Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Brian Clough RIP (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/brian-clough-rip-5621.html)

KIPAX 20-09-2004 15:20

Brian Clough RIP

The best England manager that never was

Sad to read of his death :(

Smiffy16 20-09-2004 15:25

Re: Brian Clough RIP

Yes really bad news

RIP

Doug 20-09-2004 15:32

I agree, a sad loss to the country and at 69 no age to die. RIP.

Ceejache 20-09-2004 15:40

He has been sadly missed by the game for the last eleven years - he would never have tolerated jumped up little muppets like Kieron Dyer refusing to play in a position and other such namby-pamby dummy spitting incidents that seem to run rife in modern day football. Sadly he will now be sorely missed in life as well.

Clough Story - When Teddy Sheringham fisrt broke into the Forest team he approached Cloughie to ask for some tickets for his family. Cloughie replied - "Edward, if your f*****g family wont pay to watch you play who will?!"

loweiy 20-09-2004 16:52

a sad day

"now then young man!"

steve 20-09-2004 17:50

Top Man.....RIP

qualtrough 20-09-2004 18:10

Very sad news indeed. I agree with Kenny Burns who said that what he achieved in the game was greater than Sir Alf Ramsey winning the world cup circa '66. Great manager: Great man!

SuperAccyStan 20-09-2004 18:11

Rest in Peace, Cloughy

Mik Griff 20-09-2004 21:01

I'll always remember the time he was slapping those pitch invaders lol

I dont remember it directly but ive seen it on film many a time. :D

RIP

Fearon1 20-09-2004 21:22

RIP Cloughy

Bagpuss 20-09-2004 22:45

I had a lot of respect for him up till the time of Hillsborough.

I lost all respect for this man when he made a mockery of the memories of Hillsborough April 89. Just because he's passed away doesn't mean I'll change my view.

My sympathies go to his family but my respect went years ago.....

He retracted his comments since then, but there was no excuse for what he said, repeated and published.

Otherwise he was a great manager.

qualtrough 21-09-2004 14:17

Great men, unfortunately, are not immune from making mistakes - some of them maybe great mistakes but what I admired most about Cloughie was not what he said but his amazing ability to take an average decent player and make him perform like a worldbeater (John McGovern was a prime example). He did it time and time again. There was the magic and the genius of the man.

Bagpuss 21-09-2004 20:23

To the person who took away karma points because of my opinion of Brian Clough, you left me a message that said "not the time or the place", what Mr Clough said after Hillsborough to promote his book was disgraceful and upset a great many people, its a pity he didn't think about your quote "not the time or the place", before he spoke.

Next time don't be anonymous if you have an opinion I really don't mind who you are, remember this is a forum for your views also.

Shurm 21-09-2004 22:43

Yeah he was a great manager and always seemed to get the best from players if a little unorthodox at times with his methods, and controversial in his views, he was a character though and we always need them, love em or hate em :)

KIPAX 21-09-2004 23:54

That would be me bagpuss and I presumed if I left a comment then it would show who had left it... If you had posted your moans about the bloke 15 minutes later then at least it wouldnt have been on the day of his death...

We all make mistakes in life but the worse thing that can happen to us is to die.. I feel the day someone dies is the day you either give your condolances or say nothing... Moan about him after the funaral. or after the day he died.. but not on the day..... not the day he dies.. thats just sick IN MY OPINION.

Thats why I took the karma and I really did think it would show you who took it if i left that comment. I am probably the least anonymous person on this messageboard.. I thought I would make my point to you privatly in that way rather than publicly and start an argumant..

I have taken it off two poeple in the accystanley area... one for slagging off england and st georges day.. and one for having a pop at brian clough on the day he died instead of waiting...

And guess what.. I stand by both and couldnt give a toss what you or anyone else thinks of that.. happy ? well I am :)