Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Let Down By The Press...Again (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/let-down-by-the-press-again-5049.html)

Wynonie Harris 28-07-2004 15:47

Let Down By The Press...Again

So, once again, the Evening Telegraph have sullied the club's name by referring to a fan of another club as an "Accrington Stanley hooligan".

I would like to know a couple of things; firstly, why the local press seem determined to create bad publicity for us and, secondly, why do the police refer to these fans as "Accrington Stanley hooligans" in the first place? The latest one is Burnley season ticket holder, so what the hell has he got to do with us??!!

Stanley4Life 28-07-2004 15:53

Re: Let Down By The Press...Again

probably because he lives in accy

somebody phone up and complain it is not fair on the club

i would but im on hol.

glosterred 28-07-2004 16:14

what are the press thinking of???? the thug in question may live in accy but is a season ticket holder at burnley surely even a journalist can work this one out. the telegraph should be made to publish a front page apology to stanley and if not the club should seriously think about banning them from stanley games....once could be put down to an error of judgement.....twice would appear to be some sort of campaign to besmirch the good name of stanley.

Tealeaf 28-07-2004 16:15

He lives in Ossy, thats what he's got do do with us.

The Telegraph are quite crafty on this; they first say "Described as an Accrington Stanley Fan" & then in the next paragraph say "described by police as an Accrington Stanley Fan"...they're very careful in naming who's describing him, (but it's not the telegraph.)

I think this article is simply designed to stir up publicity and get an argument going, nowt else than that

Ceejache 28-07-2004 17:54

All authorities involved should know that the only trouble caused at Stanley (the little that there is) is all caused by so called Burnley 'fans' who cant be bothered to travel to cause bother so who come down to the Stanley because they see it as an 'easy option'. If I remember rightly, and if it is the same moron, then this bother happened at a match not involving Stanley. As far as I recall I haven't ever seen any 'Stanley hooligans' at the Crown. I suppose the LET are just reporting what others have said.....but maybe it would be wise for them to let Eric have a say...meaning that if he is an 'Accrington Stanley hooligan' then he would be known to the club.....my money says that the club and us (the supporters) have hardly seen this idiot at the Crown.

baldy 28-07-2004 18:15

the only trouble i have seen is when coley and the aldershot manager had a little
disagreement

i dont think all this STANLEY HOLLIGANISM has come from
is it to get stanley fans buying thier paper

AccyStanFan 28-07-2004 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by baldy

i dont think all this STANLEY HOLLIGANISM has come from
is it to get stanley fans buying thier paper

doubt that would work.

slater_scott 28-07-2004 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf
He lives in Ossy, thats what he's got do do with us.

The Telegraph are quite crafty on this; they first say "Described as an Accrington Stanley Fan" & then in the next paragraph say "described by police as an Accrington Stanley Fan"...they're very careful in naming who's describing him, (but it's not the telegraph.)

I think this article is simply designed to stir up publicity and get an argument going, nowt else than that

It isnt the same one that beat up a blackburn fan on a bus is it.

Burnley fans seem to be uncivilised, i cant go to burnley with a rovers shirt on yet i am in danger on my own "turf".

Christies Child 28-07-2004 23:00

Glass Houses comes to mind.

Bazf 29-07-2004 02:20

Why?.........explain

Ceejache 29-07-2004 08:06

I wouldn't even dream of wearing a Rovers top in Burnley (or anywhere else for that matter!) and vice versa! Or a Liverpool top in Manchester (or Surrey!), Newcastle top in Sunderland etc. I have never understood why people have their clubs sticker in the back window of their cars - it just seems to say "put my windscreen through please"......

I think CC was referring to the fact that Rovers fans aren't angels either - they have a hooligan element just like Burnley....just seems that it always seems to be the ones in Claret and Blue shirts who act like walking lobotomies (sp?) at the Crown. Apologies to true Burnley fans - this is purely my observation.

Bazf 29-07-2004 16:44

Point taken I thought he was refering to Accy fans who have no history of holliganism or as far as I know lobotomies either.

Jimbo T Hornblower 01-08-2004 14:31

How stupid can a journalist be? Its like calling me a Brighton and Hove Albion thug/yob :eek:

Jimbo T :horn8: blower

AccyStanFan 01-08-2004 14:35

arnt u? :D

davy_boy 01-08-2004 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
So, once again, the Evening Telegraph have sullied the club's name by referring to a fan of another club as an "Accrington Stanley hooligan".

I would like to know a couple of things; firstly, why the local press seem determined to create bad publicity for us and, secondly, why do the police refer to these fans as "Accrington Stanley hooligans" in the first place? The latest one is Burnley season ticket holder, so what the hell has he got to do with us??!!

Nowt :confused:
They should get their facts right first before drawing Stanley into it, and the police should know better.
Just because he lives in Accy, so what?
Many Man Utd fans live south of Oxford. :D