Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Predictability (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/predictability-70352.html)

Revived Red 01-01-2019 20:25

Predictability

Just for a moment, let's set aside abysmal refereeing and think about football.

I have no coaching qualifications and can only comment on what I see. I have a strong feeling that our football is totally predictable. Let me give one example. Anderton gets the ball midway in his own half and makes a surging run forward. We could expect McConville to run ahead to receive a pass down the wing. But this NEVER happens. McConville comes towards Anderton, receives a pass, cuts inside and then seeks to pass. No opposing defender has yet been taken out of the game. We know that Sean's strength is the angled shot from about 20 - 25 yards from the corner of the penalty area. Any opposition worth their salt will prevent this. This nullifies any threat from our left. A threat from the right can be nullified by having two defenders against Jordan Clark, and three to stop an overlapping Callum Johnson.

As for the threat down the middle, a burly defender can soon have Billy Kee in his pocket - by fair means or foul (usually foul).

So if this plan is not working (and the evidence seems to be that it isn't) where is our plan B? My own suggestion would be to take off Sean, bring on Piero - and bring on Big Ben to replace Billy. We then have the potential of crosses from either wing to a striker who stands a good chance of connecting with a powerful header, and who will certainly not be outmuscled by any defender.

No predictability there. But what do I know? I have no coaching qualifications. :hidewall:

cashman 01-01-2019 20:45

Re: Predictability

I have to say there is an absence of a Plan B, as far as i can see.:(

Lord Stiffupperlip 02-01-2019 00:22

I recently highlighted a concerning stat from the home game against the Posh - that leading striker Billy Kee managed only 1 goal attempt throughout the game.
Judging by the responses, many assumed this was a direct criticism of Billy, which was never the intention.
My point was that our prolific 'Golden Boot' winner from last season, had been reduced to 1 meagre attempt on goal.
Last season Billy scored 25 goals & was instrumental in our promotion. We're already over half-way through this season & Billy's total so far is 7
For me this is at the heart of our current slump in form, for we all know that hitting the back of the net is basically what the game is all about.
Scoring a goal is a powerful thing. It instils confidence in the team that scores & demoralises opponents.
We've shipped goals recently & the defence has been criticised.
But just as it's Ripley's job to stop the ball going in our net, it's Kee's job to bang it in the other end.
How much of our inability to hit the target is down to our rigid game plan?
Are we placing too much responsibility on Kee's shoulders expecting him to operate as lone striker?
Surely operating with 1 striker makes it too easy for opponents to nullify any threat.
A great manager is not necessarily one who wins every game, but one who knows what to change when things go wrong.
John Coleman was praised as a football genius last season for achieving the impossible.
We'll see over the next few weeks how good a manager he really is now the going is tough.
Over to you John!

monkey hanger 02-01-2019 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1221447)
I have to say there is an absence of a Plan B, as far as i can see.:(

we have a plan B. its making subs after 85 minutes and then pushing players forward to get a goal back.

Lord Didsbury 02-01-2019 14:21

Lord S -I think Billy only has 3 from open play?

Lord Stiffupperlip 02-01-2019 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury (Post 1221477)
Lord S -I think Billy only has 3 from open play?

Billy's stats show 7 goals, so assume that 4 are from the penalty spot?
In any case, 7 goals from 25 games played is scant reward for over 37 hours of football.
The big question remains - what's gone wrong?

monkey hanger 03-01-2019 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip (Post 1221483)
Billy's stats show 7 goals, so assume that 4 are from the penalty spot?
In any case, 7 goals from 25 games played is scant reward for over 37 hours of football.
The big question remains - what's gone wrong?

simple, better opposition but still puts in a shift and contributes unlike another who has not really come to terms with div.1 football.