Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2017, 22:26   #1
Senior Member+

2017/18 Prediction League; Game 19 v Wycombe Wanderers (home)

Accrington Stanley

V

Wycombe Wanderers FC

2017/18 Prediction League; Game 19 v Wycombe (home)

Tell you what .................. I bet no-one gets this week’s starter for ten without cheating! Over the last five games in League Two, only one club has taken 13 points ........... four wins, one draw; and that team is ............? I’ll tell you for nothing – it isn’t us, Notts County or Luton; all three of those sides have taken eight points – W2 D2 L1; Portly Vale have taken 10 points, and Colchester 11; Mansfield, Carlisle and Colchester haven’t lost in five or more ............... The form side is actually Vegan Greenpeace United! Four wins, one draw ............. Saturday, 1-2 down at home to Crewe with 82 gone – then an equaliser on 83 (Doidge), and a 92nd minute winner from Iacovitti in a “rain-soaked and ill-tempered clash”

Dunce’s Caps awarded this week to Barnet (2 points from 15), Crewe (3 points, having lost their last four in a row), Crawley 3 points - and it got a bit tasty around Harry Kewley and some fans on Saturday, apparently, as well; his account of it was;

"While I did approach a disgruntled fan at full-time, it was merely to hear his concerns," he said in a statement on the League Two club's website. (“Hear his concerns”? Oh please .....)

"At no time did anyone need to hold me back," added the 39-year-old, who played for Leeds and Liverpool.

....... Yeovil and Stevenage four each, Cheltenham, Grimsby and Morecambe five each. A point a game, in the Old Days, used to get you relegated ........ we’ll see.

Piggin’ Luton at it again, did you notice; 0-7 put a dent in Cambridge’s GD (as it did with Yeovil and Stevenage), but I’ll say it again – take out 8-2, 7-1 and 7-0 and they’ve scored 21 in 15 games, which is “average” at best ..... Although Olly Lee’s 70-yarder (“from a different postcode” is the claim) was a bit good ............ He was nearly in trouble, mind; Manager Nathan Jones told the media,

“"We work very, very hard on our counter-attacking and our structure and he should've played it to Danny Hylton, because Hylton made a great run and he should've played it to him," he told BBC Three Counties Radio.

"Hylton wasn't happy and initially I wasn't until I saw the ball sailing over the keeper”

No pleasing some folk, is there?

Four left in the close season – RW Garry Thompson, who went back to Morecambe 9 years on, after spells at The Iron, Bratfud and Notts County; CB Arron Pierre went to the Cobblers, and two LMFs – Myles Weston and Sam Wood – went to Ebbsfleet and Eastleigh respectively; at the end of October DMF Danny Rowe joined York (currently 6th in the Bananarama North – which is headed up by Salford City on 47 points, 7 ahead of second placed Harrogate Town, and 20 ahead of Chorley, just outside the play-offs in 8th). By the way, again, did anyone see that the leading scorer in the Bananarama Premiership is now AFC Fylde’s Danny Rowe - not the same Danny Rowe, I can assure you - with 10 – ahead of some “names” of the lower Leagues – Ryan Bird, Bruno Andrade, Ben Williamson, Danny Kedwell and Zavon Hines .............and did you see Andy Mangan has joined AFC Flyde (as the BBC keep saying)

They only ProperSigned four; CB Adam El-Abd from Shrewsbury, Nathan Tyson (who must be 60 if he’s a day) from Kilmarnock, Craig Mackerel-Stiff from Luton (ditto) and DR Congo GK Yves Ma-Kalambay .......... Mackerel-Stiff managed a hat-trick in eleven minutes in the Chairboys’ 4-0 smacking of Harry “I approached a disgruntled fan to hear his views” Kewell’s Crawley on Saturday, and then – the rumours say – went for a long lie down in a darkened room

They do, of course, have another striker, do Wycombe ...............

That was their first win in six, by the way ..... but three points from five games (D3 L2) only took them from 5th to 7th .......their records are identical home and away – W4 D3 L2, for a season-long P18 W8 D6 L4 GF36 (2 a game) GA27 (1.5 a game) and 30 points, which sees them 6th; only six sides have let more in, but only Luton (“average”) have scored more ..... In the FA Cup they went to Solihull (nearly got lost looking for the non-existent Moors!) where they won 2-0, giving them the Flying Leatherheads in Round Two (I don’t know, these jammy teams that draw non-League opposition in the Cups!); they lasted one game in the EFL Cup (0-2 v Fulham at GerryAdams Park), and they’re plumb bottom of the EFLTroffy League they’re in – eliminated after two games (1-5 v BrizzleRov, also at home, and 0-1 at Swindon, where Gareth Ainsworth was named as an unused sub – well, he wasn’t named as an unused sub, he was named as a sub but didn’t get on the pitch (Manager obviously didn’t fancy him) .......... GF3 GA8, with West Ham under 9s still to play in the Troffy

Their leading scorer is You Fat Bastard with 10 (plus 6 assists); that said, his “shots on target” percentage is only 40% (23 of 58); next is Mackerel (6), with QPR loanee Eberechi Eze on 4 and Joe Jacobson on 3 .............. Mike Tyson has 2, but has only played the equivalent of just over 5 games ........

Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, it’s suggested that Wycombe got their name from "The Wanderers”, who swept all before them in the late 19th Century; the club’s supposed origins were in a team called North Town Wanderers in 1884, they being a side of workers in the furniture trade (‘appen they made chairs, sithee?) .......... they elected to stay amateur, and were stalwarts of the Isthmian League from 1921 to 1974, but in 1993 they won the Conference, joining the EFL, and also won the FA Trophy, beating Runcorn (“The Linnets”) 4-1 ...........the following season the Runcorn stadium (Canal Street) nearly fell apart, it appears – a perimeter wall collapsed during a Cup game (v Hull), the roof blew off one stand and the main stand was destroyed by fire; the owners decided to change the name of the ground to “Lucky’s Stadium”, but it never caught on ..............

Famous ex managers include Martin O’Neill, Tony Adams, Lawrie Sanchez and Peter Taylor; ex players include Delroy Facey (whose career faltered when he got 2½ years for match fixing in 2015), Alan Bennett (who had a parallel career as a playwright – no he didn’t it wasn’t the same Alan Bennett), Gareth Ainsworth (who couldn’t even got on the pitch recently despite picking the team!), John Akinde (Ebbsfleet, Bristol City and lots of others), and Charlie Comyn-Platt (who must be, I’d guess, the son or grandson of someone I was at school with (not a common surname!) back in the year dot ..........

Last season we got a creditable half-Desmond at theirs (goal by League Two Player of the Year Sean McConville) and a creditable Desmond in the return leg (goals by Clare and Matty Pearson ................I think there should be a comma in that, looking at it again – otherwise it implies that we had a player called Clare Pearson, which we never ........ goals by Sean Clare, now of Gillingham, and Matty Pearson, now of Barnsley .........)

Deadline for entries is, as always, scheduled kick-off time, which is 7.45pm on Tuesday 21st November ...........four draws in our last four games in all competitions, two of them goalless, one lost on a shootout, and two League points from 6 ..............two goals in four, what’s more .......... think we’re due a revival? Et moi aussi!

Good luck to everyone! ........Keep the Faith! ............. And thanks for playing!

Div3North is online now   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-11-2017, 06:19   #3
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: 2017/18 Prediction League; Game 19 v Wycombe Wanderers (home)

3-1 to the Stanley please D3N.
Old 20-11-2017, 06:52   #4

1-0 to stanley please
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 09:47   #5
Super Moderator

4-1 to the Stanley please.
Old 20-11-2017, 09:48   #6

Stanley 1 Wycombe 2 please
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 11:27   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

2-1 stanley
Old 20-11-2017, 11:59   #8
Senior Member+

3-1 to Stanley please
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 14:51   #9
God Member

2 apiece each please
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 16:43   #10

Stanley 3 - Wycombe 2 please
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 17:05   #11

agree with what JC says about big Ade - has long been on my Stanley xmas list - so:
Stanley 1 Akinfenwa's eleven 2
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 17:16   #12
Senior Member+

stanley 0 1 wycombe
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 20:09   #13
Full Member+

Accrington Stanley 1-0 Wycombe Wanderers
accytom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 20:17   #14
God Member

Stanley 2-2 Wycombe.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 20:56   #15

2-3 wycombe
JIMSLAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..