Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Sports Hub! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/sports-hub-68858.html)

baldy 02-02-2017 16:17

Sports Hub!

Great news for Stanley Trust and the whole of Accrington in general!

Done unbelievable since they started in 2010. Getting the Stanley name into schools every day as well as involving people of all different ages and abilities, promoting the Stanley name!

Two possible sites earmarked for £2m 'sports hub' in Accrington - Accrington Observer

Exile on Spencer St 02-02-2017 17:27

Re: Sports Hub!

Mr Fearon and his team are doing a fantastic job. Well done to all. Hope the funding comes through.

Shurm 02-02-2017 17:35

Well done

Chimer 02-02-2017 21:29

Can someone please remind an exile (me) where the Higham playing fields are?

Bells are ringing, but I can't lock on ........

I do know where the Wham is, though.

st06nc2 02-02-2017 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimer (Post 1186726)

Bells are ringing, but I can't lock on ........

I do know where the Wham is, though.

Pretty much across road from accy crem

Exile on Spencer St 02-02-2017 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimer (Post 1186726)

They are on the right hand side of Thorneycroft Road (on way to Accie Cricket Club) between that road and the railway line to Burnley. Used to be a swamp when I was a lad but the Council have done some massive remodelling recently.

maccawozzagod 02-02-2017 22:41

1 Attachment(s)
The Community Trust is arguably becoming a bigger entity than the Football Club now!

Seriously though, the CT is doing massive things in the community and isn't shouted about anywhere near enough. There are frequent comments on here about "getting into the schools" etc ... the picture that follows tells you what they have done in the last year

Chimer 03-02-2017 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by st06nc2 (Post 1186727)
Pretty much across road from accy crem

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1186728)
They are on the right hand side of Thorneycroft Road (on way to Accie Cricket Club) between that road and the railway line to Burnley. Used to be a swamp when I was a lad but the Council have done some massive remodelling recently.

Ta muchly both!

Exile on Spencer St 03-02-2017 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1186728)

Ha, ha. Shows I've been in Hampshire too long. It's Thorneyholme Road, not Thorneycroft! :o:o

choirboy 04-02-2017 10:19

Will the Stanley Squad be able to use it as their Training Ground?
(Where do they train at the moment?)

smobile 05-02-2017 13:36

Must admit that I didn't know much about the Stanley Trust until I went to the Supporters Club Presentation before Xmas - I was blown away hearing what they do. They are into ALL the schools, giving away Stanley Branded goodies to get the kids hooked. I really was amazed at everything they were involved with.

Would love the club to be able to make use of Old Accs pitches, that could make it a real extension of the club, with decent training & community facilities.

st06nc2 01-03-2017 20:32

Petition started to keep Higham Playing Fields from becoming home to Accrington Stanley's new £2million sports hub (From Lancashire Telegraph)

A petition to stop it been built, some people really are a joke, don't the people of Accrington want to support the club? Don't they want the town to have facilities to help improve the town, this is a great project for the club and town and will hopefully encourage more young children too Stanley, suprised IT wernt the people near livingstone road complaining though they complains out everything else

Neil 01-03-2017 20:51

I think the sports hub will be good for the area but not if it will mean a loss of freely accessible public land. Many of the users of Highams have no interest in football and use the area for other recreational activities. There is still not enough information about what land will be lost to the public. There is also concern about the funding and management of the facility. This is probably due to its ties to the club and the history of financial issues.

AccyMad 02-03-2017 09:00

I can understand people's reservations but at the moment as far as I'm aware, it's only at the stage of a feasibility study being carried out & I presume more detailed information will be available after that has been completed.
And yes, it's well known that Stanley have a somewhat chequered history with regard to it's finances although hopefully that is now behind us but the Community Trust including their finances is run completely separately to the club.

Lord Stiffupperlip 06-03-2017 18:57

I notice that Accrington Cricket Club (adjacent to Highams) now have a football pitch laid out on their extensive playing field.
I think it's used for boys football. However, as cricket is a summer sport & footy a winter game, would it not be possible for Stanley to use this facility for training during winter?
Naturally the wicket would have to be protected, but there's enough space for 2 full size soccer pitches, even allowing for the wicket section.
I regularly walk past their ground & have never ever seen it flooded or waterlogged.