Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Next Season's Squad (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/next-seasons-squad-3923.html)

JEFF 27-04-2004 12:25

Next Season's Squad

I see on the website that the profiles list has been updated. We only have 16 players now plus John & Jimmy. Darren Kempson has been included. Does this mean that he will still be with us next season ? I hope so.

KIPAX 27-04-2004 12:37

Re: Next Season's Squad

I asked Darren after the Exeter game if he was staying another season. He just smiled and said he didn't know yet.

simon 27-04-2004 12:48

If Kempson is maybe........One or two others are still having talks (i bet Jonathan smith is one) This figure of 16 could drop a few more :(

Now I am coming to terms with our lose of quite a few players.............I am starting to get Excited about the new ones that must be coming :) Colley would not leave himself short ;) he must be confident getting his men :):)

KIPAX 27-04-2004 12:56

Coley said last season that 24 is the number of squad members he thinks we should have. But that was part time. Can we afford 24 at full time...

RUMOUR
For possible players coming in take a look at Leigh RMI forward David Macniven .. He scored more than Mullin this season and thats playing for a bad relegation team.. How many for us? His 6 yellow cards apposed to Mully 1 yellow may need adressing...

simon 27-04-2004 13:03

That would make a lot of people very happy if that RUMOUR came true:) :)

By RUMOUR kipax do you mean you have anything or just hopeful ???:)

KIPAX 27-04-2004 13:05

"Rumour" It's under R in the dictionary mate :)

Tin Monkey 27-04-2004 13:31

We've signed these one season wonders before. Look at Darren Schofield and Lee Butterworth. Top scorers before we got our hands on them! :rolleyes:

McNiven is actually a fairly local lad. A bloke I work with said both McNiven and his brother played local youth football with his son.

The thing that worries me is that the Leigh fans don't really rate him and as Kipax said, that's playing in a bad team. :o

KIPAX 27-04-2004 13:48

The others havent gone yet and accoding to tonights Telegraph Deano will be playing against Barrow on Wed.. theres yer chance to wave goodbye..

Jimbo T Hornblower 27-04-2004 20:36

What Why Who When Where?? :confused: :eek: :eek: :confused:

Jimbo T :horn8: blower

Smiffy16 27-04-2004 20:50

Strengthening one area in the side obviously will be central midfield....Couple of seasons ago i watched blackburn reserves for a season at Ewood...and don't know if any of you remember him the captain Darren Dunning....He got released by Rovers last year and now is playing at York City who are coming down to the conference and there manager Chris Brass has said he's having a huge clear-out because of the big wage bill....he was a good player at Rovers but never could cut it in the Premiership.....But I think he would be a great asset to our side for next season...He's still quite young think he's 25 and he still has a lot of good football ahead of him....Just what we need

Outback Ozzy 27-04-2004 22:56

What about the call for Lee McEvilly to return. I for one would applaud such a move, because he was so versatile when he spent time with us earlier this year. Also I too hope Darren Kempson is signed permanently He would make a good asset. But who else is going to leave the club. IMO I think it is time for Steve Halford to hang up his boots, I just think he is a half yard too slow for the Conference. Plus his reputation doesn't do him any good either. I do hope though that the likes of Peter Cavanagh also clean up their act. I remember him saying after his first draft for the England game against Italy that he needed to be more careful, but since then, how many yellow cards has he had? Lets hope the only table we come bottom of next season is the fair play league. Any other comments for fellow readers on who should stay and who should go??

:rose8: :rose8: :wave8: :notworthy :notworthy

Oldgobbin 28-04-2004 09:07

Steve Halford ? Hang up his boots....? He's only 23 for God's sake! Yes he has a reputation but I reckon he's still as good as most defenders in the Conference and probably better than anyone else WE'VE got! You might just as well say Rory should go 'cos he cheats (which, if we're brutally honest with ourselves, we know is true!) and he has a reputaion for diving. The people I think Coley should be looking to offload are the likes of Steve Flitcroft and Paul Howarth, who, in my opinion don't have the basic quality to make a go of it in the Conference. I know that view may be controversial, but, even this season, they've only had value as emergency stand-ins and if, in Coley's opinion Deano and Goucky haven't got what it takes for full-time football, then I'm absolutely sure those two don't.

Tin Monkey 28-04-2004 10:08

Kempson has been offered a full-time contract with Preston, so I very much doubt he'll be signing for us. Of course, if it suited PNE, they could let him stay with us on loan for the season.

AccyMad 28-04-2004 10:22

What exactly has Paul Howarth done wrong? He waited patiently for God knows how long for his chance & when it came he played brilliantly & didn't put a foot wrong - his goal against Aldershot in December & a certain penalty against Bournemouth just 2 examples. For some reason he got shuffled off back to the sidelines once Cav had served his bans & Fitzgerald came in but given a proper chance he is a damn good player & is Stanley through & through!

JEFF 28-04-2004 11:38

Cav is a right sided defender, Paul Haworth is a right sided defender, to accommodate Paul then Cav has to be switched to the left side. Paul is fine for cover, but if deciding who to play I would chose Cav.
I also thing that Steve Halford is just not good enough for the Conference and I don't think that Jonathon Smith is good enough. Both players are a bit slow to react, but Coley makes the decisions and I am sure everyone will support the decisions he makes.