Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2020, 23:34   #1
Senior Member+

2020/21 Prediction League; Game 13 v Lincoln City (home)

Accrington Stanley

v

Lincoln City

2020/21 Prediction League; Game 13 v The Gargoyles (home)

This week’s Starter for Ten; what links Jeffrey Archer, Éamon de Valera, John George Haigh, Percy Toplis and Samuel Bamford?

You may remember that my main thesis for discussion during the Ipswich Town thread a few weeks back was the possible use of Latin chants, shouts and insults during games (to avoid the rival fans knowing what we were saying, and the stewards chucking us out for saying it)........... And I gave a number of suggestions and examples, you may also remember, dredged from the depths of my soul, and translated for me by Google Translate ....... You’ll surely remember “Tu caecum, Disceptator?” (“Are you blind, Ref?”), “In referendarius a bastardis” (“The referee’s a b*stard”) and “Supplicium!” (“Penalty!”), and many of you – well, one or two of you - may even have shouted them at your TV screen watching (or not watching) the game on “i Follow”, much to the consternation of your spouse, kids and dog

What I didn’t know then was that one of our number was, for 34 years, a Teacher of Latin to Children – a Pedagogue indeed – who kindly marked my homework for me after the game ............ (I got 0/10 and “See Me” in red in the margin) .... so I thought I’d better try again, or die in the attempt (“Cave idibus Martiis”). I am a linguist – I can get by auf Deutsch (and if you wondered about the exchange between me and DaveinGermany, he called me a show-off, and I told him that he started it!), I’m not bad in French “Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir?” (which got my face slapped – and he was a big bloke!), and “Defense de cracher!” (No Spitting) ........... I know a bit of Italian (“Basta!”), and I’m fluent in Rubbish .......... I always believed, after a holiday in Yugoslavia (who remembers Yugoslavia?) that I could say “Do not lean out of the window” in Croatian (“Vreme je za rocek”) – except that that apparently means “breakfast’s ready” ............... and I was a JFK fan from the day, in the German Capital, that he announced publically, “Ich bin ein Berliner”, which translates, as you may know, as “I am a doughnut” ....... whatever, Jack!

So; Lesson Two in our series “The Romans Said it Better”

1. “Huic opus est pila” (Handball!)
2. “Off plagam passuum a patria” (Offside by a country mile!)
3. “Bastardis mitte in lotus est an mane!" (Send the bastard for an early bath)
4. “Putant actum ...” (They think it’s all over ...”)
5. “Magnum puellae subucula” (Big girl’s blouse!)

Advance warning; there’ll be a test next week....And did you know that as well as Classical Latin there was a version known as “Sermo Vulgaris” – common speech, or Vulgar Latin .......... now if they’d taught THAT at school I’d have passed my ‘O’ level easy peasy.......... as it is, I hold “Latin ‘O’ level (failed)(twice)”

By 1150, Lincoln was among the wealthiest towns in England. The basis of the economy was cloth and wool, exported to Flanders; Lincoln weavers had set up a guild in 1130 to produce Lincoln Cloth, especially the fine dyed "scarlet" and "green", whose reputation was later enhanced by the legendary Robin Hood wearing ‘woollens of Lincoln green’ (“woollens”? what in the name of Hades are “woollens”? – apart from being the only English word that has three double letters in it, one after the other – double ‘U’, double ‘O’, double ‘L’) ....and Things you Don’t Know about Lincoln include the fact that the town was hit by a typhoid epidemic between November 1904 and August 1905, caused by polluted drinking water from Hartsholme Lake and the River Witham; over 1,000 people contracted the disease and 113 died ....... including the man responsible for the city's water supply, Liam Kirk of Baker Crescent (Mwahahahaha!) Apparently they chlorinated the water supply to purify it, which killed the bacteria but made their tea taste like a very hot swimming pool (“Two sugars, please”).....

And did you know as well also that the first ever tanks were invented, designed and built in Lincoln by William Foster & Co? (ni moi non plus) ........... Lincoln has many sports teams and facilities, it seems, not least of which are the Lincoln Moorlands Railway FC and the Lincolnshire Bombers Roller Girls, and since 1956 the city has hosted the “Lincoln Grand Prix” one-day cycle race, which uses a city-centre finishing circuit incorporating the challenging 1-in-6 cobbled ascent of Michaelgate (Ouch!) It’s also claimed that two short-lived greyhound racing tracks were opened there in the 1930s......bit mean that – making short-lived greyhounds run round like that ............. Where’s the PDSA when you want them?

Football in the city of Lincoln had been prominent since the 1860s, although not strictly connected to the modern day club. After the disbanding of Lincoln Rovers (formerly Lincoln Recreation) in 1884, Lincoln City FC was formed , and their first-ever game was an emphatic 9–1 victory over local rivals Sleaford on 4 October 1884; they won the Midland League in 1889–90, their first full season playing league football, and moved on to become one of the 12 founder members of the Football League Second Division in 1892, remaining there until they failed re-election in 1908. Their first game in the Football League was a 4–2 away defeat to Sheffield United on 3 September 1892, and they moved from the John O'Gaunts Ground to Sincil Bank in 1895, and still play there today.

Other notable Founder Members of Div 2, by the way, included Small Heath, Quite Big Heath, Flippin’ Enormous Heath, Darwen, Grimsby, Ardwick, Burton Swifts, Northwich Victoria, Bootle, Burslem, and Walsall Swifts; in 1921 (the year me Mam was born) they were founder members of the Football League Third Division North (she didn’t remember it, but they were), and they were promoted as champions in 1931–32, but GreasyPoled two seasons later. Over the next few centuries they were up and down like a whore’s drawers, most recently departing the League in 2010/11 and coming back up under the Cowley Brothers (Morris and Austin) in 2017 ........... and I did say, lads, that leaving for the Fleshpots of Huddersfield – what a revolting thought – was a bad career move ..... eeeh – the Fleshpots of ‘uddersfield

“I's a broken-hearted keel-man what’s ower heed in love
Wi’ a young lass from Gateshead, and I call her my dove
Her name is Cushie Butterfield, and she sells yellow clay
And her cousin's a muck-man, and they call him Tom Grey

She's a big lass and a bonnie lass
And she likes her beer
And they call her Cushie Butterfield
And I wish she was here”

They ended last season in 16th place, one place above us, with 42 points from 35 games ...... they did us 2-0 in the season opener, but we won a seven-goal thriller at the Wham in the reverse fixture, coming from 3-2 down with goals on 78 from Conneely and 90+5 from Scouse Sam Finley (who isn’t getting a load of airtime at Fleetwoof as yet) .......... 13 left in the summer, with a further six departing between August and October .......... Michael Bostwick and Neal Eardley went to Burton (or for a Burton, maybe); CMF Jack Payne went to Swindon, and Irish CB Cian Bolger joined the Cobblers; they got rid of four GKs – one to Lincoln United (saves moving house) and one to Pickering Town (known as The Pikes, currently members of the snappily-named Northern Premier League Division One North West.
They traded for nine, who came from far and wide; GK Ethan Ross (Colchester); Dutch CB Lewis Montsma (FC Dordrecht, managed by Harry van den Ham) – which makes our Lewis a Schapenkoppen (Sheep’s Head), the nicknockname of Dordrecht; Scottish CB James Jones joined from Crewe, CMF Conor McGrandles (I’m sure he does!) from the MK Donuts (from whom they also got Welsh CB Joe Walsh); RW Theo Archibald was free from Macclesfield (everything was free from Macclesfield, pretty much); they got a Cefn Druid (as you do); and they actually paid good money (£undisclosed) for CB Adam Jackson from Hibs

Currently they’re fifth, off a record of P11 W7 D1 (Fleetwood 0-0) L3 (Brizzle 2-1 at home, Donnie 1-0 away and Pompey 3-1 at home) GF15 GA9 and 22 points, behind Charlton on GD and ahead of Pompey by a point ....... they won their first four, drew one and lost one, won three more, and have lost their last two .... W4 L2 at home (9 scored); W3 D1 L1 away (6 scored) .......... Leading scorers are Jorge Grant with 8, Lewis SheepsHead with 6, and Anthony (Dana) Scully with 4 (not sure how many Fox Mulder’s got) ....... they’re at Plymouth in the Cup on 28th, having done Vegan Greenpeace 6-2, they beat Crewe and Bratfud (2-1 and 5-0) away in the EFL Cup before Liverpool stuffed them 7-2, and they’re into Round 2 in the Troffy ..........

Their best ever place in the pyramid was 5th in the Second Division back in 1901/02, and you’ll remember their exploits in 2016/17 when, as a non-League side, they made the Quarter Finals of the FA Cup ................ back in 1951 they did Crewe 11-1 in the League, and in the cup (1895, I have to concede) they went to Peterborough and won 13-0 .......... most appearances were by Grant Brown (469), record goalscorer is Andy Graver with 143 between 1950 and 1961, and Allan Hall scored 45 goals in the 1931/32 season .............

Deadline for entries is scheduled kick-off time, which is 3.00 pip emma on Saturday 21st November ............ Torquay top the Bananarama, with Chesterfield and Yeovil both in the brown and niffy at the foot of the table; Chorley picked up a win on the road in NatLgeNth but are still in the bottom two, and Fylde lost at Curzon Ashton but are still 2nd ....... and the rumour was that the Highland League and our mates at Fort William were due to start their season about now, but I’ll believe it when I see it ........... a bit like President Fart graciously conceding defeat ............

And your Starter for Ten; Jeffrey Archer- ex MP and wealthy author, convicted perjurer, would-be captain of Bristol Rovers and Peer of the Realm - who sued the Daily Star for alleging that he’d consorted with a prostitute (which patently he had); Éamon de Valera (1882 – 1975) was a politician and statesman and a radical revolutionary figure for Ireland’s independence from the UK, who was imprisoned but managed to escape to freedom in 1919; John George Haigh murdered six people and dissolved their bodies in drums of acid; Percy Toplis was a thorough bad lot (known as ‘The Monocle’d Mutineer’) shot dead by the Police in an ambush just after WWI; and Samuel Bamford, a Lancashire-born radical and writer and a witness to the Peterloo Massacre, was charged by the authorities with inciting a riot (which he didn’t) and got twelve months .......... and they all – at various times – served sentences in HM Prison Lincoln (from where de Valera effected his escape!)

History all around us, eh?

Good luck to everyone! ………….. Stay safe and keep well! ………… And thanks for playing!

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-11-2020, 09:09   #2
God Member

Re: 2020/21 Prediction League; Game 13 v Lincoln City (home)

thought your deadly 5 were a list in order of who you would not want round your cancelled christmas dinner table. back to reality i., going for a 1 all draw.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 09:33   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
thought your deadly 5 were a list in order of who you would not want round your cancelled christmas dinner table
Surely, Sam Bamford doesn't fit into that category!

3-1 to Stanley, please
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 09:41   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

2-1 stanley fer me.
Old 20-11-2020, 10:25   #5
God Member

4 - 2 to Stanley please
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 10:28   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div3North View Post
And your Starter for Ten; Jeffrey Archer- ex MP and wealthy author, convicted perjurer, would-be captain of Bristol Rovers and Peer of the Realm - who sued the Daily Star for alleging that he’d consorted with a prostitute (which patently he had);
I'm sure you meant to say ....

"(which patently he had - allegedly)"

Your friendly solicitor.

P.S. Stanley 2 Lincoln 0
Old 20-11-2020, 10:59   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
I'm sure you meant to say ....

"(which patently he had - allegedly)"

Your friendly solicitor.

P.S. Stanley 2 Lincoln 0
He sued because the papers said he had, and he won, aided by his “elegant and fragrant” wife Mary (quote is from Mr Justice Caulfield, the trial judge). He was Imprisoned years later for perjury (lying under oath) and Perverting the course of justice

Don’t think that combination of facts necessitate the word “allegedly” any longer

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 11:33   #8
God Member

Stanley 2-0 Lincoln
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 14:54   #9
Full Member+

Stanley to win 2-1 please
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 14:54   #10
Senior Member+

2-1 Stanley for me please

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 16:36   #11

Stanley 2 Lincoln 2
Taypot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 22:37   #13

One - One v Lincoln
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 05:53   #14
Senior Member+

Stanley 2-0 Lincoln
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 06:42   #15
God Member

1-1. Cheers ears.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..