Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-04-2021, 23:49   #1
Senior Member+

2020/21 Prediction League; Game 44 v Sunderland AFC (away)

Die Schwarzen Katzen

spielen gegen

Accrington Stanley

2020/21 Prediction League Game 44; v De Svarta Katterna (away)

Since 18th February 2021, AFC Slumberland has been 'owned' by a 24 year-old French person called Kyril Louis-Dreyfus (not to be confused with the cashiered-but-cleared Jewish French Army Officer Alfred Dreyfus) ......... when he became Chairman and majority shareholder they were 6th in Div One, and currently they're 3rd .......... and that's what happens when you hold your Board Meetings in Foreign (Mr Holt?) or, as Cashie would probably call it, "grenouille" ("Frog")

And talking of Foreign, Fußballclub Gelsenkirchen-Schalke 04 e. V (known as "Die Königsblauen" (The Royal Blues) or "Die Knappen" (The Miners) or - short name - SO4 (like ASC12 but not as clever) have won the Bundesliga seven times (1934/35/37/39/40/42 and 1958; they were runners-up in 2018 ....and who knew they played competitive football during the War? ..... and last Tuesday they went to Armenia Bielefeld and lost 1-0, and so were GreasyPoled for the first time in 30+ years ............. and when they got back to their ground early on Wednesday morning they found an estimated 600 fans waiting for them (which is nice) who threw eggs at them and verbally abused them (which is not) ........... Willkommen zuhause!

And Willkommen to the Wigan Manager's job Leam Nathan Richardson ...... best way to celebrate (which you 'appen won't know, coming from Leeds), is to nip out for a Wigan Kebab (a meat and potato pie in a barm) .... but - Starter for Ten; what's a Wigan Slappy?

So, OK - who researched what a "Rouge" is/was? This came up last match in the context of Sheff Wednesday's first match, which - you'll remember that I told you - was against The Mechanics, and which they won by three goals and four 'rouges' to nil.

A "rouge" was part of the Sheffield Rules of Football from around 1858 to 1877; although the Sheffield laws defining the rouge bore a great deal of similarity to the equivalent rules of the Eton Field Game, there were also significant differences. Sheffield used "rouge flags" on the goal-line at a distance of 4 yards (3.7 m) from each goal-post .

A rouge could be scored by touching the ball down only after it had been kicked between the two rouge flags (so, behind the goal-line), without going into the goal (Eton didn't use rouge flags, allowing a rouge to be scored at any distance from the goalposts). Sheffield also removed Eton's requirement that the attacking player who kicked the ball behind the goal-line had to be "bullied" (tackled / mauled). It was really a bit like Gaelic Football - where you score by kicking or punching the ball into the other team's goals (3 points) or between two upright posts above the goals and over a crossbar 2.5 metres (8.2 ft) above the ground (1 point) - except that this was "between the flags but not into the goal", and the ball had to be touched down..... and in the event of a tie, the team with the most rouges won ...... not sure it'll ever catch on again, but an interesting bit of footie history!

We met I Gatti Neri (The Black Cats) on St Patrick's Day, so we did, and we lost 2-0 at home .... since then they've played eight games, winning two, drawing three, and losing three - nine points ........... and in our last eight we've won three, drawn two and lost three (although the defeats were 7-0, 1-5 and 1-3) - eleven points! After us, they play Blackpool at home, "Mickey Mouse Argyle" (as Ryan Lowe called his own team after a 6-0 home thrashing to Charlton - they last lost 6-0 at home to Reading in Division Three South on 25 August 1956) and the Cobblers ....... And Joey Barton says it's all someone else's fault ("Well he would, wouldn't he" - attributed to Mandy Rice-Davies at the trial of Stephen Ward); and Wigan and the Wombles have both won four in a row, and Rochdale have won their last three

Top of the League One table has Hull (83/43), the Posh (79/42), Sunderland (72/42), Lincoln (72/41), Blackpool (68/41), Charlton (66/41), Oxford (65/43) and Pompey (65/42) .............. Pompey haven't won in four, and they've still got to play us ........Twice!

Deadline for entries is, as always, scheduled kick-off time, which is 3.00pm on Saturday 24th April, and NOT (Stevie R) 11.27pm .... I haven't got a clue what's going to happen here - Will Grigg's been doused and Aiden McGeady might be a doubt ...... and I'm not suggesting that they're a one-player team, but Charlie Wyke has 27 goals, and the next is MF Chris Maguire with 7 ......... and the definition of a Wigan Slappy is apparently "A pie, typically a small meat pie, served inside a sliced barm cake" ..... and it's also called a 'Wiganburger'.

Oh, the cholesterol! Thank God it isn't deep-fried!

Good luck to everyone! .......... Keep the Faith! ......Stay safe and keep well! ............ And thanks for playing!

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-04-2021, 08:58   #2
God Member

Re: 2020/21 Prediction League; Game 44 v Sunderland AFC (away)

darren drysdale, sorry i mean sunderland 2 stanley 0.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 09:11   #3
Senior Member+

3-0 Stanley. please
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 10:47   #4

Sunderland 1 Stanley 1 hopefully
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 11:44   #5
God Member

2 - 2 for me please
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 14:07   #6
Full Member+

Sunderland 1 - Accrington Stanley 1 please.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 14:12   #7
Senior Member+

Stanley 1-3 Sunderland
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 14:25   #8

Sunderland 4 Stanley 1
Taypot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 15:02   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

1-0 stanley
Old 23-04-2021, 19:10   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

2-0 to the Stanley please D3N.

As to Schalke, they've had a right shocker this season & I have a few German mates who are proper jacked off, black armbands all roünd I think.
Old 23-04-2021, 22:08   #11
Senior Member+

usual score is 3-0 for Sunderland, although I once watched a desmond at the SOL a couple of years ago. Depends on which Stanley turn up, hopefully 1-1 this time

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 23:44   #12
God Member

2-2, but a moral victory for us, and the ref will be a disgrace.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 08:42   #13
Senior Member+

I'll try the 2-1 Stanley that worked well for so many on Tuesday ......
Old 24-04-2021, 09:52   #14
Senior Member+

I hate to predict a Stanley defeat - it seems so disloyal. But.... Stanley 1 Sunderland 3. Sorry.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 10:17   #15
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

🙂 Sunderland AFC 1 - 2 Accrington Stanley 🙂 please for me

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..