Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Eric Whalley Stand (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/eric-whalley-stand-70188.html)

VALAIRIAN 18-09-2018 21:41

Eric Whalley Stand

Nice and fitting touch - in my opinion :)

Eric Whalley Stand ? Accrington Stanley

:) :) :)

Lord Didsbury 18-09-2018 21:47

re: Eric Whalley Stand

I’d have called it the Aldershot Military Tattoo Stand.

Wynonie Harris 19-09-2018 07:45

Re: Eric Whalley Stand

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury (Post 1217439)
I’d have called it the Aldershot Military Tattoo Stand.

So I take it your lordship doesn't think the new stand is a good idea?

Shurm 19-09-2018 08:24

I always thought at the end of his reign he was willing to let the club go bust ? Ilyas bailed the club out I thought ? Maybe I'm wrong its a while ago now :rolleyes:

cashman 19-09-2018 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shurm (Post 1217449)
I always thought at the end of his reign he was willing to let the club go bust ? Ilyas bailed the club out I thought ? Maybe I'm wrong its a while ago now :rolleyes:

I was under that impression also.

sherry 19-09-2018 10:39

Quote:

I don't know about 'willing' but it was Ilyas who went to court and prevented the Winding Up Order by meeting the HMRC demand.

widnes viking 19-09-2018 11:56

Quote:

In which way was he "Willing" to do it - So a bloke that puts 100s of thousands in decides he is unable to put more in or feels enough is enough is unwilling?

Very very harsh

ferret man 19-09-2018 12:07

Eric Whalley stand brill, after all the hard work time and money Eric put into the club well deserved. Another person should also have something around the club named after him is Bill Parkinson who did more to kick start the rebirth of the club than anyone. As for Ilyas bailing the club out what Ilyas did was for Ilyas not Accy Stan. A bit more than just my opinion.

Twenty Eight 19-09-2018 12:22

So instead of the seats saying Stanley - they could have said Whalley ?
Same number of letters.
I cant see there being a sign above the stand for it to be named looking at the photos.

ferret man 19-09-2018 12:44

Could change his name by deed poll, Eric Stanley Whalley

cashman 19-09-2018 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1217464)
So instead of the seats saying Stanley - they could have said Whalley ?
Same number of letters.
I cant see there being a sign above the stand for it to be named looking at the photos.

Would the roof not have to be on before a sign could be fixed?:confused:

Fourth official 19-09-2018 15:13

I know that if the 1141 seat stand was full, there'd only be 600 in it, in Eric's world. He did play a bit part in the clubs recent history.

Shurm 19-09-2018 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by widnes viking (Post 1217460)
In which way was he "Willing" to do it - So a bloke that puts 100s of thousands in decides he is unable to put more in or feels enough is enough is unwilling?

Very very harsh

Hmmm yep if someone thinks enough is enough and doesn't want to help anymore I'd call that unwilling !! What would you call it ?

Sorry is it harsh or a FACT ?? I don't seem to have my rose tinted specs on today, all I seem to remember is the Club dying for a 2nd time nearly which would have been scandelous whilst people were trying to raise money to help.

Eric had numerous achievements with the Club and thats what the naming is for but in MY OPINION that was tarnished when the Club nearly died.

If I'd known what the stand was going to be called I wouldn't have paid a tenner for a brick I can assure you.

Chimer 19-09-2018 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferret man (Post 1217461)
As for Ilyas bailing the club out what Ilyas did was for Ilyas not Accy Stan. A bit more than just my opinion.

Put up or shut up?

Lord Stiffupperlip 19-09-2018 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferret man (Post 1217461)
As for Ilyas bailing the club out what Ilyas did was for Ilyas not Accy Stan. A bit more than just my opinion.

Nothing less than an insult to a man who saved Stanley when they stood at the edge of the abyss.
His last minute intervention - and hard cash, prevented a certain winding-up order & laid the foundation that enabled our recovery.