Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   New Manager (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/new-manager-64160.html)

smobile 30-04-2013 13:48

New Manager

Might as well kick this one off……..

Who do we want as the next manager of our wonderful club ?

I am going to stick my neck out and say John Coleman and Jimmy Bell. They gave us 13 years of brilliant service and loyalty before finally being tempted to try their hand at a HIGHER level. Unlike the snake who slithered off to another club in the same division as us and Leam who appears to have gone to be Phil Neal to the snakes Graham Taylor.

cashman 30-04-2013 14:00

Re: New Manager

No way Hose fer me,:eek: Never go back, Body language speaks volumes to me, n before they left, that said it all. They did a great job whilst here, but fer me had come to the end. Much prefer a new up n coming guy with stuff to prove.:)

SamF 30-04-2013 14:05

Coley for me - tried and tested will keep us in the league

StanleyBill 30-04-2013 14:05

No way do we want them back. Paul Stephenson for me!

cashman 30-04-2013 14:11

Leam kept us in the league, on obviously much less wages than coley n jimmy, how would yeh suggest that would be funded Sam?:confused:

SamF 30-04-2013 14:14

Same way we'll have to fund any other bloke?

Doug 30-04-2013 14:14

For me the big question is why? Why have we lost 3 Managers in such a short time, not one of them where sacked or pushed; ok maybe some where pushed, no one is saying so we won't get to know.

John and Jimmy for me; yes Coleys body language was significant prior to his departure; but again why? The Board; Money; Single personality clash, what!

Wages not paid. CCJ's. Managers diving overboard after pulling off one of the best survival efforts in ages. Something is very wrong somewhere.

smobile 30-04-2013 14:20

I can understand where you are coming from Cashy with a young, hungry manager and I agree that it would be ideal.

Only problem is that we keep getting our fingers burned, when they get 12 months under their belt and think they're the new Sir Alex and sod off somewhere else.

We need a bit of stability and i don't reckon the dynamic duo would be as hasty to move on again, should the chance come.

It's hard enough having to start rebuilding the squad from scratch every summer, without having to do it with the manager too.

I have a feeling that Mr Beattie may be asked to step up, but who knows.....

The only loyalty in football these days is us fans.

cashman 30-04-2013 14:24

Aye but would they work fer far less money?:confused: Doubt it meself,:confused: Were as a young hungry type we could afford. thats my logic.

pifco 30-04-2013 14:27

I'm not one for bringing back past managers because in most instances it never seems to work, but, after saying that I doubt if we can have a hugh list of people to pick from on our budget. I just hope that whoever we get can keep most of the players, we don't want to start next season with another new squad.
I am also upset by the fact that we seem to becoming a copy of Blackburn Rovers with such a turnover in managers.

smobile 30-04-2013 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by pifco (Post 1056475)
I'm not one for bringing back past managers because in most instances it never seems to work, but, after saying that I doubt if we can have a hugh list of people to pick from on our budget. I just hope that whoever we get can keep most of the players, we don't want to start next season with another new squad.
I am also upset by the fact that we seem to becoming a copy of Blackburn Rovers with such a turnover in managers.

Except we keep getting the compo, whereas them clowns keep paying it out. :D

SamF 30-04-2013 14:37

Re: Re: New Manager

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1056473)
Aye but would they work fer far less money?:confused: Doubt it meself,:confused: Were as a young hungry type we could afford. thats my logic.

I can understand that logic as far as players are concerned as in young therefore equals cheap however a young and hungry manager is early to mid 30's likely to have a wife and young kids to support.

For me our potential candidates are those who are inexperienced but have money from previous jobs i.e. ex-pro's or those of an age where the mortgage is paid off and the kids have left home.

Tin Monkey 30-04-2013 14:43

I suggested on the previous 2 occasions that we needed to go for someone young, hungry and looking to step up from cutting their teeth in the lower leagues. Garry Flitcroft and Matt Jenson would get my vote again.

yerself 30-04-2013 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by pifco
we can have a hugh list

Ok, I'll go for Hugh Laurie.:D:rolleyes:

cashman 30-04-2013 14:46

True Sam, but Leam took it fer a starting point n to be honest ive been well pleased wi job hes done, n i heard hes got a family, A club wi our meagre resources will probably always have to go fer that type of thing, same wi players, mainly frees n loans etc. Anyone doing ok here will always move on to better, its a fact n summat we should get used too.:) Good Vid from Rob on fishy.

cashman 30-04-2013 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tin Monkey (Post 1056479)
I suggested on the previous 2 occasions that we needed to go for someone young, hungry and looking to step up from cutting their teeth in the lower leagues. Garry Flitcroft and Matt Jenson would get my vote again.

Gary Flitcroft could be a good bet, slong as yeh lock yer wives n girlfriends up.:D;)

yerself 30-04-2013 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tin Monkey
I suggested on the previous 2 occasions that we needed to go for someone young, hungry

Suarez?

smudgie 30-04-2013 15:31

Well this one will split the fans, thats for sure.

My opinion......... I have absolutely NO IDEA !

Nobody can deny what JC and Bell achieved in their time here but personally I would like a fresh approach, as other's have said they looked tired of the club and the struggle before they left.

One thing I would do for sure is involve Beattie somehow, his speech was magnificent on Sunday evening.

Div3North 30-04-2013 15:35

BBC Sport website. Longish piece about JB and JC who appear to want to come back .....

Mr Matthew 30-04-2013 16:08

I think it's a done deal for JC and JB TBH.

If it was up to me I'd throw Mr Accrington Stanley, Paul Mullin's name into the hat.

DAV007 30-04-2013 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamF (Post 1056464)
Coley for me - tried and tested will keep us in the league

Agree 100%

The football genius will keep us in the league and continue to find gems to sell on and challenge up the league.

John Coleman is Mr. Accrington Stanley

Chubbyman 30-04-2013 16:18

JC @JB coming back to Stanley would be a giant step backwards.On BBC JB goes on about how they would like to come back and how they love the club.....Rochdale v Stanley... Rochdale score JB jumped that high he nearly landed on the centre circle....Leave them where they are,thanks for the past....but leave them in the past!!!!

DAV007 30-04-2013 16:23

He was getting lots of stick and it was a reaction.

Coleman is perfect for us.

shillelagh 30-04-2013 16:30

listening to radio lancs just now .. and dan jewell was on ...he says that there has already been applications from experienced managers been sent in .. and that rob heys says that it will probably be june by the time someone is in place .. as interviews have to take place ....

Chubbyman 30-04-2013 16:34

I think DAV007 is either JC or JB or alternatively married to one of them!!!!!!!!

ddevil2006 30-04-2013 16:45

please dont rise to dav007

DAV007 30-04-2013 16:47

Or just a Stanley fan who loves the club.

Sorry for having a different opinion

Chubbyman 30-04-2013 16:50

You wanted Leam out,so you've got your wish,just hope the next part of your wish doesn't come to fruition!!!!!!!

Pendle Red 30-04-2013 16:52

Set the Budgets, Set the Criteria and then roll it out as one of only 72 Football League Clubs trust me there will be some high calibre candidates.

No need to panic whoever becomes Manager has to take the Club forward and virtually rebuild the Squad but that can also be viewed as a clean slate.

It's a Big question for the Board but one that can help shape us in a direction we want to go.

jaysay 30-04-2013 17:11

You can't turn the clock back, it never works in football either in management or playing, a new broom sweeps clean and its a new start next August

DAV007 30-04-2013 17:25

Never?
Not true

johnc 30-04-2013 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1056516)
You can't turn the clock back, it never works in football either in management or playing, a new broom sweeps clean and its a new start next August

Worked out well at Bournemouth

jaysay 30-04-2013 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnc (Post 1056530)
Worked out well at Bournemouth

Ya but look where he'd been though:D

DAV007 30-04-2013 18:12

When jaysay says never, you know its not never!

Chimer 30-04-2013 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAV007 (Post 1056535)

1. :eek: Don't you two start again ffs.

2. If we did get JC and JB back, what price Sean's return - and the end of the longest thread ever?:D

jaysay 30-04-2013 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAV007 (Post 1056535)

It is in your case lochinvar:tongueout

Redraine 30-04-2013 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimer (Post 1056540)
If we did get JC and JB back, what price Sean's return - and the end of the longest thread ever?:D

If all that actually comes to pass it would destroy all sense of great anticipation I have felt this season on my walks up Whalley road to the Crown ground. It sure would test my commitment to the Reds.

stanley convert 30-04-2013 18:37

Well i,m putting my money on JC & JB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! getting offered and taking the Southport job.

lancsdave 30-04-2013 18:38

Tough choice for the board. Tried and tested, which probably means trying to find a bigger budget, or possibly a rookie who knows the game well, has plenty of coaching skills, lots of contacts and is used to not getting paid. I vote Ash Hoskin :)

lancsdave 30-04-2013 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley convert (Post 1056547)
Well i,m putting my money on JC & JB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! getting offered and taking the Southport job.

Gary Brabin is rumoured to have been given the job.

Stanleymad 30-04-2013 18:40

Ideal time for clean slate what irks me the most is the chance of old brooms sweeping that clean slate, if so my presence won't be there.

smudgie 30-04-2013 18:56

I vote Mike Bassett :D

lancsdave 30-04-2013 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 1056561)
I vote Mike Bassett :D

With Bertie as his assistant. Well it takes all sorts :)

neilhaj 30-04-2013 19:37

can anyone find any odds on next manager? i can't think that they'd offer it to anyone else other than John and Jimmy and i'd like to make some money :D

DAV007 30-04-2013 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redraine (Post 1056544)
If all that actually comes to pass it would destroy all sense of great anticipation I have felt this season on my walks up Whalley road to the Crown ground. It sure would test my commitment to the Reds.

Call yourself a real fan?
Disgraceful comment

DAV007 30-04-2013 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanleymad (Post 1056553)
Ideal time for clean slate what irks me the most is the chance of old brooms sweeping that clean slate, if so my presence won't be there.

Please expand

FrankMoody 30-04-2013 20:04

I would guess that Beattie will be given a chance if he fancies it

Clearviewsimon 30-04-2013 20:38

If Edgar Davids can get the Barnet Job I'm going For Maradonna as our next gaffer...

shakermaker 30-04-2013 20:41

Coleman and Bell in as soon as they can get here from Kirkby.

For me it's a no-brainer. They are available, have been involved with the squad (directly or indirectly) over the past few months and know our club better than anyone.

The other options as far as I'm concerned are as follows: Either get in an unproven young coach with little-to-no experience with good contacts or get a basement league journeyman who has been doing the rounds for years not achieving anything. The young coach would use us as a spring and leave after 12-18 months, the older head would find the infrastructure unworkable and probably see us relegated. This is where is backward steps lie in my opinion.

http://andrewomarafootball.blogspot....ccrington.html

Redraine 30-04-2013 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAV007 (Post 1056570)
Call yourself a real fan?
Disgraceful comment

I don't know your definition of a real fan, but the reasons for my opinions on Coley and Jimmy, and very indirectly on Sean Mac, are roughly in line with those of countless Dale fans, and also their "new" manager incidentally. Smudgie is dead right to say this issue will split the Stanley fans right down the middle.

SamF 30-04-2013 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermaker (Post 1056579)

For me it's a no-brainer. They are available, have been involved with the squad (directly or indirectly) over the past few months and know our club better than anyone.

The other options as far as I'm concerned are as follows: Either get in an unproven young coach with little-to-no experience with good contacts or get a basement league journeyman who has been doing the rounds for years not achieving anything. The young coach would use us as a spring and leave after 12-18 months, the older head would find the infrastructure unworkable and probably see us relegated. This is where is backward steps lie in my opinion.

http://andrewomarafootball.blogspot....ccrington.html

This.

accybeme 30-04-2013 20:45

JC & JB have tipped their hats into the ring, perhaps the chicken farmers will be the next?

FansNetwork/RochdaleAFC.com - Back in Acc? - Rochdale news

choirboy 30-04-2013 21:08

John and Jimmy leaving us was the end of a very long and succesful chapter in the "book of Accrington Stanley".:) Cooky and Leam have barely recorded a few lines between chapters.:confused: I am looking forward to another long read of the next chapter, whoever the manager will be.:rolleyes: When reading a book I sometimes look back at previous chapters to remind me of the story line but then of course you have to pick up the story where you left off and continue reading.
When one door closes another door opens and it is time to look forward once again. Looking forward to reading the next chapter!!!:mosher:

Alvin the chipmunk 30-04-2013 21:09

If I were Coley I wouldn't come back. He could win the Champions League by beating Barcelona 5-1 and the comments on here would read "having watched the updates on the red button as I was too busy painting the bathroom to go...I can't believe he let Messi get that consolation. COLEMAN OUT".

I also love how Coley delivered unparalleled success and is accused of "walking out". Whereas Leam took two years of wages as a crock....the club stuck by him during a horrendous run and yet it's a case of "bad move but I wish him well". If the face fits eh?

I'm quite willing to take a step backwards if that step involves the play-off campaign of 2011. Quite simply John and Jimmy set a standard that we have come nowhere near since he departed.

At least suggest a viable alternative.......

cashman 30-04-2013 21:13

Like i said every forums got its dumbos,:rolleyes: Please highlight were people accused Coley of walking out, cos i can't remember any. Thats never been n issue as far as i'm aware, still if it suits yer bias Alvin.:rolleyes:

DAV007 30-04-2013 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk (Post 1056593)
If I were Coley I wouldn't come back. He could win the Champions League by beating Barcelona 5-1 and the comments on here would read "having watched the updates on the red button as I was too busy painting the bathroom to go...I can't believe he let Messi get that consolation. COLEMAN OUT".

I also love how Coley delivered unparalleled success and is accused of "walking out". Whereas Leam took two years of wages as a crock....the club stuck by him during a horrendous run and yet it's a case of "bad move but I wish him well". If the face fits eh?

I'm quite willing to take a step backwards if that step involves the play-off campaign of 2011. Quite simply John and Jimmy set a standard that we have come nowhere near since he departed.

At least suggest a viable alternative.......

Alvin, I couldnt agree more.

Some of the regular posters on here are the biggest hypocrites I know.

The ignorance is this case is not bliss, its disgusting.

Some people should be ashamed of themselves.

John Coleman is the best thing to ever happen to Accrington since 1968, but a few old moaners will have you believe otherwise!

maccawozzagod 30-04-2013 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermaker (Post 1056579)

View From The Cow Shed: Leam Richardson leaves Accrington Stanley

100% with you on this Shakey.

there are a plethora of lower league managers who make a career out of getting sacked. That wouldn't happen with us, they'd stay in the job until we were relegated out of sight.

There are celebrity managers but these come with an entourage of cameo pals who all want paying. They invariably want things that we couldn't provide - such as paying :rolleyes:

Young and hungry, hmm, where to start on dissing this one. Yes it can work but I'mo not sure I'd be willing to trust the future of the club to someone inexperienced. The Flitcroft/Jansen partnership is interesting though as that would throw up possibilities in aiding the rats deserting HMS Ewood - and that could help to sustain our future.

Coley and Bell. They had their faults undoubtedly but a majority of the gripe is that they deserted us for Rochdale. Sorry but they gave us 13 years and almost as many trophies, you can't seriously begrudge them a change of scenery? There are feck all guarantee's in hiring a manager (or indeed with providing a Fleetwoodesque playing budget and finishing bottom half six points above us) but at least we know what we'd get with these two;

We'd get two affable scousers who clearly have an affinity with the club and who fight tooth and nail for us. I'm adamant with the rest of you that the club has moved on behind the scenes since they left - but is that not because they had to, and that it would have happened anyway?

If Eric Whalley was still at the club I would suggest that this entire episode had been cooked up at the Christmas Party 2011.

"tell 'ee what fellas, we need some more brass, they're aint enough washers fer t'pay t'stewards"
"go hed lad, where wheeze gonna get some like"
"well, thee two can sod off and we'll get compo from them daft Manc Buggars, then we'll bring that Chef back from Dublin and get compo when he goes. Tha can puddit in t'contract that 'ee 'as to tek Leam wi'im an'all - then we get more compo. Give it a year or so get yersens booted and thi can come back"
"bloody hell la, I bet I can get Westley to give us anundred grand for Proccy as well, then he can come back as our present to the fans"
(Jimmy chips in) "I bet I can get R Sean to come b..."

Stanleymad 30-04-2013 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAV007 (Post 1056571)
Please expand

Please expand what?

Not that it matters anyway :rolleyes:

As far as many are concerned coley&bell FC is the way to go...!

Lets bring back Gilbraith while we are at it:tongueout

cashman 30-04-2013 21:27

Thats rubbish macca saying club moved on but would have happened anyway, We would have gone to the wall simple as, if Mr Khan had not stepped in. Yer memorys getting worse than mine n i'm n owd fart.

SamF 30-04-2013 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccawozzagod (Post 1056601)

If Eric Whalley was still at the club I would suggest that this entire episode had been cooked up at the Christmas Party 2011.

"tell 'ee what fellas, we need some more brass, they're aint enough washers fer t'pay t'stewards"
"go hed lad, where wheeze gonna get some like"
"well, thee two can sod off and we'll get compo from them daft Manc Buggars, then we'll bring that Chef back from Dublin and get compo when he goes. Tha can puddit in t'contract that 'ee 'as to tek Leam wi'im an'all - then we get more compo. Give it a year or so get yersens booted and thi can come back"
"bloody hell la, I bet I can get Westley to give us anundred grand for Proccy as well, then he can come back as our present to the fans"
(Jimmy chips in) "I bet I can get R Sean to come b..."

Made me chuckle

Alvin the chipmunk 30-04-2013 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1056595)
Like i said every forums got its dumbos,:rolleyes: Please highlight were people accused Coley of walking out, cos i can't remember any. Thats never been n issue as far as i'm aware, still if it suits yer bias Alvin.:rolleyes:

Here you go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smobile (Post 1038135)
He knows what it takes and has no apparent designs on the top job, otherwise he would have thrown his hat in the ring when coley walked.

At least until the end of the season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi John (Post 1038129)
Coley and Bell dumped us mid season. .

If you want generic anti-Coley comments we would be here all day.

Its akin to saying I need a new headteacher for a school. The last one secured outstanding results and wants to come back. Oh no let's not go backwards.....let's appoint the milkman instead. Lunacy.

The question is not Coley or not Coley.....it is why are factions of the support SO vehemently opposed to the second coming? What are the reasons?

carpon 30-04-2013 21:42

What concerns me is how long we leave it before making an appointment.:confused:

It's all well and good Heys talking about having the time to make a considered choice on the right man for the job. But leave it too long and the new guy faces an even bigger uphill battle.:(

Most clubs are already doing business with players and their agents securing new faces for next season. If we leave it too long, not only will we probably lose any chance we have of keeping our better players, but we'll struggle to find adequate quality replacements.

Heys also mentioned that they've already had a number of quality applicants putting themselves forward. Now unless we are waiting for Mourinho and Mancini's applications, we should probably already have an idea of who actually wants the job and who the board could work with. I also can't really see us forking out compo to anybody to poach any young up and coming manager. And would the board take a gamble with our hard fought for League status on such a manager???:confused:

Add to that Coley & Bell probably, nay definately, have the jump on any of the other applicants in terms of experience of working within the constraints of the role, then I'd have thought the best thing to do would be make a reasonably quick decision.

If it is to be Coley & Bell, I'd be surprised if they weren't appointed before the weekend.:o

At the moment, I'm struggling to think of any better candidates and IF they are interested & keen to return, then the odds on the "second coming" of the Messiah and his able assistant would appear to be quite short.

DAV007 30-04-2013 21:57

If they dont choose Coley and Bell, I hope stanley dont end up with a football league journeyman like a paul sturrock, brian little or john gregory.

If it is not the be the return of Coley, then go for someone young and well connected.
Phil Neville?

Coley and Bell would be my 1st choice, 2nd choice and 3rd choice.

But I would rather see us go with someone new with something to prove who would be willing to come on cheaper wages and a shorter deal who we could afford to sack if it didnt work out; we must not get bogged down with someone who has had more clubs than hot dinners.

lancsdave 30-04-2013 22:03

If Phil Neville was to go straight in to management he would go to Bury, he probably owns a big chunk of it

yonmon 30-04-2013 22:11

"We want to repay that faith by building a squad that is capable of pushing to League One and beyond.".....J.Bell.

But then....."Fine words butter no parsnips".

So what's it to be. Can JC and JB returning to the scene of past triumphs but yet the bosom of the Club from which they defected when Dame Lucre flashed her seductive eyes, really deliver
the actions which mean more than just flattery or idle promises ?. .or will this impassioned plea turn out to be little more than a death-rattle for the pair ?. This imponderable must surely make the task of selecting a new leader a more difficult prospect for the Club !.some very interesting times afoot for us to deliberate upon methinks ?.

carpon 30-04-2013 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAV007 (Post 1056620)
If it is not the be the return of Coley, then go for someone young and well connected.
Phil Neville?

:lol:You really are deluded aren't you:yelrotflm

Alvin the chipmunk 30-04-2013 22:15

The Flitcroft/Jansen pairing does appeal to me....IF the dynamic duo do not return.

cashman 30-04-2013 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk (Post 1056633)
The Flitcroft/Jansen pairing does appeal to me....IF the dynamic duo do not return.

I could live wi that, also Ashley Hoskins would be a possible to me.:)

carpon 30-04-2013 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk (Post 1056633)

Big gamble that one. Something akin to giving Beattie & Jeffers a shot at the job. And given that Chorley are short of cash at the moment, after somebody did a disappearing act with about £70k from their club coffers, they'd want top dollar when it comes to compo.

Not sure I'd want to gamble on that one myself:(

Jeg Red 30-04-2013 22:24

Great post, Carpon.

After getting over the initial shock, my mind kept coming back to Phil Neville, but I think it's unlikely.

Paul Cook has had loads of stick for the timing of his departure - he didn't control the timing of the opportunity that came his way - and in some ways, Leam's departure is worse given the relatively short time we have to try and get contracts sorted for players wanted at the club next season, sound out potential new players etc. Not many players will show much interest in playing for a manager less club, let alone sign, so I think there is a reasonable degree of urgency for us in making a new appointment.

Much as I would rather not see Coleman and Bell back in charge, I fear they will increasingly look the best option for a variety of reasons.

DAV007 30-04-2013 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpon (Post 1056636)
Big gamble that one. Something akin to giving Beattie & Jeffers a shot at the job. And given that Chorley are short of cash at the moment, after somebody did a disappearing act with about £70k from their club coffers, they'd want top dollar when it comes to compo.

Not sure I'd want to gamble on that one myself:(

Agree.

Can Carpon explain why Phil Neville, if Coley and Bell where not selected, would be such a bad suggestion?

cashman 30-04-2013 22:29

Don't think Phil Nev is a bad suggestion, But Bury has always been his club.;) In fact think his mam still works yon?

carpon 30-04-2013 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeg Red (Post 1056637)
and in some ways, Leam's departure is worse given the relatively short time we have to try and get contracts sorted for players wanted at the club next season, sound out potential new players etc. Not many players will show much interest in playing for a manager less club, let alone sign, so I think there is a reasonable degree of urgency for us in making a new appointment.

Much as I would rather not see Coleman and Bell back in charge, I fear they will increasingly look the best option for a variety of reasons.

And therin is the main crux of the matter. Chesterfield have all the info they need to prize away our better players. A bloke who awarded and negotiated the majority of their contracts and an assistant who has got the best out of them when the "chips were down" so to speak.

Personally, I think Richardson has the makings of being a much better manager than Cook will ever be. Which makes Leam's decision to go working as his number two baffling and all the more unpalatable. :o

Now if we make a quick appointment of Coley & Bell, maybe, just maybe they would manage to persuade key players that it would be worth hanging around at the Crown for another season to be part of a revolution so to speak. I'm sure they could probably bend player's ears about making them better players.

And add to that Coleman has proved countless times already is an alchemist when it comes to nurting undiscovered talent.....

I'm no bookie and as yet haven't seen any markets offered for our next manager by any of the bookies, but I'd imagine Coleman ( & Bell ) will be massive odds on favourite for the job.

carpon 30-04-2013 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAV007 (Post 1056639)
Can Carpon explain why Phil Neville, if Coley and Bell where not selected, would be such a bad suggestion?

More likely an "un-realistic" suggestion.

For numerous reasons. Mainly his affinity and connections to Bury and his probable wage demands.

Bury fans are in the dark about their current financial situation at the moment. Numerous rumours doing the rounds among Shakers fans are that the Neville family are supposed to be one of the "interested" parties looking to invest.

By that reckoning if the Nevilles did invest and invest in a big way (i.e stump up most or all of the supposed £1million they want to secure things long term) , Phil therfore has the perfect opening to his managerial career.:rolleyes:

And secondly, I can't see a character like Phil Neville working for comparative peanuts at Stanley.:o

DAV007 30-04-2013 23:00

fair points.

Lets hope its Coley and we dont need to speculate on other candidates.

mab 30-04-2013 23:24

How about Henning Berg:) would'nt want a fortune in wages and might even buy acouple of players with his interest;)

carpon 30-04-2013 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAV007 (Post 1056654)

Lets hope its Coley and we dont need to speculate on other candidates.

IF Coley & Bell want to return, then to those fans opposed to their re-appointments, I'd challenge anyone to name two better candidates. Who would work with our budget. And could succeed in driving the club forward???

At the time when Leam was struggling to get results, I was opposed to your calls for the recall of Coley & Bell. I felt Leam deserved a chance to prove his worth and he didn't disappoint !!;)

Obviously Chesterfield ( & more so Cook ) have recognised Leams talent and his achievement in keeping Stanley in the League & working within diffucult conditions & prised him away.

I said it before, I can't blame Leam for going for a better paid job with less responsibility. I do however, think Cook is clever by getting Leam as his assistant, as I feel it will be Richardson's input into Chesterfield that will gain more kudos for Cook than it will Leam. They say Peter Taylor was the leading light in the successful partnership between Cloughie & Taylor at Derby & Forest. I can only see it being similiar for Leam whilst he plays second fiddle to Cook.:(

Hence why I, like others, find it baffling why he wants to be in Cook's shadow rather than in the limelight here.:confused:

Anyway, we now face a different situation and as a result we now find ourselves managerless at a crucial stage where our players are all soon to be out of contract. Quite a few of the lads, Deano, Rommy, Bavs, Podge etc, all know Coley & Bell. And know how they operate. And that could be crucial when it comes to persuading these lads where to sign. We also don't have to pay compo for sacking anybody and have a vacant position ( or positions to fill )

And the longer we dither and stall on making a decision about our next manager, the more difficult the job becomes for the new bloke.:o

And to those who doubt the wisdom of re-appointing Coley & Bell. When they left for 'Dale, we were looking like mounting another assault on the upper echelons of League Two and another tilt at the play-offs.

Cook came in and, if there is one thing to be gratefull to Cook for, he did sign some decent players. Leam stabilised the ship, signed a few more decent players and saw us safe.

We've therefore received four lots of compensation and could get the main men back for nothing (i.e paying compo to someone else ) to oversee a squad containing some cracking players (if they manage to keep the majority, or by some miracle, keep all of the key men on board)

Round pegs, square holes. I can only see re-appointing Coley & Bell as a perfect solution to our problem.:o

maccawozzagod 01-05-2013 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccawozzagod (Post 1056601)
I'm adamant with the rest of you that the club has moved on behind the scenes since they left - but is that not because they had to, and that it would have happened anyway?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1056604)
Thats rubbish macca saying club moved on but would have happened anyway, We would have gone to the wall simple as, if Mr Khan had not stepped in. Yer memorys getting worse than mine n i'm n owd fart.

where have I mentioned the club going to the wall and needing IK to step in?

Coleman and Stanley were as tinpot as they come and we played up to it. Some of it might have been Coleys doing, much of it might have been EW. Once Coleman left and Cook came in a lot was done at professionalising the backroom set-up. I suggest you give yer reading glasses a wobble and try to interpret a post before quoting it!

The inference from many (and Rochdale fans included) is that we would be going back to an unprofessional set-up should they return. Personally I dispute that because a lot has changed since they left and a goodly portion of it is nothing to do with whether they were here or not.

Back to the thread ...

qualities required for the job
an understanding of footballing life without the luxuries
an understanding of what it is like to work with one hand tied behind your back and the other in a tigers mouth - whilst needing a wee and you've got your best suit on
an understanding that quality may be low on the ground so you have to work with what you've got and get the best from it
somebody who understands the club mentality

I'm pretty sure JC ticks every box, is available now and will know the current squad very well due to his alleged recent work with us and obviously still close relationship with the club and recent manager.

For publicity sake I'd like us to release details of the applicants just to try and stir some interest in the club around town.

Phil Neville? still haven't forgiven him for Euro 2000 ....

carpon 01-05-2013 00:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccawozzagod (Post 1056662)
an understanding that quality may be low on the ground so you have to work with what you've got and get the best from it....

Should Coley ( & Bell) be appointed and manage to sign the majority of this squad to new deals, I disagree. We'd have the foundations of a bloody good side at this level.

Quote:

somebody who understands the club mentality....

Nailed on......

Quote:

I'm pretty sure JC ticks every box, is available now and will know the current squad very well due to his alleged recent work with us and obviously still close relationship with the club and recent manager.

Nailed on.....

Quote:

For publicity sake I'd like us to release details of the applicants just to try and stir some interest in the club around town.....

Will never happen. I can't really see "high profile" names applying for the job. With the exception of Coley & Bell (proven candidates for the role) we'd probably have a lot of out of work has beens, Un-tried or tested wannabes....Confidentiality....blah,blah,blah.... Whilst realising the sentiment behind this statement, in reality it won't happen:o

Re-appointing Coley would throw us briefly back into the spotlight. The prodigal son returns & all that. If he then re-ignites the fire that burned during his last stint in charge......:D

As for the town . The interest has waned since we got back to the league. The club have slashed prices in a bid to get numbers up......we now need an appointment to fire the imagination of the public of Accrington. And drag the floating supporter back to the Crown.

cashman 01-05-2013 08:53

Meself after thought i would like to see it offered to James Beattie, wi Franny as assistant n still playing.:) Whilst they would be completely new to football management, I don't see the likes of Mourinho as n option.:) Dunno if they would even be interested or not.

Tin Monkey 01-05-2013 09:06

I find the concept of Coley and Jimmy returning to the club strangely exciting and for all the reasons given on the other threads.

My only concern is that whilst at Rochdale they kept going back for the same old players that they'd had previously, which still puzzles me today. Whilst at Stanley they uncovered some real gems, so why didn't they do the same down the road? Added to that they let one of the best midfield players in L2 walk away from the club because of a 'clash of characters'.

If they are to stage a return, then it needs to happen very quickly.

ianray 01-05-2013 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpon (Post 1056659)
if coley & bell want to return, then to those fans opposed to their re-appointments, i'd challenge anyone to name two better candidates. Who would work with our budget. And could succeed in driving the club forward???

At the time when leam was struggling to get results, i was opposed to your calls for the recall of coley & bell. I felt leam deserved a chance to prove his worth and he didn't disappoint !!;)

obviously chesterfield ( & more so cook ) have recognised leams talent and his achievement in keeping stanley in the league & working within diffucult conditions & prised him away.

I said it before, i can't blame leam for going for a better paid job with less responsibility. I do however, think cook is clever by getting leam as his assistant, as i feel it will be richardson's input into chesterfield that will gain more kudos for cook than it will leam. They say peter taylor was the leading light in the successful partnership between cloughie & taylor at derby & forest. I can only see it being similiar for leam whilst he plays second fiddle to cook.:(

hence why i, like others, find it baffling why he wants to be in cook's shadow rather than in the limelight here.:confused:

Anyway, we now face a different situation and as a result we now find ourselves managerless at a crucial stage where our players are all soon to be out of contract. Quite a few of the lads, deano, rommy, bavs, podge etc, all know coley & bell. And know how they operate. And that could be crucial when it comes to persuading these lads where to sign. We also don't have to pay compo for sacking anybody and have a vacant position ( or positions to fill )

and the longer we dither and stall on making a decision about our next manager, the more difficult the job becomes for the new bloke.:o

and to those who doubt the wisdom of re-appointing coley & bell. When they left for 'dale, we were looking like mounting another assault on the upper echelons of league two and another tilt at the play-offs.

Cook came in and, if there is one thing to be gratefull to cook for, he did sign some decent players. Leam stabilised the ship, signed a few more decent players and saw us safe.

We've therefore received four lots of compensation and could get the main men back for nothing (i.e paying compo to someone else ) to oversee a squad containing some cracking players (if they manage to keep the majority, or by some miracle, keep all of the key men on board)

round pegs, square holes. I can only see re-appointing coley & bell as a perfect solution to our problem.:o

no thanks

ianray 01-05-2013 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by tin monkey (Post 1056695)
i find the concept of coley and jimmy returning to the club strangely exciting and for all the reasons given on the other threads.

My only concern is that whilst at rochdale they kept going back for the same old players that they'd had previously, which still puzzles me today. Whilst at stanley they uncovered some real gems, so why didn't they do the same down the road? Added to that they let one of the best midfield players in l2 walk away from the club because of a 'clash of characters'.

If they are to stage a return, then it needs to happen very quickly.

no thanks

McKayz 01-05-2013 09:55

I'd like to see Coley and Bell back. They know the club and fans inside out and understand Stanley. As much as I think Beattie would do a good job we probably need someone with a bit more experience.

Whoever gets the job it really needs to be done ASAP. We need to work on getting players to sign contracts and getting new players in the door. We can't do that with no manager.

yerself 01-05-2013 10:46

It's never safe to be nostalgic about something until you're absolutely certain there's no chance of its coming back. ~Bill Vaughn

jenglish 01-05-2013 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by mab (Post 1056658)
How about Henning Berg:) would'nt want a fortune in wages and might even buy acouple of players with his interest;)

The Henning Berg that Bury rejected?

McKayz 01-05-2013 13:09

Could be worse. Ian Craney is joking about chucking his CV in for the job! :D

cashman 01-05-2013 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by McKayz (Post 1056747)
Could be worse. Ian Craney is joking about chucking his CV in for the job! :D

Well he may as well hes too fat to play.:D

ianray 01-05-2013 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckayz (Post 1056699)
i'd like to see coley and bell back. They know the club and fans inside out and understand stanley. As much as i think beattie would do a good job we probably need someone with a bit more experience.

Whoever gets the job it really needs to be done asap. We need to work on getting players to sign contracts and getting new players in the door. We can't do that with no manager.

no thanks james beattie

yerself 01-05-2013 14:14

Definition of nepotism
noun
The practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs:

Was this word invented to describe the recruitment and team selection policy of Messrs Coleman & Bell?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

stanley convert 01-05-2013 17:44

QUOTE; I find the concept of Coley and Jimmy returning to the club strangely exciting and for all the reasons given on the other threads.

My only concern is that whilst at Rochdale they kept going back for the same old players that they'd had previously, which still puzzles me today. Whilst at Stanley they uncovered some real gems, so why didn't they do the same down the road? Added to that they let one of the best midfield players in L2 walk away from the club because of a 'clash of characters'.

here here Tin Monkey

IMHO we should be looking elswhere but if they come back so be it, plus if we end up in the same predicament at the end of next season under their charge it would be interesting to see which hymn sheet DAV007 sings from !!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

cashman 01-05-2013 17:47

Doubt very much if he would change his view,if that were to occur,!! Scousers tend to stick together.:D

Revived Red 01-05-2013 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tin Monkey (Post 1056695)
Added to that they let one of the best midfield players in L2 walk away from the club because of a 'clash of characters'.

And a couple of useful full backs in Chris King and Jon Bateson.

Alvin the chipmunk 01-05-2013 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 1056760)
Definition of nepotism
noun
The practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs:

Was this word invented to describe the recruitment and team selection policy of Messrs Coleman & Bell?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

What a pointless and pathetic jibe.Coley knows the Merseyside area...knows who the best Liverpool/Everton drop outs are. Why not utilize those contacts?

I personally couldn't give a rats arse where the players come from as long as we're successful. I cant for the life of me understand this Coley hatred.

Ironic that if not for the teams Coley built....many of those spitting venom towards him wouldn't know where the Crown Ground was.

As for the brilliant "no thanks" comments. Ladies and Gentlemen I give you Accyweb Debater Of The Year 2013!!!

If we drop out of the league we will NEVER come back. Indeed we would probably sink further down the pyramid.

Yet people would rather gamble on any Tom, Dick and Harry than appoint a man with a proven track record of not just keeping the club in the league but pushing onward.

Anybody who remembers the years BC (Before Coleman) would have to be raving mad to disregard Coley.

Alvin the chipmunk 01-05-2013 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revived Red (Post 1056808)
And a couple of useful full backs in Chris King and Jon Bateson.

I think the players he brought into the club more than atone for this. Still don't let facts get in the way of your agenda.

pidge 01-05-2013 19:35

For me you can't look past coleman an bell, no one comes close to what they have done for this club! People do have very short memories, how people say there sad to see leam go is beyond me, he left the club 3 points above the drop an without a few last minute goals we would be relegated comfortably! John an jimmy perfomed miracles over the 13 years they gave us an are both stil young (ish) an can push us on again! Look at the players we sold an got money for from our play off season! Ryan (150.000) mcconville (80.000) gornell (15.000) cisak (15.000) that's a lot of money! I think john an jimmy will bring the exact same brand of football back that we seen that season an some of the best most attractive football av seen. We need to employ the immediately so they can build a similar squad to play attractive watchable football! An not just be happy with surviving in league 2! Cook an richardson have done nothing to make the club any better since john an jimmy left an that's a fact! I for one will be right behind them if they come back!! An whom ever they sign..

The Red Darreners 01-05-2013 21:15

Referring to Coley's body language at the end of his previous tenure is a Red Herring.
Then he was musing on finding a stepping stone up after 13 years lets not forget extraordinary service in one place. OUR place.
Now he's fifteen months older and probably a few years wiser. Judging by his reaction at the whistle on Saturday last,when after an effectively dead rubber he rushed to the touchline to speak to Peter Murphy, he's lost none of his passion for this club. After his (mis)adventures at Spotland, it may be that Stanley offers him the real canvas or which to create his masterpieces. Like Gaudi, sorry Gradi at Crewe.

Fighting against the odds (and regularly triumphing) must have its attractions.

I'd be utterly delighted to welcome him and Jimmy back. Though based on what others have said, James Beattie seems to have demonstrated humongous commitment to the club over recent weeks. Certainly feel I missed out on his speech on Sunday, judging from comments.

Either way pretty sad Leam has gone. The boy did good. Nothing surprises me in football management anymore.................

Revived Red 01-05-2013 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk (Post 1056816)
I think the players he brought into the club more than atone for this. Still don't let facts get in the way of your agenda.

What on earth are you on about? I don't have any agenda. I was merely quoting the names of two other good players that we lost because of "clash of character". Fact.

stanley convert 01-05-2013 21:50

At the end of the day the jury will be split on the return of J&J and to coin a phrase I don,t give a rats arse who is the next manager as long as they do the best for my club, we can throw this about all day long and try to second guess the outcome but the board will decide on the best canidate so there aint no point falling out about it.
My only concern regarding the dynamic duo is if they were to be appointed and it all went wrong which would,nt be good for the club J&J or the fans would the 12 years of success count for nothing as we all know football is a very fickle business to be in.

cashman 01-05-2013 21:59

The 12 years of those 2 will always be remembered by me,thats certain. n i'm one that wants new blood.;)