Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2018, 23:18   #1
Senior Member+

2017/18 Prediction League; Game 29 v Port Vale FC (home)

Accrington Stanley

V

Port Vale FC

2017/18 Prediction League; Game 29 v Port Vale (home)

Port Vale – “The Valiants” (which sounds like a very naff Boy-Band) – came down the G P of O (Greasy Pole of Oblivion) at the end of last season in 21st place on 49 points, one point and 5 goals behind Gillingham and one point and 13 goals behind Bury (who appear to be sinking into Deep Slurry at the moment). Manager Michael Brown, appointed on Boxing Day 2016, was starting his first full season in the hot seat, and his stated aim was promotion back to League One; he had also registered himself as a player for 2017/18, to cover emergencies. It all started ok, with a 3-1 win at Crawley, but then they lost six in a row (five of them without scoring), were bottom of League Two, and Mr Brown was toast …………… albeit Brown toast! …..and was sacked as manager and released as a player on the same day, which is probably some sort of record …………

They’ve had a season of five halves, have Portly Vale; after 12 games they had 5 points (P12 W1 D2 (1-1 at Yeovil and at home to Vegan Greenpeace) and L9 (including 2-1 at home to us!); then they won three on the bounce, including 1-0 away at Exeter; then they had a spell where they won once (1-0 against Barnet), drew once (1-1 at Newport (isn’t it)) and lost three (3-1 at Lincoln, 3-0 at home to Swindon and 4-0 at home to Mansfield); then they went W4 D1 of 5, unbeaten through December (the wins including stuffing Luton 4-0 and beating Carlisle 2-1 away and Coventry 1-0 at home ); and they haven’t won in January, losing 1-0 at Notts Co and Vegan GP and drawing with Yeovil ………………. Hence, a season of five halves. Mind you. I suspect that 63% of folk wouldn’t agree with me, and the other 78% wouldn’t care either way ……. And 13 out of every 8 people I asked were of the same opinion, so they were!

The result of relegation is often that the employer decides they he/they “don’t know how they’re going to survive without you”, but that starting on 1st July they’re going to try. Twenty-one players left on 1st July (the foyer must have looked like the check-in desk at Ryanair), Brown left on 16th September, and three more moved in January – CB Gavin Gunning to the Vegans, RB Lawrie Wilson (ex Stevenage and Charlton) to Ebbsfleet and French-born CM Anthony de Freitas (after a meeting with new Manager Neil Aspin, who obviously didn’t fancy him, in a football-sort of way) to Le Dole (involving Le Signing On, every two weeks).

Among the July departures were Chris “Ooops I missed the penalty” Eagles, who went to Ross County (which is probably penance enough), Curacao CF Rigino Cicilia who joined Lithuanian side FK Sūduva Marijampolė (Marijampole is a place; in Lithuania), JJ Hooper (so good they named him twice) and (ex Allo Allo star) Sam Kelly both went to Grimsby, and other Movers and Shakers signed for clubs in Kosovo (“Trepca89”), Portugal (Clube Desportivo Cova da Piedade – that’s the club, not the player, who was Paulo Tevares) and Academico de Viseu (Kiko) who play in the LigaPro (Division Two to you and me); Ryan Taylor went to play with Teddy Sheringham at ATK (previously Atlético de Kolkata) in the Indian Super League; others went to more exotic places, like Halifax and Swindon ......

Thirteen and some loans joined up, including Tom Pope, Christian Montano (from BrizzleRov), Tyrone Barnett from Wimbledon Common, Lawrie Wilson from Bolton (see “joined Ebbsfleet in January” above), Graham Kelly (didn’t he used to be the Secretary of the PFA about 30 years ago (pre Gordon Taylor)?) – who they loaned to Bradford PA (no, not “Personal Assistant” – Park Avenue!) , Michael Tonge from Stevenage, David Worrall – ex WBA and the Stanley – from Millwall, Joe Davis (billiards world champion back in the 1930s, so he’s doing well to still be playing!) from Fleetwood (who – after the Leicester goal – will be practicing not leaving their trailing leg nearer their goal than the opposing player is, and thus putting him onside), and Dior Angus (someone's Mother had a sense of humour when they named him!) from Redditch ................ I had a friend once from Redditch; ten years, and I never understood a single word he said!

They left the EFL Cup after game 1 (they lost 4-1 at Leeds), topped their group in the EFLTroffy and then went out to Shrewsbury in Round Two, 2-1 at home, and put Oxford out of the FA Cup before Yeovil did the same to them, 3-2 aet in a replay after a half-Desmond at home (they’ve played Yeovil four times so far this season, drawn one each three times, and lost the other game) .............at this moment they’re 18th, with a record of P28 W9 D5 L14 GF30 GA36 and 32 points; they’re three points above Morecambe (so are most people!) and two below Grimsby, and FGR have taken four points off them............. they haven’t scored in nine League games out of 28 (one in three), and they’ve kept six clean sheets (including against Luton and Coventry)

Under the heading “You Couldn’t Make It Up If You Tried”, Barnet’s Manager Marvellous Mark McGhee (remember him being appointed – last November?) is now “Head of Technical” ..... Technical What, I’d like to know), and the new Head Coach (Manager) is .................. that nice Mr Westlife, once of PNE, several times of Stevenage, lately of Newport (isn’t it) and – back before the flood – Farnborough, which is where he gained much of his reputation ...... Barnet are wearing the dunce’s caps (lost their last five), so he’ll have to do a better job than he did in Wales, and quickly as well ...............

And by the way ............... does anyone know where Starboard Vale play their football?

Altogether they’ve managed 42 goals in 36 games in all competitions; leading scorers – no surprise, perhaps – are Tom Pope with 14 and Christian Montano with 5; they appear to have played five goalkeepers during the season (not all at the same time), Ryan Boot making 12 appearances, Kelle Roos 8, Sam Hornby 5, Rob Lainton 3 and Dimitar Evtimov 1; Joe Slinn didn’t get a game ............... Nothing like knowing your strongest team, is there? And talking about goal scorers, Billy Whizz is now on his own at the top of the League Two Leader Board with 16 ..............and only three sides have won their last three games in League Two – Crawley, Swindon, and Accie; back in third WITH a game in hand! Pinch me someone, I think I’ve died!

Deadline for entries is, as always, scheduled kick-off time, which is 3.00 pm on Saturday 20th January ............... unless it snows heavily and the Ref calls the game off ...........which would PROBABLY be a disgrace! Last time we met in the League was 2012/13 – the year they went up in 3rd spot to League One; we beat them 2-0 at home (goals from Podge from the spot, and James Gray on 93 mins), but we lost 3-0 away ................ Revenge time, then ..... and Consolidation ..................Consolidated Revenge, Lads; that’s the Slogan for the Day!

Good luck to everyone! ..................... Keep the Faith! ............ And thanks for playing!

mab and Exile on Spencer St like this.
Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-01-2018, 05:13   #2
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: 2017/18 Prediction League; Game 29 v Port Vale FC (home)

3-1 to the Sanley please D3N.
Old 18-01-2018, 06:15   #3
God Member

4 - 2 to Stanley please
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 06:31   #4
God Member

Stanley 3-0 Port Vale.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 08:03   #5
Super Moderator

5-1 to the Stanley please.
Old 18-01-2018, 10:04   #7
God Member

Talking Re: 2017/18 Prediction League; Game 29 v Port Vale FC (home)

I think there is a chap on here who has medication for this sort of thing......

Hence, a season of five halves. Mind you. I suspect that 63% of folk wouldn’t agree with me, and the other 78% wouldn’t care either way ……. And 13 out of every 8 people I asked were of the same opinion, so they were!

I am sure he will let you have some if symptoms persist

Div3North likes this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 10:38   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

2-1 stanley fer me.
Old 18-01-2018, 17:13   #9

Stanley 3 Port Vale 1
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 18:38   #10

a hard fought 1 - 1
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 19:43   #11
Senior Member+

Stanley 2 Vale 1 please D3N.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 22:58   #12
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Accrington Stanley 2 - 1 Port Vale Please for me
Old 19-01-2018, 04:58   #13
Senior Member+

Stanley 1 - 0 Vale
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 09:22   #14
Senior Member+

stanley 2 - 0 vale
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 13:40   #15
God Member

2-1 to stanley.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..