Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2019, 23:16   #31
Senior Member+

Re: 2018/19 Prediction League; Game 46 v Porsmouth FC (away)

"Good Onya Stiffy"

And with these words, Kiwi John conceded the Prediction League title, and his hopes of becoming the first double winner. Whether he has the protocols for addressing a distinguished member of the Upper House exactly correct may be in some doubt , but then protocols may not work upside down .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi John View Post
Think we could pinch this one, STANLEY 3-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Pompey 2 - Stanley 1 please.
Respect, meanwhile, to the noble Lord Stiffupperlip for not man-marking Kiwi out of the last game of the season despite being given an open invitation . His going (second) for the likely Pompey win left open the possibility that Kiwi's predicted Stanley win could snatch the crown away at the last moment . As it turned out, a point apiece preserved the 2 point lead and we have the ninth different winner of our compy thingy in our ninth season of running it.

Elsewhere in the table, the only maxi of the day saw Cashman elbow his way into the elite in 7th place, up from 11th on the day at the expense of Outback Ozzy's place at the top table. 3 points for a wrong-score draw saw AccyMad move up to 11th= (with Ozzy) from 15th, Revived Red from 16th to 13th, and Tommy McQueen and myself stay put in 19th and 22nd respectively. And Mab's single point was enough for him to move up from 7th to 5th, overhauling NigeB and Monkey Hangar, while Revived Red's single took him from 16th to 13th, passing TomD, Ossy Kid and Taypot.

The silly bit of fun average score league saw OAFCWOOB on top with an average of 4.00 , ahead of Smobile on 3.00 , having played 1 game each . Next were the untypeable LLR, averaging 2.67 over 3 games, and Accyborn, with 2.63 over a more respectable 8. StanleyJosh managed 2.46 over 13 late games, and Taypot 2.17 over 29, making two to watch for next season maybe . Then we get to our top two, with Lord S achieving 2.11 to Kiwi's 2.07, both over the full 46 games. Nobody else got over the 2 points per game hurdle.

And apart from Lord S and Kiwi, congratulations for staying the 46 game course with no absences go to Div3North (as you'd expect ), Nige B, Cashy, Leylandii, AccyMad, MikeA and AccyBeMe. 21 players in all have had a go more than 40 times - and this last week was probably the lowest entry , with only 23 participants.

So - roll on next season, still in League 1. Will we see highs to match the first 14 games , or lows to match November through January ? Probably both

On Stanley On!!

P.S. My finisher for 10 - who knows what the hell I'm going on about in the title I've given the final table (attached)
Attached Files
File Type: doc SPL 4 May 19.doc (89.0 KB, 19 views)
Kiwi John, mab, Div3North and 2 others like this.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:37   #32
God Member

I know
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:38   #33
God Member

10 points-does that mean I win with a late lunge?
Old 08-05-2019, 04:48   #34
God Member

...and don't ask me coz I'm not telling...
Old 08-05-2019, 14:21   #35

Ahem!!!
As winner of this years Prediction League, I feel it beholds me to express thanks to both D3N & Chimer for the sheer effort they put in every week to keep us all entertained.
From D3N's penetrating insights into the historic minutiae of our opponents, whimsical humour & mind boggling stats, to Chimer's eagerly awaited results show - always ready to deflate our pompous conceit that 'we know best' with his subtle jocularity.
By Jove, twas a close run thing! I confess that for the briefest of moments, I was tempted to match Kiwi's last prediction and thus ensure victory.
However, that would have been the action of an absolute bounder & a rotter. How could any Gentleman retain a stiff upper lip in such circumstances?
Nay, nay & thrice NAY!!!
I can assure my fellow competitors that my victory is down to nothing more than sheer luck! But would like to thank my children, wife, parents, grandparents & probably Simon Cowell, without whom this journey would not have been possible.
Already looking forward to next season and another chapter in the amazing story that is Accrington Stanley.
To quote Harold Macmillan; - 'You Stanley people have never had it so good!'
When you support the best team in the EFL - who can argue with that?
Outback Ozzy and Div3North like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 15:09   #36
Senior Member+

Well done, Your Lordship ....... And well done Kiwi as well!

Like the Champions' League - nail-biting to the very last prediction!
Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 15:18   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
"Good Onya Stiffy"

P.S. My finisher for 10 - who knows what the hell I'm going on about in the title I've given the final table (attached)
I know who Barkell is, but not what Big Day we spoiled
Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 20:27   #38
Senior Member+

As Mrs C and I arrived for the game, they were announcing Pompey's "Player of the Season" awards - voted on by members of their various supporters' clubs from many strange parts of the planet. There must have been a dozen at least, though if there was an Accrington one I missed it , and Matt Clarke won them all . Once it became obvious what was going on, each award was greeted with increasingly raucous enthusiasm from the away end (corner ) …. perhaps in the end he'd rather Pompey had won the match though .
Old 17-05-2019, 18:43   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Just back from hols cheers the both of of yez for another sterling effort to keep us amused best wishes cashy,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..