Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   John Coleman talking to the BBC, (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/john-coleman-talking-to-the-bbc-67832.html)

andyd 22-12-2015 20:39

John Coleman talking to the BBC,

Cumbria floods: Accrington boss criticises Carlisle ground moves

Accrington Stanley manager John Coleman has criticised the Football League for allowing Carlisle United to move their home games because of flooding.
Following flooding at Brunton Park, Carlisle have three 'home' fixtures at neutral grounds and beat Notts County at Preston's Deepdale on Saturday.
Stanley's last two home games were postponed because of waterlogging.
"I'm really upset about how the league's handled the Carlisle affair," Coleman told BBC Radio Lancashire.
"We are now games behind Carlisle. We've had two postponements and they've been allowed to play elsewhere and I don't think it's right or fair.
"I don't think it's fair on the rest of the 23 teams who have to go to Carlisle when some teams won't have to go there.
"I just don't think it's anywhere near any shape or form fair.
"I've got nothing against Carlisle, I wish them all the best in their ventures and what they do, but it's shifting the rules.
"I've got every sympathy for the people that have lost belongings and homes, I'm not decrying any of that - I'm just saying strictly from a football point of view it's an unfair advantage to play at another ground."
The Cumbrians will also play upcoming matches at Blackburn's Ewood Park and Blackpool's Bloomfield Road.

This has sparked quite a bit of flack on Twitter what are our thoughts on here please.

st06nc2 22-12-2015 21:14

Re: John Coleman talking to the BBC,

Don't see why Carlisle fans are in uproar on social media he's just speaking the truth and everything he's said is 100% sense for a change, it isn't fair that some teams have to play there when other teams can play on other better surfaces

AccyMad 22-12-2015 22:01

I don't know, you can hardly compare a game called off because of a waterlogged pitch with the situation Carlisle have found themselves in - in their case it's not just that the pitch was unplayable, from what I saw on the news the whole stadium was unfit for use & they knew it would be quite a while before it could be sorted. I can't see anything wrong in allowing them to play their 'home' games at other grounds for a few weeks while they get back on an even keel.

TheWall 22-12-2015 22:06

Love Coley but ****e comments. I'm back up here on hols with my family who live in Appleby and the place is devastated. I also don't see how it's an advantage to Carlisle it will just fire them up on boxing day

cashman 22-12-2015 22:08

Have to say i agree wi accymad, its ridiculous comparing the situation imho. doubt if there would be a bitch about it,if Carlisle were still down at the bottom end of the table.

deeayess 22-12-2015 22:26

I totally disagree as well. The same happened the season they were in the conference and they were even due to play in Scotland at Gretna but for the weather there postponing it.

It is totally stupid to compare it to a waterlogged pitch. Their stadium infrastructure is affected by this, the club shop was ruined and even the mascot costume lost it's legs!!!

Our local TV station is Border TV and every day brings more grief in Cumbria with the weather and there is no sign of a let up given the weather warnings still in place.

There is nothing to be gained by forcing the club to wait until the ground is ready because that could take weeks. And I'm sure the fans would rather be at Brunton Park than traveling down to Lancashire in dodgy weather over Shap because that's what I have to do to watch Stanley.

Chewbacca 22-12-2015 22:27

I suppose he would want Carlisle not to play for a few months have no income?

He should know better being Stanley manager.

Exile on Spencer St 22-12-2015 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWall (Post 1157137)
I also don't see how it's an advantage to Carlisle it will just fire them up on boxing day

Such obviously silly comments from the Professor that it can only be a wind up. Maybe he's hoping to fill the Crown with irate Cumbrians so Stanley, who have won more games on the road than at home, feel like they are the away team? :rolleyes:

Chewbacca 22-12-2015 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1157141)
Such obviously silly comments from the Professor that it can only be a wind up. Maybe he's hoping to fill the Crown with irate Cumbrians so Stanley, who have won more games on the road than at home, feel like they are the away team? :rolleyes:

Th stupid thing is he makes out it is an advantage to Carlisle as they don't get a fixture clog up as well as the away teams. It can't be an advantage to both.

cashman 22-12-2015 22:47

If it bugs him that much, our management should apply to play our matches postponed at Ewood and Turf Moor, and other local pitches,instead of bitching about them poor sods.:rolleyes:

deeayess 22-12-2015 22:48

It's clear from these pictures that there was no need to move the games and Carlisle were only seeking to gain an advantage :rolleyes:

Nothing more than a waterlogged pitch!

Images from day one of the Brunton Park clear up

Chimer 22-12-2015 23:09

I thought it a foolish and unnecessary statement :o. Not usually considered an advantage to play home games away, is it? And really insensitive to what's happened up there, not to mention the inevitable reaction from other teams' supporters who will all pile in and rubbish us :mad:

Thin Monkey 22-12-2015 23:50

Normally I'm firmly in the "John Coleman is a genius" camp but this is madness.

1) His argument is bonkers.
2) He's handing Keith Curle the sort of motivational tool he could only dream of before a crunch game. The implication is that Carlisle are getting preferential treatment (i.e. cheating) which they're not. If the boot was on the other foot Coleman would be using these comments to help build a siege mentality in his squad.

Coleman is a vastly experienced manager who should know better.

I can only hope Dan isn't left asking JC, come Saturday evening, if his comments might have helped motivate Carlisle to their win.

baldy 23-12-2015 08:22

He has a point but like TM said it just gives them more of an incentive on Saturday now!

On the other hand, How long are Carlisle expecting until theyre back at Brunton Park, 2 months? If that's the case and presuming they're playing at home every other week then that's only 4 home games they have to catch up on (only 2 more than us) between Feb and May!

Dan Jewell has tweeted saying he did the interview and stresses that Coley was having ago at The FA/Football League and not at Carlisle as a whole!

Beat them on Saturday and all will be forgotten!

lancsdave 23-12-2015 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewbacca (Post 1157140)
I suppose he would want Carlisle not to play for a few months have no income?

Not even remotely part of what has been said :confused:

There's a further update on the fishy site

Open letter from John Coleman ? Accrington Stanley FC