Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2022, 10:55   #1
Senior Member+

2021/22 Prediction League; Game 29 v Ipswich Town (away)

Ipswich Town

v

Accrington Stanley FC

2021/22 Prediction League Game 29; v The Suffolk Fair-Maids (away)

Well, well, well ........... Seventh son of a seventh son or what? From the last game thread;

"But the winner, as far as I can find, on 2,925 days, is Chelsea defender Lewis Baker: he made his debut - briefly - in Chelsea's FA Cup win over Derby on 5th January 2014, and made his second Chelsea first-team appearance in their 5-1 FA Cup win over Chesterfield on Saturday 8th January 2022 ..... apparently he had several 'long term loans' in between ..........."

And no sooner do I tell you all about "Our Lewis" at The Bridge of Stamford than the news is announced that he's moved in the Transfer Window and is now a Stoke City player on a two and a half year contract .......... and I hope he does better than two games in 16 years (which is what he managed in London) in the Poetries!

And I'd imagine you're all broadly aware that Fulham are sticking the ball in the net for fun, and have been doing pretty much all season .......... top of Le Championnat, they've scored 70 in 26 League games, and let in just 23 (so, one conceded for every three they score) ........ Serbian striker Aleksandar Mitrović (Hello Novak - what's the weather like in Melbourne?!) has 27 to his name so far, and is very much running away with the Golden Boot (Tier 2) - not that I think there is one ..... and it isn't Scott Parker any more, who left By Mutual Thingy in pre-season - it's now Marco Silva

So far this season Fulham have won 7-0 at Blackburn and at Reading (who beat them 2-1 in the reverse fixture!), 6-2 against Bristol Cities and Brum in consecutive games, 5-1 at the Terriers, and put four past Brum in the first meeting (4-1 at St Andrew's) to add to the 6-2 later on, and also put four in the nets of QPR, Forest and Barnsley, plus hitting 3 against Stoke, Swansea and the Baggies (all at the Cottage) .......... Lee Bowyer, Brum's manager, said ...

"We didn't do too much wrong and then they go 'bang, goal'. You can't stop the power, the strength, the quality they have. They're quality all over the pitch, they're a different animal to us and everything they do is with a purpose. We're a hard working team and no matter how hard the players tried, they still couldn't get close to them.

We kept Mitrovic quiet but they've got so many players all over the pitch - the left-back's come and screamed one in from 25 yards. It's a tough night and we have to put that behind us."

To be fair, when they're played you twice in a season and won both games with an aggregate score of 10-3 I suppose you would feel like that ....
Within a period of eight days (11th to 18th January 2022) Fulham won 7-0 at Reading, 6-2 at home to Bristol, and 6-2 against Brum, also on the banks of the Thames ............. which leads me to this week's Starter for Ten .......... Which was the last FL side before Fulham to score six or more goals in three consecutive fixture, when did it happen, and name any of the three hammered teams?

Meantime, back in Suffolk .......... The reason for the sub-heading ("The Suffolk Fair-Maids") is that I was trying to work out what you call someone from Ipswich ("Ipswichian"? "Ipswicher?" "Ipswichist"?) and so I searched t'Interweb, which gave me,

"Most English counties have nicknames for people from that county, such as a Tyke from Yorkshire and a Yellowbelly from Lincolnshire (I thought - from my extensive knowledge of Cowboy and Indian films - that that was a variety of snake....) A traditional nickname for people from Suffolk is 'Suffolk Fair-Maids', referring to the supposed beauty of its female inhabitants in the Middle Ages." Golly!

Returning to the footie .......

The club was founded on 16 October 1878 as an amateur side known as Ipswich A.F.C: their first match was a 6–1 home victory over Stoke Wanderers on 2 November 1878. This was followed by a 2–0 victory over Harwich in the club's first away match. Ipswich recorded their biggest ever victory during the 1880–81 season, a 15–0 defeat of East Stamford with one player, John Knights, registering a treble hat trick; both achievements remain club records. The team moved to Portman Road in 1884, and until 1936 shared the facilities with the East Suffolk Cricket Club who had played there since 1855.

In 1936, local businessman Leonard P. Thompson threatened to lead a breakaway from the amateur club to create an entirely separate professional club, Ipswich United. John Murray Cobbold, the club President, called together rival factions for a meeting at the Town Hall on 1 May 1936, at which it was agreed that Ipswich Town should turn professional. The club was unanimously elected to the Southern League for the 1936–37 season.

The club's first professional game at Portman Road resulted in a 4–1 win against Tunbridge Wells Rangers, and they went on to win the Southern League in their debut season. The Manager left after just one season following the death of his wife, and Ipswich were manager-less until 10 November 1936 when the club appointed Scott Duncan, who had left recently relegated Manchester United: he led Ipswich to third place in the 1937–38 season. They were elected to The Football League on 30 May 1938 by a margin of two votes at the expense of Gillingham F.C., initially playing in Division Three (South). The club's last competitive match before the league was suspended due to the Second World War was a 1–1 draw with local rivals, Norwich City. Despite the interruption due to the war, Duncan managed the club for over 500 games between 1937 and 1955. Following three successive top-eight finishes, the 1949–50 season ended with Ipswich in 17th position in Division Three (South), the club's lowest ever league finish.

Leaping forward - past Alf Ramsay and Bobby Robson - Paul Hurst was appointed as manager for the start of the 2018–19 season, with the club heralding it as "a new era". He was sacked less than five months later after securing a single victory in fourteen league matches, leaving Ipswich bottom of the Championship. On 27 October 2018, former Norwich manager Paul Lambert was appointed as the new manager. Winning 3 games in the next 28 resulted in Ipswich being relegated to the third tier of English football for the first time since 1957, with relegation being confirmed following a one-all draw with Birmingham City on 13 April 2019. They finished their first season in League One in eleventh: in the 2020–21 season, they continued to struggle and found themselves in tenth place in January. This prompted local newspaper East Anglian Daily Times to call for Lambert to be sacked as Ipswich manager, and he left the club by mutual consent (ie sacked, but described differently) on 28 February 2021.

Former Wigan Athletic manager Paul Cook was appointed as replacement for Lambert and handed a contract until 2023 on 2 March 2021. Ipswich ended the 2020–21 season in League One in ninth position, playing 46, scoring 46 and conceding 46 ........ boring!

Over the summer they got rid of 24 players (see previous Ipswich thread) and brought in 16 "pre-owned" new stars (ditto) ...... In the Window they've bought GK Christian Walton from Brighton (or Hove, or both) and borrowed Bristol City MF Tyreeq Jamal Adeshina Oliveira Bakinson ......... of the 24 Departed, five went to Colchester (who are now 22nd in League Two, which tells you something), as did current loanee LB Myles Kenlock ...

Home record is W5 D6 L2 (2-0 to Rotherham and 5-2 to Bolton, who did the double over them last time out) ....... away record is W4 D2 L7 .......... GF stand at 43, GA 36 ... their last ten games (since 3rd November, so 2.5 months), shows 3 wins, 3 draws and 4 defeats: on 2nd October we went one down at the Wham (Macauley Bonne), but second half strikes from His Ermintrude the Bishop of Wham and Harry of the Pells gave us the points (which was an improvement on last season, when they did us 2-1 twice .............).They went out of the FA Cup 2-0 at Barrow in a second round replay, out of the EFL Cup 1-0 at home to the Exiles (well done Exile!) in Round 1, and out of the Troffy 4-3 on pens after a Desmond against Arsenal u9s in Round 2

Deadline for entries is as always scheduled kick-off time, which is 3.00pm on Saturday 22nd January 2022 (or, as we statisticians refer to it, 22122 - and just after 10.00pm in a month's time it'll be 22.22 hours on 22.2.22, otherwise 222222222 .........) And back to the Starter for Ten; the last FL team to score six or more in three consecutive games before Fulham did it recently was, would you believe, Chester City in 1933/34; they beat Rochdale 7-1, Accie 7-0 and Darlo 8-0 in three matches shortly before Christmas 1933 (all at home) ...... but during the season they also lost 5-0 at Walsall, 6-1 at Tranmere (which was the game before the Three Big Wins), 6-1 at Chesterfield, 9-0 at Barrow and 6-0 at Rochdale in the return fixture ............. so not a team that travelled very well! Guess they didn't do many Goalless Desmonds in them days either!

Over the season they played Rochdale twice (obviously), won once, lost once, scored 7 and conceded 7 too ......... and Accie got a 4-1 revenge win as well ........... Their home record that season was W11 D6 L4 GF59 GA26, and away it was W6 D0 L15 GF30 GA60 - overall, P42 W17 D6 L19 GF89 GA86 and 40 points (2 for a win) - giving them 10th place plus a slot in the record books: and if they hadn't won 8 of their final 10 games (losing only to Rochdale and us) they could well have had to scrap for re-election .....

Manager Kieran McKenna (appointed 16th December) has had four league fixtures so far - beating Wycombe 1-0 and Gillingham 4-0 (away), drawing with Slumberland 1-1 and losing last time out to Bolton ............. mid-term report reads "Could do better - see me", a process we can assist by a stunning Away Victory ...... or even an ordinary Away Victory, really ....

And for Cashie's information, our Useless Blind Numpty for this game is Geoff Eltringham ........ and Helen Edwards - not a name I know - is running one of the lines at Morecambe

Good luck to everyone! ............. Keep on Keeping the Faith! ............ And thanks for playing!

COYR!

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-01-2022, 11:04   #2
God Member

Re: 2021/22 Prediction League; Game 29 v Ipswich Town (away)

2 apiece each for me please
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 11:23   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

1-0 stanley fer me.
Old 21-01-2022, 11:34   #4
Full Member+

2-2 draw please
Watchdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 11:36   #5
Senior Member+

1-1 please
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 12:44   #6
Full Member+

Them 3 - 0 Accrington Stanley
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 13:50   #7

Ipswich 1 Stanley 2 please
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 15:26   #8
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

2-1 to the Stanley please D3N.

And the below is you "Waxing lyrical" one presumes?

"and I hope he does better than two games in 16 years (which is what he managed in London) in the Poetries!"
Old 21-01-2022, 15:52   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
2-1 to the Stanley please D3N.

And the below is you "Waxing lyrical" one presumes?

"and I hope he does better than two games in 16 years (which is what he managed in London) in the Poetries!"
Are you implying I can’t spell Pottyeries?

MikeA and DaveinGermany like this.
Old 21-01-2022, 16:03   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

potterys i reckon lol
Old 21-01-2022, 16:23   #11
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div3North View Post

Far be it for me to decry your lexiconic crafting my dear Chap! You just crack on with your weekly whimsical musings & factual eloquence, all is much admired & digested.
Old 21-01-2022, 16:52   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div3North View Post

Do the buses there still have PMT?
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 17:03   #13
Senior Member+

NOTICE

Do not take DaveInGermany and me either seriously or literally

He’s as crackers as I am

And yes, Poetries was a whimsical rambling ……

DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 21-01-2022, 17:39   #14
Senior Member+

2-1 Stanley, with a little bit of magic from somewhere ...
Old 21-01-2022, 17:47   #15

Stanley 2 Ipswich 0
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..