Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-04-2021, 11:59   #1
Senior Member+

2020/21 Prediction League; Game 22 v Portsmouth FC (home)

Accrington Stanley

v

Portsmouth FC

2020/21 Prediction League Game 22; v Pompous United

Starter for Ten; apart from us, how many teams have scored three goals in a League game against the Black Moggies this season, and who are they?

Does anyone know how much the fine is for a Manager saying things about the Referee (after one of his players has been sent off for serious foul play)? I'm asking on behalf of David Moyes, who claimed that the decision to send off West Ham defender Fabian Balbuena against Chelsea was made by someone "who's never played the game". So far so good, but he didn't stop there

The Paraguay defender apparently caught Ben Chilwell's leg with his follow through while making a clearance; the Ref (Chris Kavanagh) was asked by the Video Animated Rubbish people to watch a replay of the incident on the pitch-side monitor before Balbuena was sent off for serious foul play. Moyes added,

"For me the big thing is it's a really rank, rotten decision and it shouldn't be given. Where's he meant to put his foot?" (he really should have told us what he thought, I think)

Former Arsenal and England defender Lee Dixon said: "If that's a red then the game has gone. Where is Balbuena suppose to put his leg? In his pocket? Levitate? Somebody please tell me" . ... Dixon's former Arsenal team-mate Ian Wright added: "Sent off for kicking the ball" followed by 14 laughing emojis, and travelling crisp salesman Gary Lineker said on Match of the Day the incident "probably wasn't even a foul". He added: "How can VAR and the referee get it so wrong? It's just baffling. Utterly baffling."

Answers on a postcard to God, c/o Upton Park ........

And in the "Well I'm blowed - I never knew that" section of the thread comes this; Portsmouth is one of only five EFL clubs to have been champions of all four tiers of the professional football pyramid, (after Wolves, Burnley, PNE and the Blades); they're also one of only two clubs to have been champions of five professional divisions (including the former regional Div3South title in the 1923–24 season.) Wolves also share this distinction, having won all four divisions plus a Div3North title, coincidentally in the same 1923–24 season as Portsmouth won the respective South division.

Pompey - whose fans, I discover, are referred to by Southampton fans as "Skates" (which has many offered explanations, some more vulgar and unbelievable than others) - finished 2019/20 Covid Season in 5th place (the meat in an Oxford and Fleetwood sandwich, all having a PPG of 1.71) ..... they met the self-same Oxford over the two legs of the semi-final, drawing 1-1 twice (aet in game 2), and losing the penalty shootout 5-4 ...... in the close season they ProperSigned five - CB Sean Raggett from Norwich, LW Michael Jacobs from Wigan, striker Jordy Hiwula from Coventry and LB Charlie Daniels from the Shrews for a combined fee of nil, and RB Callum Johnson from us for Łundisclosed (CJ has managed one goal so far for Pompey, which was in their 2-1 defeat by Bristol City in the FA Cup 3rd Round)

At Christmas (well, just before actually) Pompey went to Hull and won, which put them top of the Chrissymas Tree ......... of their then 19 games they'd won 10, drawn 5 and lost 4 (Wigan, Donnie and Charlton at home and Blackpool away) ........... they actually won their next two too (see what I did there?) but managed to drop to 3rd, probably because they didn't play for a month ...... and broadly, since then - in the immortal words of pop duo Simon and Gunfarkle - they're been slip-sliding away .......... of their next 22 they've won 8, drawn 3 and lost eleven; before they relegated Joey Bad-Boy on Saturday they hadn't won in four, and only had one point and two goals to show for 6 hours sweat and toil

You'll know fine well of course that we haven't met yet this season (but we put that right in just under a fortnight on Groundhog Day), but we did play them once last season, in December 2019, and we absolutely stuffed them, 4-1 (OG, one from The Wanderer and two for the Bishop of Wham) ...... since our first-ever meeting in 2013, we've played them 8 times in League 2 and three times in League One; in League Deux the record is W2 D3 L3, but in League Un it's W1 D2 - so even-Stevens in the League (plus a 2015 defeat in the FA Cup)

Their home form is W9 D5 L8 GF29 GA23, and away - saves me putting it in the next thread if I tell you now - is W11 D3 L7 GF30 GA23, giving them a combined harvester of P43 W20 D8 L15 GF59 GA46 for 68 points (same as Oxford and Blackpool but with the worst GD, being +16 plays +16 plays +13, although Oxford (5th) have scored more than Blackpool (6th) ........ and Blackpool have 4 to play, Pompey have 3, and Oxfud have 2, so Pompey can still leap into the playoff spots from their current 7th place .....

Deadline for entries is as always scheduled kick-off time, which is 7.00pm on Groundhog Day (I'm planning to put this thread opener up again to start the second game too, and see if anyone notices!) or, if you prefer, 7.00pm on Tuesday 27th April .... out of interest I did an internet search to see if 27th April was a Saint's Day (most days are!) and met this;

"27 Apr — Saint of the Day for Monday, April 27th · St. Zita · Buy One Get One 50%"

... something of a new marketing ploy by the Catholic Church, I thought, but there ......... St Zita, FYI, is the Patron Saint of Maids and Domestic Servants, and also the one your pray to if you've lost your keys ...... apparently! Her (mummified) body - she died in 1272 - is currently on display for public veneration in the Basilica di San Frediano in Lucca.

And on a "need to know" basis I can tell you that St Luigi - (Luigi Scrosoppi - 1804-84) is the patron saint of footballers. ... he encouraged young people to take part in sports, especially soccer, it is claimed, and he's often depicted in art carrying a soccer ball. The connection of soccer and the church is alive today, too: Pope Francis, for instance, is an ardent fan - but I've no idea who he supports! Bet it's not Schalke 04 ...... or Chelski!

And only one other team has put 3 past Slumberland in the League this season .......... and since I asked the question in this thread, you might assume that was Pompey .......... And you'd be right!

Good luck to everyone! .......... Keep the Faith! ....... And thanks for playing!

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-04-2021, 13:12   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: 2020/21 Prediction League; Game 22 v Portsmouth FC (home)

2-0 stanley for me.
Old 26-04-2021, 13:27   #3
Senior Member+

Skates and Scummers - workers in Portsmouth Dockyard went on strike during WW2 , hence "Skates", those in Southampton didn't , so reduced effectiveness of strike, hence "Scummers" - that's the most common explanation down here, no idea whether it's true or not .

Prediction - 2-1 Stanley, no idea whether that's sensible or not .
Old 26-04-2021, 14:04   #4
Senior Member+

Stanley 2 - 2 Pompy
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 14:11   #5

Stanley 1 Portsmouth 1
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 15:12   #6
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

2-0 to the Stanley please D3N.
Old 26-04-2021, 16:35   #7
God Member

2 - 1 to Stanley please
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 16:41   #8
Senior Member+

Stanley 2-1 Pompey please.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 16:48   #9
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

🙂 Accrington Stanley 2 - 1 Portsmouth 🙂 Please for me 🙂
Old 26-04-2021, 17:34   #10

Stanley 0 Portsmouth 2
Taypot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 17:50   #11
Senior Member+

3-0 Stanley, please
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 20:04   #12
Senior Member+

Stanley 2 Pompous 1

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 04:51   #13
Full Member+

Accrington Stanley to win 2-1 please
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 07:30   #14
God Member

3-1 Stanley.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 08:38   #15
God Member

1 all draw.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..