Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2017, 17:15   #1
Senior Member+

2017/18 Prediction League; Game 14 v Stevenage FC (away)

SteveandAnge FC

V

Accrington Stanley

2017/18 Prediction League; Game 14 v Stevenage (away)

Now then ....................here’s a tarradiddle! Is it a good thing to be playing a side that’s just been mauled to death on the road – “Stevenage Roadkill” - or is it a bad thing? Luton 7 Stevenage 1, to follow Yeovil 2 Luton 8 ................makes last week’s 0-2 look quite good!

Current form sides are Luton and Wycombe, each having dropped just one point in their last 5 games; next are Newport (3 dropped), and then Notts County, us, Coventry and Cheltenham (dropped 4) .............1-7 knackers your GD too; Stevenage’s is now zero – 2nd worst in the top half after Grimsby’s -3, and their 20 goals conceded is better only than the Vegans (31), Chesterfield (who’ve lost their last 6 in a row, only won once, and are on 27 conceded) and Yeovil (26), and level with Port Vale and Crewe.

And I have to say I’ve never seen a table that looks like the current one; 3rd placed Luton are on 27 points, and then Stanley (4th) are on 26, Wycombe (5th) are on 25, Newport (6th) on 24 ............ and it carries on like that – each team one point worse off than the side directly above them – right down to 13th-placed Cheltenham on 17 points; eleven sides, all one point above and/or below the sides next to them ............ amazing!

Their history is one of multiple Phoenix rising from multiple Ashes; 1894 saw a club called Stevenage Town (twice) and Stevenage FC (twice); that club folded in 1968, and were replaced by Stevenage Athletic, who lasted until 1976, when bankruptcy hit; in 1976 Stevenage Borough replaced them, and held on to the “Borough” until – in 2010 – they finally got into the League, winning the Conference with a 2-0 victory at Kidderminster and eventually topping the table by 11 points; on League position alone, they should have gone up in 1995/96, but their facilities saw them refused entry to the League, thus reprieving Torquay (who might need reprieving again at the end of the season, since they’re plumb last in the Bananarama with 1 win (4-0 against Maidenhead in game 14) and 4 draws from their 15 games (only Guiseley have won as few as them) as well as having departed the FA Cup in the 4th Qualifying Round, 1-0 at Aldershot!)

Famous (but not overly successful) Managers include Teddy Sheringham (7 wins from 33), and also former England manager - one match only (which they lost 0-1 to Italy) - Peter Taylor (13 from 32); infamous Managers include that nice Mr Westley (three times); famous players ........................ are few and far between!

They finished last season in 10th (we had the pleasure, you’ll remember, of inflicting the defeat that killed off their chances of getting into the playoffs (3-0 at Broadhall in the last game of the season, to avenge 0-1 at home in mid-November); in fact, they lost four and drew two of their last six – six games out they were 4th on 65 points and five above (8th placed) Blackpool - but it was still nice for us to screw down the last nail!

Eight players left in the close season (7 released, one on a free); GK Jamie Jones (Orient, PNE) went to Wigan, defenders Dean Wells went to Boreham Wood, Nathan Kerr went to Glentoran, South African Kogosi Ntlhe (once of the Posh) went to Rochdale, and Andrew Fox went down the Dole; CMF Charlie Lee (Posh and Gillingham – who dispensed with Manager Peter Taylor (see “One Win England Manager” above) this week) joined Leyton Orient (currently 17th in the Bananarama, and having got a draw at the Daggers on Saturday in the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round), fellow CMF Michael Tonge joined Port Vale, and striker Jake Hyde-United (Dundee, Barnet and York) went to Maidenhead (well, someone has to) ................ and striker Rowan Liburd has gone on loan to Hemel Hempstead Town, and Blair Turbot - sorry, Turgott – who they’d only just signed from Bromley - to Boreham Wood.

They brought in replacements, of course, paying money to Brentford for CM James Ferry and to Swansea for striker Alex Samuel............. two more came in from non-League, LB Joe Martin arrived from Millwall and CB Terence Vancooten from Reading, and MFs Jonathan Smith (Forest Green Veg, York and Swindon) from Luton, Chris Whelpdale – again, Posh and Gillingham in his past - from the Wombles, and Harry Beautyman from the Cobblers completed the pack .........

Currently they sit 9th on 21 points, with 6 wins, 3 draws and four defeats; they drew their first two, then won three, then they didn’t win for three, then they won 3, and they’ve just lost their last two – they lost 0-1 at Crewe last time out before the Great Humiliation At Luton .................... Their leading scorer is Danny Newton with 6 – the same as SpecialK and one behind Billy Whizz ...................

Deadline for entries is, as always, scheduled kick-off time, which is 7.45pm on Tuesday 17th October – by which time we’ll know our FA Cup First Round Proper Opponents (that’s “First Round Proper”, not “Proper Opponents”, by the way) ....... My guess is that we’ll get Bananaskin United. Away. In the rain

Anyway; we’ve won 8 of 13, Stevenage have won 6; we’re five points and five places to the good, we’ve scored two more and conceded five fewer .............I’d say that’s a guaranteed loser, wouldn’t you? OF COURSE NOT! On Stanley On!

Good luck to everyone! ............ Keep the Faith! ........... And thanks for playing!

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-10-2017, 17:25   #2
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: 2017/18 Prediction League; Game 14 v Stevenage FC (away)

3-1 to the Stanley please D3N.
Old 15-10-2017, 17:43   #3
God Member

As much as I would love us to replicate Luton's score against them, I'm wary of them using that demolition (sorry, defeat) as an incentive but hopefully they won't have had time to get over it by Tuesday which will result in a win for our boys!
3 - 1 to Stanley please
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 18:04   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

2-1 Stanley long as we bear yeovil in mind.
Old 15-10-2017, 23:51   #5
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Stevenage 1 -2 Accrington Stanley Please for me
Old 16-10-2017, 11:51   #7

1. 0 win for Stanley please
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 12:56   #8
Senior Member+

Sorry to do this, but Satanage 2-1 Stanley for me please. I fear another Yeovil coming on, hope I am wrong though.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 13:44   #9
Senior Member+

1-0 Stanley, please
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 14:31   #10
Senior Member+

Stevenage 1 Stanley 2 please D3N.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 15:50   #11

Stevenage 2 Stanley 2 please
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 15:53   #12
Super Moderator

4-2 to the Stanley please.
Old 16-10-2017, 15:55   #13
Senior Member+

Steve 1 - 2 Stanley
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 21:41   #14
Full Member+

Stanley to win this one 3-0
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 22:02   #15

Despite their damn good thrashing, these blighters are our bogey team.
An optimistic 1-1 draw.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..