Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2018, 12:22   #1
Senior Member+

2017/18 Prediction League; Game 35 v Cambridge Utd (home)

Accrington Stanley
v
Cambridge Utd
2017/18 Prediction League; Game 35 v Cambridge (away)

Exeter and Carlisle both needed to re-arrange games following postponements, Exeter at Crewe and Carlisle at Barnet; they fixed them for tonight (20th Feb). A round trip from Exeter to Crewe is 428.8 miles, and likewise from Carlisle to the Peoples’ Republic of Barnet and back is 606.2 miles ………………. You have to ask, then, what idiot re-arranged those games for tonight, when Saturday’s upcoming games take Exeter to Grimsby (a round trip of 613.2 miles) and Carlisle to Yeovil (660), meaning that travelling Carlisle fans who attend both games will cover 1266.2 miles, and Exeter fans will cover 1042! Rikkidoodleous!

And I think last Saturday, as far as we were concerned, was a point won, not two points dropped

This week’s starter for ten, then …………… Billy Whizz has scored 19 goals so far this season in League Two (next in the list is You Fat Bastard with 15) ……….. (i) how many of Billy’s goals were from open play, and how many from penalties, and (ii) Billy had a sequence of six consecutive games, in the first three of which he scored penalties, and in the 4th, 5th and 6th of which he scored but NOT from the spot; True or False? And your tie-breaker is – how many of his (League) goals have come in the second half of matches?

You won’t be surprised to hear that they haven’t been prolific signers in the Transfer Window; in fact the only player they ProperSigned was striker Barry Corr, who they signed, technically, from themselves! Reason for that is that he was released at the end of last season but continued to train at the Abbey Stadium, was signed for part of January on non-contract terms, and has now signed until the end of the season; the website headline was “Barry Corr stays!” …………. Not very inspiring or original, but the exclamation mark is of importance ……………. They also brought in loan signings Adam Phillips, a CM from Norwich; striker Billy Waters from the Cobblers; and Mansfield CB George Taft, who I last saw playing in a load of 1940s Gangster movies, making his mobility open to question, since he's got to be 90 if he’s a day ………….. CB Josh Coulson went on loan to Leyton Orient until Jan 1st, and has now MutuallyConsented on a permanent move (7th Jan), and Irish RMF Emmanuel Ebuka Osadebe (no, seriously, he’s Irish) joined the Exiles until May

They don’t, happily, travel very well; away, their record is P17 W3 D5 L9 GF13 GA32 – the only away win since 12th September being last Tuesday’s 3-2 win at Chesterfield which came about courtesy of a Dunk goal (that’s his name, not his technique) on 95 mins; in addition, all three away wins have come at teams starting with “C” – 1-0 at Crawley in August and 1-0 at Crewe in September ……………….. they’re better at home, where it’s W9 D4 L3 GF21 GA12, but overall P33 W12 D9 L12 GF34 GA44 gives them 45 points and 14th place, behind Carlisle on GD. They went out of the FA Cup 2-0 at Newport, having marmalised Bananarama side Sutton Utd 1-0 in Round One, they missed the cut in the EFLTroffy with two defeats and a “losing penalty” draw, and they left the EFL Cup in Round One, 4-1 at BrizzleRov …………. In total, played 39, scored 37 and conceded 54 …………………… Leading scorers are striker Karl Anthony Uchechukwu Mubiru Ikpeazu (who they got from Watford in 2016 after he had eleventy-billion loans elsewhere) and fellow striker Jabo Ibhere (ex Colchester and Carlisle) with 5

Teacher’s Pets this week are Stanley and Wycombe with 13 points from 5, followed by Mansfield and Crawley with 12; Luton have 10, the same as 17th-placed Yeovil …………….. Pointy Hats With a “D” On Them currently worn by Grimsby (1 point out of a possible 15), Newport and Portly Vale (2 each), Morecambe and Chesterfield with 3, and Stevenage and Crewe with 4 ……… Morecambe are now 22nd, by the way, having been leapfrogged by Vegan Greenpeace (oh the shame!)

Deadline for entries is, as always, scheduled kick-off time, which is 3.00pm on Saturday 24th February (soon be Christmas!) ………….. Brad Halliday is a regular in the U’s team team, but Piero last took part (as an unused sub) in the 3-3 draw at Notts County on 23rd December, leading me to assume – since I can’t find out – that he may be injured; hope he’s ok if that is the case …………..But looking at it logically, we’ve got 17 points and 23 goals more than them and they don’t really travel very well; I know that we drew 0-0 at their place earlier in the season, and that last year we lost 2-1 chez eux (goal by William Rodney Whizz) in a match notable for two red cards and two missed penalties in FergieTime and that – after two DISGRACEFUL postponements of the return fixture - we did them 2-0 at Fortress Wham courtesy of goals by The McC Brothers (Conville and Cartan) ……………. AND I know they sacked their Manager Shaun Derry on 9th February and that they’ve taken seven points from the three games since then ……………. But I still think we’re favourites to bank three more points – because Come The Revolution (Luton, Newport et al) we’ll be glad we did; a bit like squirrels and their nuts, really!

And by the way; 12 of Billy’s goals have been from open play and 7 from penalties (he first scored from the spot in mid-October!), and Q2 is true (penalties against Crawley, Carlisle and Grimsby on 23rd, 26th and 30th of December, and goals against Chesterfield, Cheltenham and Portly V on 6th, 13th and 20th January) …………..oh, and it’s 8 scored in the first half and 11 in the second!

“Nice One Billy, Nice One Son ……..” ……. who? ………… Oh, Cyril! Sorry!

Good luck to everyone! ……….. Keep the Faith! ………….. And thanks for playing!

Last edited by Div3North; 20-02-2018 at 12:31.
Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-02-2018, 12:29   #2
Senior Member+

Re: 2017/18 Prediction League; Game 35 v Cambridge Utd (home)

Cashy's off on his hols, but left a prediction for a 3-0 Stanley win behind him

Happy Birthday Olly!
cashman likes this.
Old 20-02-2018, 12:29   #3
God Member

Just an update to Div3N's epistle, we caught up with Mr. Mingoia (Snr) at Crawley who told us Piero has a hip injury that may keep him out until season's end, after which he is out of contract !
Wynonie Harris and cashman like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 12:33   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thought it was summat like that, peirro aint been in side or on bench fer a few weeks now, hope the lad soon recovers.
Old 20-02-2018, 12:41   #5
God Member

Stanley 2 - Cambridge 0 (which going off D3's comparison will mean 3 nuts for the Reds)

P.s. If Piero's Dad's reading this please give him best wishes for a quick recovery, bless him
monkey hanger likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 14:00   #6
God Member

stanley 2 cambridge 1.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 15:31   #7

3-1 win for stanley please
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 16:05   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
peirro aint been in side or on bench fer a few weeks now
Since 23rd December, Cashy - read the thread opener! Source of all wisdom!
Old 20-02-2018, 16:17   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div3North View Post
Since 23rd December, Cashy - read the thread opener! Source of all wisdom!
Yeh had read that but had forgotten. but both of us were assuming injury?
Old 20-02-2018, 17:19   #10
God Member

Sadly miss this one in Spain but I won,t miss my prediction Stanley 2-0 Cambridge.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 18:53   #11
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

2-0 to the Stanley please D3N.
Old 20-02-2018, 21:01   #12
Full Member+

I do hope Piero is going to be OK. He may have to re sign for us. However I predict a 4-1 stanley win.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 21:21   #13

Another toughie. They've just won 3 on the trot.
Stanley 1 - Cambridge 0 please.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 00:52   #14
Super Moderator

3-1 to the Stanley please.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..