley will do fer starters.
Old 13-05-2016, 13:21   #3
Full Member+

Wombles 2 - 1 Stanley
McCartan(1) to score for Stanley.

That the correct format for this game D3N?

Illustrations, Web & Graphic Design:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk

Accrington Stanley Section:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk/sections/accrington-stanley
Red-Osbornello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 13:41   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Nah incorrect, were gonna beat em.
Red-Osbornello likes this.
Old 13-05-2016, 13:43   #5
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Nah incorrect, were gonna beat em.
I'd gladly be wrong!

I just meant the goalscorer part, you little...

Illustrations, Web & Graphic Design:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk

Accrington Stanley Section:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk/sections/accrington-stanley
Red-Osbornello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 13:50   #6
God Member

2 - 1 to Stanley, Tariq & Seamus Conneely our scorers - our friend Akinfenwa for them & Finland to win Eurovision
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 13:56   #7
Super Moderator

1-0 to the Stanley. Mingy to score.
Old 13-05-2016, 14:06   #8
Senior Member+

Wombles 1 Stanley 3 please
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 14:24   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Osbornello View Post
Wombles 2 - 1 Stanley
McCartan(1) to score for Stanley.

That the correct format for this game D3N?
It is for this game; further options as well for games 2 & 3

To avoid any doubt, you don't HAVE to guess the scorers, but if you don't - and we score - you'll lose the chance of any bonus points
Old 13-05-2016, 14:26   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
..... & Finland to win Eurovision
No bonus points for that!

Yellow card for being facetious!!!!!!!

(But very funny!)

Old 13-05-2016, 14:41   #11

Wimbledon 0 Stanley 1 scorer Josh Windass
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 15:22   #12
Senior Member+

Stanley 1 Wombles 0 - Tariq to score the winner for us.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 16:21   #13
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

pay back time for the Red men it's Gona be wombles 0 v 4 Accrington Stanley for me 😀 josh 2 Kee 1 n piero 1. Please for me
Old 13-05-2016, 21:11   #15
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

3-1 to the Stanley & I don't care who scores. please D3N

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..