Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2021, 19:07   #1
Senior Member+

2020/21 Prediction League; Game 46 v Portsmouth (away)

Portsmouth FC

v

Accrington Stanley

2020/21 Prediction League Game 46; v Los Pompanos

You might have noticed - or maybe you didn't - that the bottom eight sides in League One all lost last Saturday ............. with the inevitable consequence that Les Cobblers (after one season) and Los RochdaleDoodles (after seven seasons, including their bestest-ever finish of 8th in 2014/15) both GreasyPoled alongside Swindon and Brizzle (have they sacked El Gobby yet?) ......... and we know that Hull and the Posh are going up "auto", and that Slumberland, The Gargoyles, and Los Tangos are all in the PlayOffs .... which leaves one from three to take the last playoff place

It's pretty straightforward;

i. If Pompey beat us (Cochants Volants!) they'll take the last place whatever happens at the Victor Kiam or the Valley

2. If Pompeii draw and Oxford or Charlton win, whoever wins will take the spot .... if Oxford and Charlton both win. Oxford will take the place UNLESS Charlton beat Hull by five goals more than Oxford beat Burton by .... if all three draw, it's Pompey ...... if Pompey lose and Oxford draw but Charlton don't get anything, The O's go up (better GD); if Pompey and Oxford lose but Charlton draw, it's still Pompey; if Pompey and Oxford only manage nul or 1 point and Charlton win, the Addicks nick it ...

3. If all three teams get the same points, Pompey win the spot; if Pompey lose and Oxford win or draw, it's Oxford unless they draw and Charlton win (then it's Charlton) .... Seemples!

Pompey's last five have gone LLWDW (7 points); Oxford's last five - WWLWW (12); Addicks' last five are WLDDW (8 points) ....... Make of that what you can ...... Bwin have Charlton 6-5 to win, Oxford 4-6 and Pompey 11/20 .... we'll see about that! Refs on Sunday are Martin Coy (Charlton), Thomas Bramall (Oxford) and Sam Purkiss (Pompey) - not a kettle on the range - and I have it on good authority that they're all useless blind numpty BarStewards anyway ...........

Somebody commented a week or two back on another thread that we were now playing sides like Sunderland, Hull, Portsmouth and others on equal terms, as it were .... pointing out how far we've come in recent years ........ and I made the point there that we were also taking points off them .... and to make my case, can I just remind you that we've taken points off all the top 8 sides in League One this season? We beat Hull and Posh at home, Oxford and Charlton away, and we took four points from Charlton, three from Hull, Posh and Oxford, two from Blackpool and Lincoln, one from Sunderland, and one (so far) from Pompey .... and of the 15 games played so far against those luminaries, we've lost just FOUR ..... and nobody did the double over us ... so let no-one tell you we're not where we are on merit, because we sure as hell are! Well played Lads!

And while we're talking about the European Cup/Champion's League ... oh, weren't we? ..... well done to Chelski and the Man City Cosmopolitan World Dominance XI on reaching this year's Final Final; not, as you'll maybe know, the first time two English sides have contested the Final - it happened in 2008 (Man U beat Chelsea 6-5 in the shoot-out after a half Desmond) and 2019 (Liverpool beat Spurs 2-0) .... and English sides won 6 years in a row in the 1970/80s (Liverpool, Liverpool, Forest, Forest, Liverpool and Villa) ........ and Forest only played in two Finals and won them both (1979 v Malmo 1-0, and 1980 v Hamburg 1-0), and Villa only played in one, and they won it (v Bayern, 1-0, in 1982) ........ and three English sides have played in one Final each, and lost it; Arsenal, Spurs, and the third team - beaten by Bayern 2-0 in 1975 - (Starter for Ten) ............ was - who?

No transfer news worth discussing ..... Charlton's MF Jake Foster-Caskey has done his ACL for the second time in three years (good luck to him for his recovery, but last time it was 8 months) ..... Ed Sheeran (who's apparently a singist - what happened to Vera Lynn, I say), is sponsoring the Tractor Boys and Girls shirts for next season, but keep that to yourselves - Need To Know (I didn't but I do now) .....

Torquay now have their Bananarama Fate in their own hands (but a few games to go); Bolton are still in the automatic slots in League Deux, although if Morecambe win at home to the Bantams and Bolton don't beat Crawley and/or Cambridge don't beat or draw with Grimsby, Morecambe could be with us in Tier 3 next season .... And Who Comes Down from Le Championnat is three from four still, with Wycombe at Middlebrough, Rotherham at Cardiff and the Owls going to Pride Park ..... Wycombe and Wednesday are on 40 points, Rotherham - who've had enough games in hand to be in the top 6 if they could have won any of them - on 41, and Derby on 43; Wycombe's GD is -33, Rotherham's is -16, and Derby's -22 trumps Wednesday's -21 unless the Owls get a nest-full!

And just the 45 managers have lost (or in a few cases, given up) their jobs this season (The Special One might have a tough time at Roma, I'd guess) ..... And Brora Rangers of the Highland League (who I've adopted on your behalves since Fort William's season lasted only one game - a 10-0 defeat) lost the home leg of their playoff against Kelty Hearts from Fife (Lowland League) for the right to try and tip Brechin City out of Scottish League 2 ........ Kelty Hearts are managed by Barry Ferguson - ex Rangers, Blackburn, Brum and Blackpool (Need To Know only)

So; Game number 495 for Me and Him .......... and we thank you for your support, and for being good mates, and for playing along (you might want to get your medication made a little stronger - or try nicotine patches) ........... and I wouldn't be surprised if we see you again next season, cos we're daft like that ..... but next season, please Persuade a Friend to play as well .... assuming you have one!

Deadline for entries is, as always, scheduled kick off time, which is (or used to be, anyway) Sunday Opening Time (12.00 noon on 9th May) .... And good luck to those who can still win the PL ...... and thanks again to the kind donor/donoress of our Grand Prize, whose name we have changed (to protect the innocent) to #MrorMrsorMissAnonymous

And the 1975 European Cup Final was lost by ......... Leeds United ...... and a Pompano (heading) is a fish ....... And don't forget the match is on Sky!

And "Hereward the Wake Up It's 4.30" sends his Best Regards .......... And so do I ..... And so does He! And it's still -

Good luck to everyone! .......... Keep the Faith! ....... And thanks for playing! ........ See you all in August ......

Probably!

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-05-2021, 20:09   #3
Senior Member+

Re: 2020/21 Prediction League; Game 46 v Portsmouth (away)

We are going to be ‘Spoil Sports’’.....
Portsmouth 1-2 Stanley for me please!
Thank you for running the league again this season!
Div3North likes this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 22:35   #4
God Member

With all the pressure being on Portsmouth, our lads can just relax, play as we know they can & just enjoy themselves. I'm going for a 3 - 2 win for Stanley please
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:35   #5
Senior Member+

3-1 Stanley, please.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:40   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

2-1 stanley stuff em.
MikeA likes this.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:40   #7
Full Member+

2-2 Draw please
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:53   #8

Portsmouth 1 Stanley3 please
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:04   #9
God Member

portsmouth 3 stanley 2.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:56   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

2-0 to the Stanley please D3N.

And to the Super Duo, many thanks for the She-ites & Giggles over the season!

I thank you, Stan & Ollie!
Div3North likes this.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:59   #11

Portsmouth 3 Stanley 2
Taypot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:31   #12
Senior Member+

I'll go for a 1 - 1 draw please D3N.

Many thanks to you and Chimer for your splendid work during the season. Hopefully next season we can get back to Saturday 3pm kick-offs and my tiny brain cell will be able to remember to post a prediction.
Div3North likes this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 20:41   #13

Stanley 0 Pompey 2

and echo what Bernard said in previous post re gratitude to 3rd Div N and Chimer.
Div3North likes this.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 23:58   #14
Senior Member+

For the first time this year I can watch the boys live in the league although it looks like it starts at 4 a.m. here, so, why not 4 in a row. Stanley 1-1 Pompy and grassyass, in my best french, for all the work again guys, you're a treasure to all us outcasts, much appreciated.
MikeA, cashman and Div3North like this.
ossy kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 07:14   #15
God Member

2-0 to us..and thank u very much for running this comp AND the very entertaining thread starters.
Div3North likes this.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..