Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2021, 12:44   #1
Senior Member+

2020/21 Prediction League; Game 39 v Burton Albion (home)

Been stupidly busy this week, and we're playing early

The thread opener will likely go up this evening some time, but I need to get the thread started - so here it is .....

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-04-2021, 18:04   #2
Senior Member+

Re: 2020/21 Prediction League; Game 39 v Burton Albion (home)

With all the luck we are having with players at the moment, 1 point will be a good result, but still hope for 3. 2-1 Stanley for me please

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 19:26   #3
Senior Member+

1-0 Stanley, please
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 19:31   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

2-0 stanley fer me.
Old 01-04-2021, 21:22   #6
God Member

2 - 1 to Stanley please
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 23:36   #7
Senior Member+

Accrington Stanley

v

Burton Albion

2020/21 Prediction League Game 39; v Nobrut Nabilo (home)

A wise man (or someone, anyway) pointed out after last Saturday's debacle - (from the French word 'débâcle (verb débâcler', although I don't see how 'debacle' can be a verb; "I debacle, you debacle, she/he/it debacles" doesn't sound right), meaning "a great disaster" or "a complete failure" (not to be confused with "fiasco", which means a "tumultuous breakup of ice in a river", or a "rout") - that The Great Embarrassment of Peterborough 2021 was our heaviest League defeat in 60 years ..... technically, of course, since we're the Phoenix club of the original Accrington Stanley, it's our worst-ever League defeat, but if you include the Stanley team from 1921 to 1962 as well as "Stanley 2; The Return" it's correct .... What I DIDN'T see was a mention of the 1960/61 season record-defeat match details; so, your Starter for Ten; what was our heaviest defeat before the 7-0 rout of Saturday just gone, and which team Did It Unto Us?

Looking that up threw up some other quite interesting stuff (well I thought it was, so yah sucks boo to the rest of you!) ...... Accie joined Div3North for the 1921/22 season and left in 1962; the seasons from 1939/40 (abandoned after three games) and 1946/47 (first after the War) - so seven seasons - didn't happen, meaning we were in the League in our original guise for 33 seasons (excluding 1961/62) ............ Starter for Ten number 2, then; what, and when, was our highest-ever season-finishing position in the Football Pyramid as either version of the Stanley? .... And S for T number 3; Which team was top of the Division Three table in 1939/40 when the season had to be scrapped?

On a separate topic, has anyone looked at the Bananarama League table recently? Sutton United top (four points clear with three games in hand), followed in the Playoff places by six ex-League sides (Hartlepool, Torquay, Stockport, Wrexham, Notts County and Chesterfield) ... and well done to Isthmian League Premier Division (7th Tier) part-timers Hornchurch United (known as "The Urchins", probably because of their proximity to the Sea), whose season is suspended, who've played 16 games in a year, including just 6 since the beginning of November 2020, had already put King's Lynn Town, Maidstone United and Darlington out of the FA Trophy, and who, on Saturday, went to Notts County's Meadow Lane in the Semi-Final of this season's Trophy, and beat them 5-4 on pens after a 3-3 draw (equalising in the 91st minute), and now play Hereford at Wembley in the Final .... Welcome from Scandinavia to English Football, new County Manager Ian Burchnall!

And although we've been living through history for the past 12-15 months (and if that's "living through history" I'd sooner not do it again, muchas gracias!), we've also been - and are - living through Football History of the Refereeing Kind ....

Step forward then French FiFA Ref Stephanie Frappart, who became the first woman to referee a men's World Cup qualifier when she took on Holland's 2-0 win over Latvia on 25th March..... Frappart apparently didn't have any major contentious incidents to deal with ...... And then on Sunday 28th March, Ukranian lady Ref Kateryna Monzul followed as the second to do it when she took charge of Austria's fixture against the Faroe Islands; the 107th-ranked Faroese took a 19th minute lead from Sonni Nattestad (no, seriously), but three in the last 15 minutes of the first half proved enough for Unsere Burschen(which my mate DaveinGermany will translate for you all, as part of our Continuous Education Programme), lifting them into 4th place in Group F, behind Denmark Scotland and Israel......

But if that isn't enough then raise a cheer on Easter Monday, when history will be made as Rebecca Welch blows the whistle to start Harrogate Town’s game against Port Vale — the first time a female referee has been appointed to take charge of an English Football League match. In fact a woman has refereed once before, when Amy Fearn became the first as she came on as a second-half replacement Ref for a Championship clash between Coventry and Nottingham Forest.

Good luck Rebecca - we're rooting for you ....... well, the grumpy old Misogynist Gits might not be, but I am! More puff to your whistle, that's what I say!

And the managerial merry-go-round continues; League Two strugglers Colchester have appointed Hayden Mullins as first-team head coach until the end of the season, moving him from his role as assistant boss to replace Wayne Brown, who'd been in interim charge since Steve Ball was sacked in February. Under Brown, the U's only won once in nine games, and they're four points clear of the bottom two with eight matches left, having just lost to Portly Value and with Barrow still to play ... Colchester Chairman Robbie Cowling called the decision to replace Brown "very tough" (but he did it anyway!) ... and Eddie Howe might be going to Celtic! Watch out for the deep-fried haggis mars bars, Eddie .....

You'll recall that we went to the Brewers' as our second game of the season, and we lost 2-1 (equalising goal by Joe Pritchard on 83 being trumped by John Brayford's winner on 87) .... by the turn of the year, after 22 games, Burton had only won twice (the other one was 4-2 v Charlton), and they'd drawn seven (six half-Desmonds and a ProperDesmond) and lost 13, and they were Deep Dans La Merde in 24th place ......... Jimmy Floyd Hasselhoff had been signed up to replace Jake Buxton, and his first sighting of his team - before he took over - was a 5-1 home thrashing by Oxfud .... since then, they've won 9 in the League, drawn one and lost four (although two of those were their last two games) .... and seven clean sheets

2020/21 signings (since 1st January) include Antigua and Barbuda striker Josh Parker (I've got a couple of his pens!) from the Chairboys, DMF Terry Taylor from Wolves, CB Michael Mancienne from the New England Revolution, LW Danny Rowe from Ipswich, and Cameroon striker Mike Fondop from Aldershot ... we've won 6, drawn four and lost 8 of our League meetings; we won 2-0 at Christmas 2019, but before that it was Feb 2015 (1-0) ... Jimmy Floyd's win record his first time at the Pirelli was 33 of 54 (61.11%); this time it's 9 from 14 (64.29%) ..... for the record, Jimmy, 9 from 15 would be 60% .... Well, we can dream ......

Deadline for entries is, as always, scheduled kick-off time., which is 3.00pm tomorrow (sorry, make that "today") ........ Horrendous injury lists, I suppose, are a fact of footie life (Thank You, Voodoo Gods of Football), but we've really, really been unlucky; that said, we have enough, I think, to feel we'll be safe for another season in Ligue Un .... perhaps we can re-borrow some of this season's successes again for next season? Nathan?

And the last time we lost by seven goals was when Crystal Palace beat us 9-2 (away) in 1960/61; and our very best -ever League place was 5th in the Third Division North in our very first season (1921/22); and the Top of the Table in 1939 when hostilities ended the season was The Stanley - P3 W3 D0 L0 GF6 GA1 Points 6 - one ahead of Halifax, and two above New Brighton and Rochdale .... and Blackpool were top of Div One, and they and we were the only two unbeaten sides ....

Good luck to everyone! ............ Keep the Faith! ............ Stay safe and keep well! ........... And thanks for playing!

DaveinGermany and Stevie R like this.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:06   #8

Stanley 3 Burton 0
Taypot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:38   #9
God Member

Dont like Burton, 3-1 Stanley.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:37   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi John View Post
Dont like Burton, 3-1 Stanley.
They happen don’t like you

Old 02-04-2021, 08:25   #11
God Member

shut my eyes and stuck my pin in stanley 1 burton 2.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:28   #12
God Member

[QUOTE=Kiwi John;1252189]Dont like Burton,

well i hated that bass stuff they brewed there when i used to drink. next worst thing to draught lager for me.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:41   #13
Senior Member+

We’ll do well with a draw

1-1 I think

Old 02-04-2021, 09:15   #14

Stanley 2 Burton 1 please please
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:52   #15
Full Member+

Accrington Stanley to win 2-1 please
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..